Universal Plaza | Page 21 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Plaza

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yea I noticed the new planters when I was there the other day, but couldn't get a good pic due to the walls still being up around the plaza. They look great and the fact that they have benches too was a smart move.

Also... its interesting that they are putting Mr Ping back in the plaza rather than having him closer to the Dreamworks Animated Theatre attraction. Okay, its less interesting and more stupid. Then of course the fact that this return meet-n-greet is happening NOW when summer is halfway over & HHN is right around the corner. It just really makes you wonder what monkeys they have running the show up in those offices...

Yea I noticed the new planters when I was there the other day, but couldn't get a good pic due to the walls still being up around the plaza. They look great and the fact that they have benches too was a smart move.

Also... its interesting that they are putting Mr Ping back in the plaza rather than having him closer to the Dreamworks Animated Theatre attraction. Okay, its less interesting and more stupid. Then of course the fact that this return meet-n-greet is happening NOW when summer is halfway over & HHN is right around the corner. It just really makes you wonder what monkeys they have running the show up in those offices...

I get the feeling they wanted it done sooner, but were stuck in a situation to where they shot themselves in the foot for timing, as since DWT, Donkey has also been kicked from the roster as of now (and that they have mentioned of planning to update the puppet).

I imagine next year, they'll have something more properly figured out so they can have it work for Lunar New Year and then if they do another DWA Summer event, to have Ping back at the proper time.

Mr Ping (like Donkey) should be a permanent character photo-op. They're both big draws due to being a talking character. In a way, they're like Disney's talking character heads.

Donkey has also been kicked from the roster as of now (and that they have mentioned of planning to update the puppet).
An updated puppet would be nice. I'm just curious about the relocation (if that is still in the plans as was mentioned at the media preview for DAT)

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Is Mr. Ping a cartoon character or something?

BlissfulMerryHypsilophodon.gif

This, is Ping.

He's also featured in Kung Fu Panda at the DreamWorks Theater, and was at the 2018 Lunar New Year Event.

That said, holy crap does Mr. Ping like expanding.

Here's a look at the newly redone Noodle shop & photo-op.. It looks so natural in this spot lol

awIWClz.jpg

I5Bzuru.jpg

Vhdt7s2.jpg

Didn't bother taking a pic of the temple backdrop where Po & Tigress do their photo-ops, but the whole area looks good especially with the new bench planters. However, I could do without the ground-level fountains in the center of the plaza.

I have heard that Mr. Ping may eventually replace the current "New York" Street façade near the DreamWorks Theater and become permanent.
That's sad, good, and interesting all at the same time... of course, all I can think is.. "Gee, its not like Universal didn't have all this time post-Lunar New Year to make this happen or anything."

I have heard that Mr. Ping may eventually replace the current "New York" Street façade near the DreamWorks Theater and become permanent.

That would make a lot of sense. That would keep the theming more in line with that area of the park.

If the rumored Pets attraction/Baker St. gets a New York theme, maybe they'll repurpose some or all of the current New York façade over there.

I agree that this area is super nice. I have heard that Mr. Ping may eventually replace the current "New York" Street façade near the DreamWorks Theater and become permanent.

Wouldn't that clash though with what Universal Plaza and UBlvd built (along with the intent of DWT)? Or, would it be as if Mr. Ping is located indoors, and the facades get a Art Deco makeover with the emphasis to meet a certain DWT character at the particular time of day?

Last edited:
Wouldn't that clash though with what Universal Plaza and UBlvd built (along with the intent of DWT)?
Not really. Considering the fact that both times Mr Ping has taken up residence in the Plaza (Lunar New Year & Now), the way it was all designed compliments the existing area & looks like it has always been there since day one.

The only issue is the queue set up for the meet-n-greet would need to be changed. However, considering Donkey doesn't have a permanent designated queue anymore, I'm sure Mr Ping can do without one as well. Just use the velvet ropes!

So with the loss of the Globe Theatre.... where will the park hold its private events? ...look no further than the most inconvenient spot ever for regular park guests.

japS2L2.jpg

Unfortunately, due to this stupid private event/party, I was not able to get a good quality pic of the Universal Monsters facade today. But yea... this is now a thing. Too bad they didn't do quick thinking and install drop shades around the plaza to make it more "private". Blaaahh...

Sooooo we know something is happening here. The full LNY event was cancelled, and I recall a user here saying it'd be gone for a few months for something slightly bigger than a refurb and that Creative was involved. Curious to see what, if anything, comes of it!

I hope its worth it, from the outside. It looks like nothing has happened yet and the last time I was there the Christmas stuff is still up....so not sure whats going on