Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 231 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But if you had to imagine a unifying theme, what would it be?

(You can't choose studio theming)
"Universal's land of lands" :X

Seriously though, the name is something that they would figure out over time though. I'm sure people far smarter than me and who actually get paid to do this type of work could come up with a pretty good name for a land that included something like Shrek, HTTYD, Troll and KFP.

But if you had to imagine a unifying theme, what would it be?

(You can't choose studio theming)
I’m not exactly sure why there has to be a unifying theme. Super Nintendo World will have a Mario area and a Donkey Kong mini land. For all intents and purposes those are two different IPs. Just like Nintendo all it takes is the correct visual buffers to not need an overarching theme

I’m not exactly sure why there has to be a unifying theme. Super Nintendo World will have a Mario area and a Donkey Kong mini land. For all intents and purposes those are two different IPs. Just like Nintendo all it takes is the correct visual buffers to not need an overarching theme
I see your point and yes they’re essentially 2 separate lands, but the characters are very much apart of the same universe so having them together so directly makes sense.

Toothless and Shrek? Not so much.

I see your point and yes they’re essentially 2 separate lands, but the characters are very much apart of the same universe so having them together so directly makes sense.

Toothless and Shrek? Not so much.
The point was you go from Mushroom Kingdom to Donkey Kong Country( two visiually distinct areas) within seconds but they’re both completely separate and don’t visually intrude on one another. No reason a DreamWorks land couldn’t do the same

I can take or leave EU right now. While it would be nice to get an extra park, the only land I’m really excited about at the moment is SNW and if I care enough about it, I’ll happily get on a plane to Japan.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
Mario started as the hero of the first and villain of the second DK games. You don't get to Mario without the monkey.
You don't get to HTTYD without the success of Shrek either :lol:

Obviously two totally different things, but like, this wouldn't be a groundbreaking idea to have mini-lands inside of a larger land. Disney's been doing it for years.

Dragons, of all the Dreamworks properties, has the best thematic longevity. Followed by Road to El Dorado, then Panda. THAT’S why it’s getting a land. Honestly, it’s probably the most universal of the planned EU lands, because it can be thoroughly enjoyed with no knowledge of the IP.

By “thematic longevity,” I mean the theme is approachable without knowledge of the IP. It has vikings and dragons (two instantly recognizable and enjoyable concepts), with human characters (which are more adaptable than anthropomorphic animals, which benefit from some base of knowledge - which is Panda’s ding). That’s it, and all it needs. Fifty years from now, it would still work. El Dorado, thematically, is an ancient civilization in the jungle. It works the same way. Think of them as Universal’s Adventureland and Frontierland.

As awesome as Far Far Away would be, it requires a whole lot more background knowledge to understand its satirical nature. Despite the fairytale foundation, its humor is already a touch dated. In 15 years, it will likely feel like a second rate Fantasyland.

Honestly, pretty much the only games that Donkey Kong shows up in that Mario is in are the Mario Sports games.
He’s in Mario Kart and SSB as well I believe which are the 2 highest selling games I believe, so it’s not like he’s barely relevant to the Mario world, where as Toothless and Shrek don’t share the same one. One thematic “Dreamworks Island” I guess could work, basically a re-theme or Toon Lagoon, I just prefer the 1 IP lands. To me Mario and Pals are essentially 1 IP, that’s because video games are different from films also.
The point was you go from Mushroom Kingdom to Donkey Kong Country( two visiually distinct areas) within seconds but they’re both completely separate and don’t visually intrude on one another. No reason a DreamWorks land couldn’t do the same
Ya I do agree totally, I think it’s more different witn films as I mentioned above but agreed. Again I think Mario and friends are distinctly more connected but they can absolutely all work together, I think it’s just more of what’s the theme or are they all separate “Islands”. I don’t know if they all need to be under the same umbrella per say.

He’s in Mario Kart and SSB as well I believe which are the 2 highest selling games I believe, so it’s not like he’s barely relevant to the Mario world, where as Toothless and Shrek don’t share the same one. One thematic “Dreamworks Island” I guess could work, basically a re-theme or Toon Lagoon, I just prefer the 1 IP lands. To me Mario and Pals are essentially 1 IP, that’s because video games are different from films also.

Ya I do agree totally, I think it’s more different witn films as I mentioned above but agreed. Again I think Mario and friends are distinctly more connected but they can absolutely all work together, I think it’s just more of what’s the theme or are they all separate “Islands”. I don’t know if they all need to be under the same umbrella per say.
I think that’s splitting some really thin hairs. Mini lands are mini lands lol

Dragons was filling a quota for kids rides/outdoor attractions/play areas/and having DreamWorks represented. A replacement would likely need to meet some, or all, of the same criteria.

My memory is fuzzy of all the ride types but did Dragons have the only water ride?

I think the issue here is until things got vertical things can change and with Dreamworks still playing 3 films a year, its quite simple that the entire land concept can change.

If i remember, even Disneyhead alluded that UC was designing park lands for films before their release like Dr Dolittle's Spider Island.

Status
Not open for further replies.