Universal's Crowding | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Crowding

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
As for workers being sent home early - it happened. Saying it was "half" was hyperbole on my part, but a good chunk went home the other day when no one could figure out where the people were in the park who weren't eating, shopping, or waiting in line. Several areas dropped non-critical positions and let team members leave early that day despite the peak crowds physically within the park.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, have we mentioned the resort early entry at IOA coming back? It forces people in through the Zax-bypass to Lost Continent, and day guests are allowed to roam Seuss itself.

As for workers being sent home early - it happened. Saying it was "half" was hyperbole on my part, but a good chunk went home the other day when no one could figure out where the people were in the park who weren't eating, shopping, or waiting in line. Several areas dropped non-critical positions and let team members leave early that day despite the peak crowds physically within the park.

Do you know what locations/departments in the park this happened in? I know that this happened a lotttt during the summer but it was predominantly in merchandise in non-Potter locations. The differences in the way each area is run and how crowds affect the different departments is most likely the reason for your info being met with conflicting responses.

Eh, it could be that kind of blockbuster movie opening mentality. People get in line to get their ticket. Shuffle into the line to get in to the movie. Shuffle into the theater as soon as it's clean. Never visit the concession stands. Especially something like Diagon and Hogsmeade, which takes a bit of exploring. But with those kinds of crowds, not much freedom to explore going on and the opportunities to spend money there are not so in-your-face.

- - - Updated - - -

And I still believe added hotel rooms will increase evening attendance. You need to think like a tourist and not a local. Tourists like to go back to the rooms and pools to relax and stay out of the hot uncomfortable Florida afternoons. Once a local comes he or she will stay till its time for them to leave for the day.

Also wanted to add that I agree with you there. Trust me, there's a whole phenomenon of pool who leave the parks mid-day for pool and nap and head back to the parks later, after dinner even. This is not a novel idea. Universal has conditioned their guests differently with early closures for years. But if they wanted that piece of the pie in the parks, with additional hotel rooms, it CAN be done.

I consider myself the « perfect » tourist as I usually visit UOR every year or 18 months for 2 or 3 days (more 3 than 2 lately :) ), and I usually stay onsite.

I, for one, would much prefer extended hours at the park (think evening EMH) instead of Early Entry. When on vacation and without kids, we don’t like to get up too early, and we love the mood of the parks by night. When it’s too hot out there, we like to go to the pool in the afternoon, or take a quick nap, that’s what we always do at WDW as their parks close later than at Uni. Closing Universal parks at 7pm or 8 pm seems a bit early for us, as it forces us to go back to eat at the hotel and/or find a restaurant in Citywalk (guess that’s Universal’s plan).

I would definitely stay “late” at the parks but I understand why most people don’t today. For me, what Uni lacks in their parks are:

- A unique, nighttime spectacular in both parks. The actual show is good though, but nothing “unmissable”. Nice tribute show but lacks ambition. It’s not a guest favorite like Fantasmic or World of Color. IOA surely misses a lake show. Maybe a night parade like in USJapan could do the trick and help.
- More and renowned table service restaurants. You don’t really need them for lunch anyway. But look at Epcot’s World Showcase, which is packed every night. Good restaurants, entertainment and a nighttime spectacular are the receipes for success in the evening. Plus, Uni is more targeted towards adults. Food is very important for adults ;)
- More calm, family oriented attractions and shows. Uni lacks in this area, and usually you prefer slow motion rides or shows to sit down at the end of the day, than gut-wrenching simulators and coasters. World Showcase also understood that with its slow boat rides and circle vision movies ^^
- Some attractions that NEED to be experienced at night. At Uni, almost everything is in a box, so they are the same day and night, when you compare that to WDW and its kinetic and moody outdoor attractions that give you a different experience after the sun came down : BTM, TTA, Jungle Cruise, 7Dwarves Mine Train, Railroad, Everest, the upcoming nighttime safari… Globally, Uni should create more experience that are part of the outdoor settings. No wonder that with Diagon Alley being hidden behind a façade, and most of the attractions being hidden as well, Uni parks (especially USF) seem like a dead place after the parade (in off season).

Last edited:
The problem isn't an either or thing (between morning or night hours) or that comcast can't afford the bill, it's just that there's not enough to do yet at either park entertainment-wise.

Sure the parks are filled with rides, but if the only major nighttime is cinespec, then there's little incentive to stay if you've already done most of the rides. A big thing that keeps people in MK is all the shows at the castle, the projection show, Wishes and then MSEP. That's A LOT of nighttime entertainment that has nothing to do with rides and pretty much all of that is missing at Universal.

