What's new
Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe Construction Thread

I donno. By no means would it be finished but I could have seen it in the early stages of being fabricated. Hulk was pretty much complete 2 years before IOA opening and with a 6 month fabrication time and a 6 month or longer build, the time line could have lined up.

Not by the look of the upper right hand corner it isn’t. Too, while sod might be cheap, redigging parts of the pond and regrading the slopes is not, in and as itself inexpensive.

It does not permanently stabilize but it typically checks the "Stabilization" box on the inspection form. To me, this looks like a standard pond still under construction. Blow outs happen all the time and extensive pond cleaning and re-grading are built into the budget for projects like this. My point was that I don't think this is a neglected project, it very much to me looks under active construction. Those pumps and de-watering well points are signs of active construction work. Those pumps look like rentals, if they were not being used they wouldn't be on site running up a bill, that excavator is an expensive piece of equipment to keep idle, if it wasn't being used on a regular basis it would be back on the rental yard, or utilized on another project. In fact the blow outs in the pond bank are signs that this is still being currently worked on. If the grading contractor was done or put on an indefinite hold these banks would be completely stabilized prior to de-mobilization.

All the signs to me point at the vertical construction for EU being on pause, but the activity on site says that Universal is continuing with basic infrastructure and is committed to getting the site to an easily develop able point. All this is a good thing. If Universal had decided to grass the entire site, de-mob equipment, and remove materials from the laydown yard i'd be concerned that it was dead on the vine.

Pretty big update today -- something's moving forward.

First, traffic lights are being installed at what is currently the construction entrance on Destination Parkway. Nothing else on the other side of the road, so must be for EU, but up until now hasn't been a real issue, even when they had a steady stream of dump trucks. Theoretically they're expecting a big jump in daily traffic.

Second, bigger story -- they are erecting what I can only describe as wooden "Jersey barriers" on the west side of the property. Dark green walls probably 25 - 30 feet tall. There's a business district and some extended stay hotels back there, not sure why they get apparent noise barriers and not the apartments to the east, but maybe those are coming. I'm not a contractor, so maybe these have some other use I'm unaware of, but they look like sound blockers to me.

First, traffic lights are being installed at what is currently the construction entrance on Destination Parkway. Nothing else on the other side of the road, so must be for EU, but up until now hasn't been a real issue, even when they had a steady stream of dump trucks. Theoretically they're expecting a big jump in daily traffic.

Second, bigger story -- they are erecting what I can only describe as wooden "Jersey barriers" on the west side of the property. Dark green walls probably 25 - 30 feet tall. There's a business district and some extended stay hotels back there, not sure why they get apparent noise barriers and not the apartments to the east, but maybe those are coming. I'm not a contractor, so maybe these have some other use I'm unaware of, but they look like sound blockers to me.
While I haven't seen a go ahead for the theme park itself, there are other projects still moving forward at the southern site... and I'm not talking about just the backstage stuff and road work.

Can you clarify where these walls "on the west side of the property" are?

That's really just part of the basic infrastructure project. I wouldn't read too much into any of that work. The new turn lane and traffic lights were a work in progress before the "pause" and it looks like they're just finishing that entrance to the construction site up.

While I haven't seen a go ahead for the theme park itself, there are other projects still moving forward at the southern site... and I'm not talking about just the backstage stuff and road work.

Hotels?

I've been way behind but has anyone heard about this story
Morgan and Morgan is representing 13 employees that worked at the Golf Channel call center.

Lockheed Martin Is Getting Sued for Creating an 'Environmental Nightmare' in Florida
Wow, I wondered about the toxic waste from Lockheed Martin leftovers when Universal repurchased the property but from what I could find it had be remediated.
This is astounding they would continue to pollute the site given the past. Maybe it is just M&M posturing but it would deal a real blow to the development if it can be proven.

Supposedly the land there has been remediated (that may be a big part of all the soil that was added).

The wall going in that was mentioned appears to be steel sheet pilings to create a retaining wall between the big new retention pond and Shingle Creek. I'd assume it's necessary to keep runoff from going directly into the waterway.

I don't think I'd consider them ambulance chasers. They're one of the more well known law offices and do a lot more than that.

John Morgan made his name (and first millions) blatantly flaunting existing ethics rules re: attorney advertising. Way back in 90s law school, far from Florida, his ethics cases came up, and it was not a positive analysis. His early ads are why daytime TV commercial blocks look the way they do. Ditto the clients holding giant checks on billboards.

But the beauty of America is if you live long enough or make enough money, you eventually achieve respectability.

The wall going in that was mentioned appears to be steel sheet pilings to create a retaining wall between the big new retention pond and Shingle Creek. I'd assume it's necessary to keep runoff from going directly into the waterway.
That also sounds like the area where the big sewer line was getting relocated to, so maybe sheet pilings could be related to that?

John Morgan made his name (and first millions) blatantly flaunting existing ethics rules re: attorney advertising. Way back in 90s law school, far from Florida, his ethics cases came up, and it was not a positive analysis. His early ads are why daytime TV commercial blocks look the way they do. Ditto the clients holding giant checks on billboards.

But the beauty of America is if you live long enough or make enough money, you eventually achieve respectability.
Their commercials come across as "ambulence-chaser-esque" tho. They seem to advertise nationally (at least I've seen identical commercials here in the Philadelphia market) and the fine print in the commercials is essentially "call our national number and we'll contact a local attorney for you and we'll take a cut of the cut."