What's new
Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe Construction Thread

Outside of EU, is there a rush to get this extension finished?

We all know how Orlando like to keep road construction going for as long as possible.

Outside of EU, is there a rush to get this extension finished?

We all know how Orlando like to keep road construction going for as long as possible.
Contractual obligations with the county, since it is a joint project?

Also, and this is just me thinking out loud, but I bet Universal will still be able to utilize this extension even if the new park continues to be postponed, as their new hotel additions will likely be built right where this road ends. Connecting the resort to this land will help them in the long run, for more than just the new park.

New permit for Kirkman extension, the one project I am guessing is still moving forward regardless of Epic Universe's pause

Wasn't there a permit last week for an extension of the reclaimed waterline on Sandlake? Pretty sure I saw that on the bot

Contractual obligations with the county, since it is a joint project?

Also, and this is just me thinking out loud, but I bet Universal will still be able to utilize this extension even if the new park continues to be postponed, as their new hotel additions will likely be built right where this road ends. Connecting the resort to this land will help them in the long run, for more than just the new park.

Wouldn’t having no park built devalue the new resorts immensely?

Wouldn’t having no park built devalue the new resorts immensely?
With its proximity to the convention center and I-Drive, Universal may find value in opening a resort there before the park is ready, yes.

They will also have the dedicated bus lanes to take guests to/from the existing parks (and still take less time than most bus travel within WDW).

As long as it has the Universal name, free transport and amenities, it'll be fine.
Exactly.

They've maxed out room for new hotels at current resort after all. And Wet 'n Wild. This is next, with or without Epic.

With its proximity to the convention center and I-Drive, Universal may find value in opening a resort there before the park is ready, yes.

They will also have the dedicated bus lanes to take guests to/from the existing parks (and still take less time than most bus travel within WDW).

Exactly.

They've maxed out room for new hotels at current resort after all. And Wet 'n Wild. This is next, with or without Epic.

Unless it's remarkably cheaper than Endless Summer (Which is already pretty cheap), I don't see the benefit over the other resorts.

Unless it's remarkably cheaper than Endless Summer (Which is already pretty cheap), I don't see the benefit over the other resorts.
Ohhh you mean value for you... I thought you meant value for Universal. Cause having a hotel that practically borders the convention center is obviously good for a company to own. But yea, there’s other places I’d rather stay for a Universal vacation until Epic is built, sure.

Ohhh you mean value for you... I thought you meant value for Universal. Cause having a hotel that practically borders the convention center is obviously good for a company to own. But yea, there’s other places I’d rather stay for a Universal vacation until Epic is built, sure.

It does raise a question.

What tier of hotel would they build?

If they’re building one, I can see a higher end hotel. It will attract the business crowd and will be sure to sell out once EU opens.

It does raise a question.

What tier of hotel would they build?

If they’re building one, I can see a higher end hotel. It will attract the business crowd and will be sure to sell out once EU opens.
I'm guessing something equivalent to another Aventura with convention space like Sapphire

According to this article, mid 2025 now: https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando...man-road-extension-orange-county-florida.html

The $305 million, 1.7-mile project — billed as a public/private partnership between Orange County and Universal — will begin work on all utilities by Dec. 1 this year and start roadwork by Dec. 1, 2021, Renzo Nastasi, transportation planning manager for Orange County, told Orlando Business Journal. Universal is expected to have completion/certification of roadway work by April 30, 2025.​

If they start roadwork in December 2021, they'd really have to drag their feet to take 3 1/2 years to complete it. I know at Sand lake its going to be a little complicated with the interchange, but the rest is pretty much wide open space with virtually no traffic. They really should be able to do that whole stretch in under a year. Even if you say the Sand lake portion takes a year by itself, that only puts you to late 2023.

Of course budget considerations might be the driver on the project taking longer.

If they start roadwork in December 2021, they'd really have to drag their feet to take 3 1/2 years to complete it. I know at Sand lake its going to be a little complicated with the interchange, but the rest is pretty much wide open space with virtually no traffic. They really should be able to do that whole stretch in under a year. Even if you say the Sand lake portion takes a year by itself, that only puts you to late 2023.

Of course budget considerations might be the driver on the project taking longer.
I believe it’s more of a deadline than a completion date. They *could* finish sooner.

The convention crowd is going to want something a bit more upscale than Aventura. Sapphire is about what i'd expect out of a convention hotel. Possibly even something a bit more upscale than that.
That's a good point. I wonder if ideas from the Nuo Hotel or perhaps a newer idea will show up

The planned Sand Lake interchange is pretty complex and will need phased construction to keep lanes open during the work as they try to build new bridges in the same area as the current ones. I fully expect it to be a 2-3 year project. The rest is pretty easy and should be doable within a year, however.

Interesting to see they took down the green scrim on the fence along Destination Parkway so now you can see into the construction site. There's a crew working along the fence installing drainage and/or irrigation pipes and other utilities, so perhaps the fence is going to be replaced with a more permanent fence instead of the chain link construction fence? Or maybe building a berm along that side of the property?