I know they want to be the cooler, older crowd destination, but to keep people in the parks and make money you have to play the game.

Oh dear...

B6B95gvIYAAqvvt.jpg

I consider myself the « perfect » tourist as I usually visit UOR every year or 18 months for 2 or 3 days (more 3 than 2 lately :) ), and I usually stay onsite.

I, for one, would much prefer extended hours at the park (think evening EMH) instead of Early Entry. When on vacation and without kids, we don’t like to get up too early, and we love the mood of the parks by night. When it’s too hot out there, we like to go to the pool in the afternoon, or take a quick nap, that’s what we always do at WDW as their parks close later than at Uni. Closing Universal parks at 7pm or 8 pm seems a bit early for us, as it forces us to go back to eat at the hotel and/or find a restaurant in Citywalk (guess that’s Universal’s plan).

I would definitely stay “late” at the parks but I understand why most people don’t today. For me, what Uni lacks in their parks are:

- A unique, nighttime spectacular in both parks. The actual show is good though, but nothing “unmissable”. Nice tribute show but lacks ambition. It’s not a guest favorite like Fantasmic or World of Color. IOA surely misses a lake show. Maybe a night parade like in USJapan could do the trick and help.
- More and renowned table service restaurants. You don’t really need them for lunch anyway. But look at Epcot’s World Showcase, which is packed every night. Good restaurants, entertainment and a nighttime spectacular are the receipes for success in the evening. Plus, Uni is more targeted towards adults. Food is very important for adults ;)
- More calm, family oriented attractions and shows. Uni lacks in this area, and usually you prefer slow motion rides or shows to sit down at the end of the day, than gut-wrenching simulators and coasters. World Showcase also understood that with its slow boat rides and circle vision movies ^^
- Some attractions that NEED to be experienced at night. At Uni, almost everything is in a box, so they are the same day and night, when you compare that to WDW and its kinetic and moody outdoor attractions that give you a different experience after the sun came down : BTM, TTA, Jungle Cruise, 7Dwarves Mine Train, Railroad, Everest, the upcoming nighttime safari… Globally, Uni should create more experience that are part of the outdoor settings. No wonder that with Diagon Alley being hidden behind a façade, and most of the attractions being hidden as well, Uni parks (especially USF) seem like a dead place after the parade (in off season).

You bring up some great points and I agree wholehertedly. I cant believe I forgot to mention dining...only 2 sit-downs per park is pretty disappointing, especially when food options are such a huge aspect of theming and placemaking. They got so much right with Mythos, I dont understand why they wouldn't want to take that concept further for more in-park, specifically-themed sit-down dining options.

As for their ride selection, you're very right in that its a lot of similarly-constructed attractions. While IOA has a majority of rides outdoors, Universal could benefit from a ride that changes in experience as the day goes on (especially since most nighttime crowds seem to gravitate to Universal rather than IOA at night).

The problem isn't an either or thing (between morning or night hours) or that comcast can't afford the bill, it's just that there's not enough to do yet at either park entertainment-wise.

Sure the parks are filled with rides, but if the only major nighttime is cinespec, then there's little incentive to stay if you've already done most of the rides. A big thing that keeps people in MK is all the shows at the castle, the projection show, Wishes and then MSEP. That's A LOT of nighttime entertainment that has nothing to do with rides and pretty much all of that is missing at Universal.

I know they want to be the cooler, older crowd destination, but to keep people in the parks and make money you have to play the game.

I was thinking about this too the last time I was walking through the park. It really is more of a rides park. I know some blind Disney fanboys compare Universal to Six Flags because of the Hulk and Dueling Dragons and while thats a dumb reason for comparison, the comparison itself isn't too far off...the mentality behind Six Flags and Universal is very similar...you come to ride rides and see shows and eat at a counter service place and then go home. While obviously Universal is cleaner, themed incredibly, and home of some of the most advanced rides around, it lacks a lot of non-ride attractions that can really make a day at a theme park complete. Diagon Alley has really fixed this problem and they need to keep going in that direction. They need stuff like the World Showcase pavilions or side shows that allow guests to explore and take a break from going from attraction to attraction. What they have now in Superstar Parade and Cinematic are distractions...they need full-blown events.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh dear...

B6B95gvIYAAqvvt.jpg

Holy cow...

I wonder how many tourists in the parks this week are domestic. Low gas prices and a stronger US dollar helped Thanksgiving tourism this year, and should result in strong tourism to Orlando from US residents. I wonder if the ratio of domestic visitors to international visitors has changed at all or has remained relatively steady.

