Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe Construction Thread

What does OUC stand for?
As @Coasted wrote, it's the Orlando Utilities Commission.

Basically, Universal is paying and providing land for OUC to construct and operate a chilled water plant on Universal's behalf (for cooling EU buildings). And to be clear - OUC are the ones building (and likely financing) the plant, which is why it's still proceeding at this time.

The acronyms are confusing because there's also OCU (Orange County Utilities) in the area.

Per the Orange County Fast Track site, it appears that Universal applied for around 10 new building permits on Monday, many of which are for structures within the park itself. The permits include a few (non-attraction) buildings in the Monsters area, a few buildings in the hub, and site work for hub areas P920 and P901 (the 901 permit seems to have a ridiculously high value though). From the permit listings, it appears that Cuningham Group is the architect for Monsters and Kimley-Horn is the architect for the hub areas.

I'm encouraged to see them still applying for building permits because it shows that they still believe in the project and want to be able to move forward with it in the near future.

Per the Orange County Fast Track site, it appears that Universal applied for around 10 new building permits on Monday, many of which are for structures within the park itself. The permits include a few (non-attraction) buildings in the Monsters area, a few buildings in the hub, and site work for hub areas P920 and P901 (the 901 permit seems to have a ridiculously high value though). From the permit listings, it appears that Cuningham Group is the architect for Monsters and Kimley-Horn is the architect for the hub areas.

I'm encouraged to see them still applying for building permits because it shows that they still believe in the project and want to be able to move forward with it in the near future.
Thanks for the heads up. More there than last time I checked.

Also, P901 includes the coaster.

Kimley-Horn is the architect for the hub areas.
This reminds me a bit of the EU concept art

As far as Cunningham...look at the second onward on this page

Drove past the site and there is still some work happening, just not a lot. It looks like they're still working on the service area off Sand Lake Road, which makes sense since it was announced before the park and if I remember correctly was support for the existing parks as well as the new park.

There were a bunch for P903 last week too. Doesn’t look like anything that isn’t for the back of house stuff has been completed/approved in awhile though.
Last I looked, I don't think any building permits have been issued for any vertical structures/buildings.

There were like 20 permit applications today, although I can't really tell what they are for.

Does anyone think it's likely that the track for the dual launch coaster has already been fabricated, given the park's previously estimated ETA of 2023?

From what I expect is from months of construction delays... look at the damage that summer has wrought to this retention pond. Sand collapsing back in and fresh sod completely undermined and trenched. money money money.

C478fTI.jpg

detail of @bioreconstruct

Is this a curb and gutter in with the sub road finished?
Is this a sign/traffic control base at the intersection?
Those are storm drains in a future retention pond maybe?

snap.PNG

From what I expect is from months of construction delays... look at the damage that summer has wrought to this retention pond. Sand collapsing back in and fresh sod completely undermined and trenched. money money money.

C478fTI.jpg

detail of @bioreconstruct

Pennies. That sod probably cost less than a weeks rental on the 4 pumps in the photo. And the dewatering pump and lines along the left and right side of this photo tell me they arent even done installing pipes into this pond yet. There is no reason to sod this early under normal circumstances anyway. If I had to guess they got a non-compliant site inspection from the County which required them to stabilize the parts of the pond they are not actively working on. Sod=Instant Stabilization. Based on the tire tracks and the amount of equipment i'd also wager to guess they are actively working on this project.