Universal's Crowding | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Crowding

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I believe crowds are reasonable today. Not packed but not empty. I think a considerable chunk of visitors the past couple days were here for the football games (fans and families of the bands who played in the Macys Parade each day). With those games going on today/having happened yesterday, the crowds are thinner.

I get that, but I feel like there should have been at least ONE major addition to IOA between 2011-2014 (other than HE obviously). If someone went in 2010 when WWoHP first opened and then they went last year when DA opened, they likely noticed a HUGE improvement in the quality of USF, but IOA is still almost exactly the same with the exception of Hogsmeade Station.

A lot of the improvements at USF were to replace or supplement attractions that have been in existence (and frankly, in many cases, deteriorating) for longer than IOA has existed. With the exception of the dark Toon Lagoon Theatre, I think the timeline for capital improvement has been about as good as could be expected. I think we're about to see huge changes in IOA on the horizon. I would imagine that once USH's transformation is finished in 2016, we'll see them tackling IOA and USF at the same time.

I will be interested in hearing about the crowds at both parks today and for the next few days. Yesterday afternoon didn't appear crazy busy.
WDW parks were mostly 7 & 8's instead of 10's on yesterday's TP scales also.....2:00 TP line report....Looks like today is very busy. And the weather must be better than the last few days since the water rides have long lines.....CIT 40 minutes, Doom 40, Dragon Challenge 40, Forbidden Journey 105, Hippogriff 45, Hogwarts Express 60, Hulk 60, JP River 55, Poseidon 85, Ripsaw Falls 75, Spider Man 90.....Dispicable Me 110, ET 40, Gringotts 90, Hogwarts 45, Mummy 45, MIB 30, Rip Ride Rocket 90, Simosons 50, Transformers 100

WDW parks were mostly 7 & 8's instead of 10's on yesterday's TP scales also.....2:00 TP line report....Looks like today is very busy. And the weather must be better than the last few days since the water rides have long lines.....CIT 40 minutes, Doom 40, Dragon Challenge 40, Forbidden Journey 105, Hippogriff 45, Hogwarts Express 60, Hulk 60, JP River 55, Poseidon 85, Ripsaw Falls 75, Spider Man 90.....Dispicable Me 110, ET 40, Gringotts 90, Hogwarts 45, Mummy 45, MIB 30, Rip Ride Rocket 90, Simosons 50, Transformers 100

I know it's a Friday (and the last weekend of the Holiday offerings), but damn, those numbers are scaring me a bit. Here's hoping it calms down by next week...

I know it's a Friday (and the last weekend of the Holiday offerings), but damn, those numbers are scaring me a bit. Here's hoping it calms down by next week...

It will, I'm almost positive. Even if it's still a bit busy, it will be nothing like the last couple weeks considering most schools will be back in session. You'll have a good time regardless.

One thing I have found is that Universal experiences much more ups and downs depending on regional factors. Its crowd patterns are much more akin to a regional amusement park than Disney. Is there a good chance more hotel rooms will change that? Possibly. But for now, the parks are reasonable more often than not.

My guess is that next weeks' numbers will be more like New Years or a bit less.

You're really expecting two hour waits next week? I'm more inclined to agree that it'll slow down, what with schools being back in session as OrlandoGuy mentioned, the end of holiday offerings, and Universal's own data (their scaling back their hours indicates lessened crowd expectations). But, we'll see... here's hoping for moderate crowds at worst.

My guess is that next weeks' numbers will be more like New Years or a bit less.
I HIGHLY doubt this. The only thing drawing people to Orlando next week is the WDW Marathon. NYE Crowds are gone, people are back to work, school, etc.

There's no way crowds will be anything near what they've been the past week, it would just be very unlikely.

You are misinterpreting my remark. New Year's Day crowds were just moderate or a little above. I said New Year's or less which is basically the same as everyone else is saying, namely moderate crowds.

You are misinterpreting my remark. New Year's Day crowds were just moderate or a little above. I said New Year's or less which is basically the same as everyone else is saying, namely moderate crowds.
You can't say "NYE or less" and expect us to not interpret you saying there will potentially be NYE level crowds there.

New Years wasn't as light as you're making it out to be. The first couple weeks of January after schools start are traditionally the most dead time of the year for theme parks. Like, completely dead. I would be more inclined to think those days *may* be "moderate" if the first part of winter break hadn't been so slow...those first days just basically proved that Universal crowds can fluctuate very quickly. I'll be extremely surprised to see New Year's Day level crowds past this upcoming Monday. For Universal to be slow in the first week of Christmas break and then moderate in the second week of January all within one year would be remarkable.

New Years wasn't as light as you're making it out to be. The first couple weeks of January after schools start are traditionally the most dead time of the year for theme parks. Like, completely dead. I would be more inclined to think those days *may* be "moderate" if the first part of winter break hadn't been so slow...those first days just basically proved that Universal crowds can fluctuate very quickly. I'll be extremely surprised to see New Year's Day level crowds past this upcoming Monday. For Universal to be slow in the first week of Christmas break and then moderate in the second week of January all within one year would be remarkable.
They used to be more dead than they are. At least at WDW. With the WDW Marathon, MLK Weekend and the Princess 5K or whatever it is at the end of the month, January has gotten considerably more busy than it used to be. Uni benefits from this as well.

I'd say the first week of September going into when school starts is about the same crowd level, possibly lower from experience.

I did say "New Year's", not New Years Eve, which is a different day. Touring Plans rated the lines on New Years Day as a 6 at both Universal Parks, which is basically the same level they are rating next weeks crowds, from a 4 to 7 level. A 6 is a moderate on their level. I'm talking line level here which is what TP rates. Fallow was asking about line times and my answer was in accordance with the info from TP, which is the only source I've been quoting. I never said busy, always said moderate. Look at my postings from a few days ago to Fallow's queries at that time. . I always alluded to TP line listings. Don't know why OG and NBG are always so belligerent to other posters.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to come off as bellligerent. I didn't mean to sound argumentative with you, just in disagreement. As it stands nobody knows, and like has been said here before, we're just talking about theme parks :thumbs:

I'm sorry to come off as bellligerent. I didn't mean to sound argumentative with you, just in disagreement. As it stands nobody knows, and like has been said here before, we're just talking about theme parks :thumbs:
Exactly. We can agree to disagree. Actually, most of us are on the same page with just minor deviations in our understanding of the attendance patterns. That's one reason I always emphasize that Touring Plans info is line times, and even those aren't always exactly on the dime. Actual attendance can fluctuate from line times. Until we have someone give us the real daily attendance figures in relation to past years, we're just making calculated guesses. I put the TP times on to help the discussion, realizing that most of the readers here probably don't have a paid subscription to Touring Plans. Nothing personal from my end. I just want to keep the discussion civilized. I did comment a couple of times that I thought you started an interesting thread.

I HIGHLY doubt this. The only thing drawing people to Orlando next week is the WDW Marathon. NYE Crowds are gone, people are back to work, school, etc.

There's no way crowds will be anything near what they've been the past week, it would just be very unlikely.

The first full week in January tends to be somewhat busy with visitors from South America, or at least this has been the case since Hogsmeade opened. So, not crowds like we have seen the last 2 weeks, but not as dead as in years past. By this time next week, the parks will be really quiet.

Reactions: OrlandoGuy