I know I shouldn't be at all, but this is making me just a *tad* nervous for my January 5-9 trip. Would love to hear some wait time reports from anyone in the area today.

I know I shouldn't be at all, but this is making me just a *tad* nervous for my January 5-9 trip. Would love to hear some wait time reports from anyone in the area today.

You should be worried that there won't be anyone there then. Attendance falls into the abyss after January 1 and an empty park is almost as bad as a jammed park.

You should be worried that there won't be anyone there then. Attendance falls into the abyss after January 1 and an empty park is almost as bad as a jammed park.

Believe it or not I've never attempted an early January vacation in all my years living in Florida, and now that I'm out of state, bringing a newtimer, and haven't visited since HHN23 I suppose I'm just paranoid and out of the loop. I don't mind waiting in 45 minute queues for a good ride, of course, I just don't wan to be dealing with gridlock.

Believe it or not I've never attempted an early January vacation in all my years living in Florida, and now that I'm out of state, bringing a newtimer, and haven't visited since HHN23 I suppose I'm just paranoid and out of the loop. I don't mind waiting in 45 minute queues for a good ride, of course, I just don't wan to be dealing with gridlock.

It will be dead. BTW, what rides are going down for a refurb in January?

It will be dead. BTW, what rides are going down for a refurb in January?

Nothing is posted yet on their website, but from what if I'm told, if anything Dudley Do-Right may go down (it's usually first in the rotation of early year water ride shutdowns). Perhaps Twister if that closure pans out, but that's looking less likely.

EDIT: Just double checked their website for the first time in a while. Popeye is scheduled for a 1/5-1/22 refurb. Not a big deal since I don't like to ride it much due to how wet you get. I'd rather have Dudley.

Last edited:
Right about being slammed today. Afternoon line times are even higher than Friday, saturday & Sunday...3:00 lines...DM 135 minutes, Disaster 60, ET 50, Gringotts 175, Hogwarts Express 90, MIB 75, Mummy 120, Rip Ride 120, Shrek 50, Simpsons 90, Transformers 135.....Bilge Rat Barges 60, CIH 60, Doom 50, Forbidden Journey 120, Hippogriff 45, Hogwarts 60, Hulk 120, JP River 130 (where does that queue go for that many?), One Fish 50, Ripsaw 120, Suess Trolley 60, SpiderMan 120......Wow

My friend is there and says gringotts is still down from when it broke at 11. So is it back up? Or does what ur looking at not show its broke down.

My friend is there and says gringotts is still down from when it broke at 11. So is it back up? Or does what ur looking at not show its broke down.
A TP customer posted it down apx. an hour ago dating it back to 11:36 AM. but there was no confirmation on that, so I don't know if it was down during that entire time or not. TP is still posting the wait in time but with the customer comment mentioned. Transformers is now more than 3 hrs. on their line so maybe something is still amiss with Gringotts.

Last edited:

I'll be in the parks several days from January 6th - 10th so there will be at least 2 of us there:rofl:. I'm also going for 1/2 a day on the 2nd to see the Christmas stuff and I expect it to be packed. In general, I expect attendance to fall the Sunday after New Years. If you notice, Jan. 2nd is the last blackout day for Power Passes. Jan. 3rd is the last day for Grinchmas/Macy's. Jan. 4th will be a big fly home day. That being said, a large number of colleges don't start classes until January 12th. So, groups with K-12 may be going back but the older groups could try for that week. I know at Cabana Bay, Standard view Hotel Rooms never did have APH rates during that time Pool View and suites did. Also, there was a period of time they were "sold out" on Universal's website.

In 2013, I visited Universal January 4th and 5th (Friday and Saturday after new Years) and it was the busiest I'd ever seen it. Not quite as busy as the pictures above but plenty busy enough.

Johde & Fallow: Touring Plans is showing the following for Universal on your dates...Scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the busiest...Jan. 2:(10)...Jan. 6 (7), Jan. 7 (5), Jan. 8 (5), Jan. 9 (6), ...So it predicts Very Busy for Jan. 2, Busy for Jan. 6, and moderate for your other dates.

Last edited:
Johde & Fallow: Touring Plans is showing the following for Universal on your dates...Scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the busiest...Jan. 2:(10)...Jan. 6 (7), Jan. 7 (5), Jan. 8 (5), Jan. 9 (6), ...So it predicts Very Busy for Jan. 2, Busy for Jan. 6, and moderate for your other dates.

Thanks. We've got 3.5 days and will be taking full advantage of early entry, so I think we'll manage.