Universal's Cinematic Celebration Night Show | Page 29 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Cinematic Celebration Night Show

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Without going too off topic, can you explain the Diagon dragon test?

The scaffolding appears to be the same scaffolding they used on the old barges/cinespheres...It is new, of course, but it appears to be made of the same stuff

I think it's permanent
pretty sure the old stuff was galvanized steel. But whatever, time will tell.

Reactions: shiekra38
Correct me if I’m wrong but I am under the impression these are temporary. If they were to be permanent there would have to be some kind of footers poured so that the scaffolding could be “locked down” so to speak. As fast as these are being placed I don’t believe they are securing them to anything underwater. I only say that because to my knowledge there wasnt any kind of prep work underwater for a permanent installation. The type of scaffold with the hooks on both ends lends to the temporary idea as well. Just my thoughts on this whole situation that’s created quite the conversation.

Just my thoughts on this whole situation that’s created quite the conversation.

It’s not everyday that we get daily updates and pics of a complete project being built right in front of us and not being reliant on aerials.

I said it earlier but it’s so fascinating. And we usually have a decent mixture of people in here that genuinely know some stuff and some that are clueless (like me). The pool guy during VB construction is a perfect example of learning stuff I never would’ve thought about.

Regarding these supports- IF:

1) They’re permanent- what could they be?

2) They’re temporary- why? Testing pyro and locations of potential jets prior to final install?

No one has a clue what direction this thing is going. Those projection enclosures could be torn down by Thursday for all we know. Or simply rethemed. Fun to see the progress.

It’s not everyday that we get daily updates and pics of a complete project being built right in front of us and not being reliant on aerials.

I said it earlier but it’s so fascinating. And we usually have a decent mixture of people in here that genuinely know some stuff and some that are clueless (like me). The pool guy during VB construction is a perfect example of learning stuff I never would’ve thought about.

Regarding these supports- IF:

1) They’re permanent- what could they be?

2) They’re temporary- why? Testing pyro and locations of potential jets prior to final install?

No one has a clue what direction this thing is going. Those projection enclosures could be torn down by Thursday for all we know. Or simply rethemed. Fun to see the progress.
Seeing daily progress updates is something we don’t normally get to see because most of the construction is “backstage.” So I agree this is very fascinating to watch this progress and continue the speculation into what it could be.

That’s one of the main reasons why I love this forum is because of the mix of people we have posting that are knowledgeable in different areas. Shameless plug but that was me (formerly llrocknroll87) in the VB thread along with @PeteThePoolMan

As far as why I think it’s temporary is because the materials used and process of installation. For a permanent installation I think we would have seen them drive piles into the ground similar to the piles driven into hourglass lake for the Skyliner project (Disney Gondola system). The what part of the question I would assume for easier access to the work site to install infrastructure to future water show elements. They did remove all the old cable that ran to the barges so they will have to put new cables out and whatever equipment the new show will use.

I could be totally wrong and will be the first to admit it but it’s fun to speculate with what I think it will be. I’m just as curious as everyone else as to what this new show will actually turn into.

My guess is those are temporary so that who ever is responsible to load in the tech systems can stay above the water line without getting wet and only need a diver or two to install. It can't be a permanent structure to load pyro (as some have said) because the waterline is at least 1 foot below normal and once they bring back the water level to normal it would be difficult for the pyro techs to walk across the water loaded with pyro. A small boat for access (like they've done in the past) is a lot safer.

My guess is those are temporary so that who ever is responsible to load in the tech systems can stay above the water line without getting wet and only need a diver or two to install. It can't be a permanent structure to load pyro (as some have said) because the waterline is at least 1 foot below normal and once they bring back the water level to normal it would be difficult for the pyro techs to walk across the water loaded with pyro. A small boat for access (like they've done in the past) is a lot safer.

I don't think anything going into the lake is related to pyro. It'd be for fountains.

I am quite sure it is earth. Back when they built the London embankement wall, that entire surrounding area was drained. The bottom appeared to be lumpy mucky mud.

The USF lagoon was originally gunite and and is very similar to a pool. I would assume even with the London/Potter expansion they wouldn’t abandon that set up as it allows for filtration and color dyes to be added.

The USF lagoon was originally gunite and and is very similar to a pool. I would assume even with the London/Potter expansion they wouldn’t abandon that set up as it allows for filtration and color dyes to be added.

Hmm. You are 100% sure that it is filtered? Aerated perhaps but filtered? I would be fascinated to know for sure.

Reactions: Ridgepole
I am quite sure it is earth. Back when they built the London embankement wall, that entire surrounding area was drained. The bottom appeared to be lumpy mucky mud.
That doesnt mean anything. When I worked Jungle Cruise rehab back in the day (when they made us hourlies do the grunt work) the Hippo pool was about 4 feet of mud and gunk we had to hall out. And that was just from a year. I cant image what all has slid into the lagoon in all these years, since I dont think its ever been fully drained.

That doesnt mean anything. When I worked Jungle Cruise rehab back in the day (when they made us hourlies do the grunt work) the Hippo pool was about 4 feet of mud and gunk we had to hall out. And that was just from a year. I cant image what all has slid into the lagoon in all these years, since I dont think its ever been fully drained.
Good point...Silt happens.

A drained Jungle Cruise is literally the most disgusting thing on the planet.:sick:

A drained Jungle Cruise is literally the most disgusting thing on the planet.:sick:
I can believe it. When I do partial cleaning of my artificial ponds the odor is knockout level. I throw away any clothes I have on for the cleaning, they become uncleanable. But the fish love the muck. The more muck, the better they do.