Universal's Epic Universe Construction Thread | Page 89 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Construction Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I hope the Wizarding World show is much more about staging illusions and real effects in the auditorium, like the impressive stuff I've heard about how THE CURSED CHILD pulls off magic on the stage.

I have no idea about what the Epic show will and will not include, but I did want to confirm what you’ve heard: The Cursed Child illusions are frequently spectacular.

Seaworld shouldn't have anything to worry about. We are salivating over only one coaster here where they have 5 of the same caliber.
I actually think there's quite a bit for coaster enthusiasts in Epic considering it's an entirely new park. The dueling coasters will technically be 2 different coasters, HTTYD will have an Intamin multi-launch which are always popular, and DK won't be like any other coaster in the world. That's 4 pretty big draws for anyone interested in coasters, not to mention it will give even more reason for people to check out UO's already existing coaster lineup. SeaWorld does have reason to worry, whether or not their attendance will drop I have no clue.

I actually think there's quite a bit for coaster enthusiasts in Epic considering it's an entirely new park. The dueling coasters will technically be 2 different coasters, HTTYD will have an Intamin multi-launch which are always popular, and DK won't be like any other coaster in the world. That's 4 pretty big draws for anyone interested in coasters, not to mention it will give even more reason for people to check out UO's already existing coaster lineup. SeaWorld does have reason to worry, whether or not their attendance will drop I have no clue.
I never said enthusiast will not ever come to EU. I said Seaworld had nothing to worry about. The coasters at EU, to be honest, are nothing groundbreaking. I don't see anyone saying they have to book a trip to EU to ride the donkey kong coaster. The coaster line up for EU is what you expect from a park focusing more on the family experience and not so much thrill seekers, like most of the other coasters. Lets be real, Universal is not trying to become the coaster capital of orlando with the type of coasters they are producing. THeir coasters tell a story first, and are a coaster second. I am actually shocked they are building something like the hub coaster if I must say. SO again, Seaworld has nothing to worry about. . .

I never said enthusiast will not ever come to EU. I said Seaworld had nothing to worry about. The coasters at EU, to be honest, are nothing groundbreaking. I don't see anyone saying they have to book a trip to EU to ride the donkey kong coaster. The coaster line up for EU is what you expect from a park focusing more on the family experience and not so much thrill seekers, like most of the other coasters. Lets be real, Universal is not trying to become the coaster capital of orlando with the type of coasters they are producing. THeir coasters tell a story first, and are a coaster second. I am actually shocked they are building something like the hub coaster if I must say. SO again, Seaworld has nothing to worry about. . .
All SeaWorld and BGT have to do is build coasters that Universal and Disney wouldn't

I personally think prototypes like the Surf Coaster are a good idea in this regard

I feel Epic Universe is greatly misunderstood as what it's supposed to do (and inevitably will lead to some irritating "hot takes" online)

It's an expansion of a resort that's got a real crowding problem, it also addresses a lot of issues the original parks have currently

As far as the coasters, they really play second fiddle to the overall park experience and are complimentary, not features in and of themselves

They've got a "go for Mario World, but stay for the Hub Coaster" type vibe to them lol

USF didn't have a single coaster when it opened and I would say it's done alright. Today, it has two if you count Mummy and Gringotts. IOA only had Hulk. Now it has some of the best coasters in the nation with Hagrids and VC.

I think Epic is in good standing with lots of future potential based on past records.

USF didn't have a single coaster when it opened and I would say it's done alright. Today, it has two if you count Mummy and Gringotts. IOA only had Hulk. Now it has some of the best coasters in the nation with Hagrids and VC.

I think Epic is in good standing with lots of future potential based on past records.
I like how your forgot Rip Ride Rockit. It’s okay, I don’t think of it ever either lol

If this may put things into prospective, none of my friends go to universal for coasters lol. Their main draw is HHN, drinking, the big 3 hotels and the overall atmosphere that universal has created amongst all of their parks. LIke @shiekra38 said, EU is an expansion of what they already offer. I like how universal is continually building up on what it is good at and plussing it. Seuss Landing crawled so HTTYD can fly! Hulked roared so we can reach for the stars on the hub coaster.

I always rolled my eyes at the "Universal only builds coasters" narrative but it exists for sure. That said, for reasons I've already expressed the coasters are actually fairly low on my anticipation list (besides DK--third behind Unchained and Ministry).

Lift hills vs. launches parallel the 2D vs. 3D animation debate--I saw a quote, "3D used to be a rare treat, now 2D is the rare treat." The same applies to lift hills, at least at Disney and Universal. Even plenty of other parks are focusing more on launches (see many of this year's openings--Big Bear Mountain, Pipeline, etc.).

But damn, being at BGT in line hearing the lift hill crank before it stops and knowing what's coming up next is an absolute treasure.

It's also what I mean when I say that I don't think sightlines should always be the number one priority.

Last edited:
I also appreciate a nice lift hill but regardless they are objectively inferior to a park operator than an LSM launch. LSM magnetic propulsion makes them contactless and so they require zero maintenance and upkeep. Chain lifts on the other hand do, especially when you are running your chain and motor for long hours 365 days per year.

Yeah, I knew it wasn't going to look like a Scoop, but I assumed Oceaneering would be the builder. Apparently, I was wrong.
Simworx make the actual scoop, but from what we've seen the load might be too narrow to fit them. Also the curiosity of the load being quite a bit higher than the ride floor . So the mystery continues

Reactions: Disneyhead
I also appreciate a nice lift hill but regardless they are objectively inferior to a park operator than an LSM launch. LSM magnetic propulsion makes them contactless and so they require zero maintenance and upkeep. Chain lifts on the other hand do, especially when you are running your chain and motor for long hours 365 days per year.

I would have thought the opposite, not that I'm an expert. You're down there in the weeds more than I. Chain lifts do require some maintenance but LIM's and LSM's have issues with reliability (although far better now than what they used to utilize) and also utilize a lot of power. The other downside to launches is ride time is greatly reduced. TRON is a minute long and, while a launch makes the most sense in terms of the experience, a lift hill at some point would have enabled time to build up the story or drama of the story. Everest and Big Thunder have lift hills that accentuate the ride and TRON, Guardians, Velocicoaster all use launches that fit the theme of the story more accurately. A mix of both keeps riders from becoming too used to one or the other.

My only qualm about launches is that they've become so ubiquitous on new coasters (and coaster-adjacent attractions) that they no longer feel particularly unique. A fun and exhilarating sensation, to be sure.

I'd like to see a new coaster built at Disney or Universal that uses a lift hill just for variety's sake!

My only qualm about launches is that they've become so ubiquitous on new coasters (and coaster-adjacent attractions) that they no longer feel particularly unique. A fun and exhilarating sensation, to be sure.

I'd like to see a new coaster built at Disney or Universal that uses a lift hill just for variety's sake!
I'm actually quite curious what the coaster game is going to look like post-Epic at Disney and Universal