Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Parks and Resorts & Facial Technology

I thought the testing on that system hasn’t been working nearly as well as they expected. Even doing express, it fails often.

I wouldn’t be surprised if another company or tech took it over for EU.
It's been breaking down more often the longer they use it. At first it was somewhat OK, but now the hardware seems to have gotten in pretty poor shape , not working more often than working. PLUS, it adds a LOT of time for processing, way more than the previous scanners prior to the facial. It is not a quick or time saving system, as ot currently exists in the Express lines. They've even had it shut down in some of the more high demand attractions.

I don’t know if people here have seen it, but every American company under the sun has been announcing a “cloud computing” partnership with Amazon, Microsoft, or Google. The company gets a long-term contract for cheap data centers and they use some of M/A/G’s AI tech.

Alibaba is in the exact same business. Except, they operate exclusively in China.

I bring this up because the press release sounds like a “cloud computing” press release, but with slightly different wording.

Alibaba won’t be working outside of China. They’re not equipped for it. I would imagine NBCUniversal (or maybe even Comcast...) to announce a big cloud computing deal and one of those big American tech companies may bring facial recognition to the parks.

So Universal's doing a bit of a unique test with facial recognition in the west; as Secret Life of Pets: Off The Leash is going to be using a specialized version of the technology to replicate a person's face and make it look as one of the puppy's in the style that Illumination has done.

1579718495619.png

PR

As I mentioned in the SLoP thread, the idea of this for this ride specifically works. The whole idea is YOU are the pet getting ready to go to YOUR forever home, may as well make us look like a pet! So as a concept that totally works.

But facial recognition is just sketchy and creepy af. I hate that Universal uses it and I hope it does go much further beyond this. I know it will, but I will always be vocal on my frustration of this use of technology. Total breach of privacy. But ultimately, our phones do the same kind of thing. So all tech is invading of personal space. It stinks.

It may be schematics, but “facial recognition” implies storing the data so a particular face can be recognized. If they’re NOT storing it and, instead, simply doing a fancier version of ET saying your name, then it’s just facial mapping.

“Recognition” is the better known term, but using it (I hope) isn’t exactly what they’re doing.

I don't think the tech used in SLoP will be linked to any type of identifying data base. I think it will be more like a Snapchat filter. It won't recognize your specific face, just that you have a face.
I would guess it will be like the snap filter or the MiB guys in the scanner and wouldn't care who or what was really in the RV. I wonder what the photo op will look like on ride?
Just going for re-rideability here

I have this bad feeling that some SJW is going to be offended by the tech being used at SLoP.
Well, privacy advocates (different from SJW). Again, facial recognition is different than facial mapping. Universal, within the context of a ride like this, has no reason to store a face’s biometric data. If they’re storing it, what’s the purpose?

It’s odd. I want clarity on it myself.

Well, privacy advocates (different from SJW). Again, facial recognition is different than facial mapping. Universal, within the context of a ride like this, has no reason to store a face’s biometric data. If they’re storing it, what’s the purpose?

It’s odd. I want clarity on it myself.

I was thinking more along the lines of it guessing gender, race, weight or age wrong but it depends on how much it differentiates between the dogs.

For a storage point of view, I can see them having some kind of temporary storage. Something similar to Spaceship Earth where you can view the image after the ride and post it to your social media or email it to yourself. From that POV, it will be no different than Memory Maker or My Universal Photos where just the .jpg is saved and is probably wiped after a set time with zero identifying information.

thumbnail_image.jpg

Also, just pointing out the small print on your tickets already allow them to record and film you while in the park so they kinda already have your image.

If @Brian G. and @Joe needs to move or remove the post, I understand..but I've been wanting to get it off my chest.

With the effects of COVID-19 affecting things going forward..how has the stance changed in the terms of facial recognition being used on large scale with the parks? Personally, I'm still in the mindset that it makes sense..and even more-so now, considering everything that has been going on. It may allow Universal to keep things in check, for the safety of the park guests, and the safety of the employees. Could it be used against people? Maybe? At this point, I have to think that with how things will be after the Virus goes through it's course..that things will not be the same as they were in the industry.

Still, consider it my brain-scratch thought of the day.

If @Brian G. and @Joe needs to move or remove the post, I understand..but I've been wanting to get it off my chest.

With the effects of COVID-19 affecting things going forward..how has the stance changed in the terms of facial recognition being used on large scale with the parks? Personally, I'm still in the mindset that it makes sense..and even more-so now, considering everything that has been going on. It may allow Universal to keep things in check, for the safety of the park guests, and the safety of the employees. Could it be used against people? Maybe? At this point, I have to think that with how things will be after the Virus goes through it's course..that things will not be the same as they were in the industry.

Still, consider it my brain-scratch thought of the day.
I think it’s a fair question. By the time facial recognition tech is feasible on the scale a theme park will need, privacy concerns will have likely shifted.