Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
When done right, Stage shows can be both amazing and people eaters. Disney excels at this -- look at the Frozen show at DCA, or Finding Nemo: The Musical at Animal Kingdom. Both are top-notch shows and are always full.
I think Universal is vastly improving in this area as well

I think Universal is vastly improving in this area as well
Sorry, what?
Shouldn’t we wait to see Bourne before declaring it “vastly improved”. As it stands, outside of the great, but tiny Horror Makeup; the only people eating show UOR has is FFL and two other shuttered theaters as well as a show that was demolished for F&F.

Not a track record I’m feeling comfortable with. The night show (which isn’t a “stage show”) is certainly a massive improvement. But I need to see if Bourne follows those footsteps before feeling confident in the future of their shows.

Sorry, what?
Shouldn’t we wait to see Bourne before declaring it “vastly improved”. As it stands, outside of the great, but tiny Horror Makeup; the only people eating show UOR has is FFL and two other shuttered theaters as well as a show that was demolished for F&F.

Not a track record I’m feeling comfortable with. The night show (which isn’t a “stage show”) is certainly a massive improvement. But I need to see if Bourne follows those footsteps before feeling confident in the future of their shows.
Well, the shows in Diagon, while not as "big" as these are, are certainly vast improvements as well. People seem to enjoy Academy of Villains, as you said nighttime entertainment has improved, so I don't think its too far a stretch to say their entertainment offerings (parades have improved as well) have vastly improved. Bourne may be the cherry on top for that.

Would be pretty hard to mess up the Dragons show since it will probably be just the already well done stage show.

Would be pretty hard to mess up the Dragons show since it will probably be just the already well done stage show.
I could see similar elements, like the realistic Toothless puppet, but the larger roam around animatronics were designed for arena shows, where you have vastly more space. This theater does look big, but maybe not that big.

Sorry, what?

UC knows the show game needs to step up. They’ve hired on Aiello for that. While I wouldn’t say they HAVE improved I would say they are trying to improve.

I could see similar elements, like the realistic Toothless puppet, but the larger roam around animatronics were designed for arena shows, where you have vastly more space. This theater does look big, but maybe not that big.

I'd rather see a show stopping musical version of the story than a 1:1 copy of the arena show anyway. Bring in some talent to write some songs people will love. Worked for Nemo, no reason it can't work here

Personally, I don't get the point of non-interactive (moving seats and audience effects) at theme parks. I go to parks to ride and explore amazing worlds, not watch shows that could easily be done anywhere else. It's a waste of time, money, and space.

I mostly agree, and tend not to see a show more than once.

but parks are built for more people than you and I, and a ton of guests love big shows

Personally, I don't get the point of non-interactive (moving seats and audience effects) at theme parks. I go to parks to ride and explore amazing worlds, not watch shows that could easily be done anywhere else. It's a waste of time, money, and space.

I’m in the other group. I enjoy big stage show productions at the parks. It allows my group to slow down instead of jumping from one ride to another.

Different demographics and a thing called 'balance'. We love good live shows. We quit going to BGW when they gutted their roster of really good live shows, and the park's attendance, even with new coasters, has never recuperated. The better balance a park has, the better chance it will have to attract a wide spectrum of customers.

Parks offer diverse options for diverse guests. Not all guests can ride every/any ride. So having a show that allows people to experience the same experiences you're having on a ride is great. Plus I don't mind sitting back for a few hours on vacation to sit and watch a really well done show. I think its necessary, frankly.

So now we are waiting on Monsters, FB, and the Hub. All 3 will be true revelations as they have had the most question marks.
I have a feeling we might not get many details from permits for FB, just like we didn't with Nintendo.

They gave us A LOT for Dragons, which is crazy. Hoping Monsters will be the same, as they are the two properties Universal has full control over, so maybe they're less restrictive on the site plans? Or, maybe given the outside attraction nature of Dragons led to the site plans including more detail. Either way, it was cool to get so much from a records request, and I hope it happens again for the next three areas, but wouldn't count on it.

Well, the shows in Diagon, while not as "big" as these are, are certainly vast improvements as well. People seem to enjoy Academy of Villains, as you said nighttime entertainment has improved, so I don't think its too far a stretch to say their entertainment offerings (parades have improved as well) have vastly improved.

@OLSinFLA specifically mentioned “people eating stage shows”. Nothing you mentioned fits that category.

Universal’s small entertainment is fantastic, that was never brought up.

But large scale stage shows they’ve crapped the bed in Florida. Even though the new night show is a huge improvement, it’s still not a stage show.

Nemo, Lion King, Fantasmic and Frozen at DCA. Those are the examples mentioned and what UOR needs to aim for or surpass. And dragons is an IP that can get to that level or further. Bourne won’t carry the IP, but it’s an IP that they can execute well with. But to be where UOR wants to be, they’re going to need to execute like they have shown glimpses of before (like @Mad Dog mentioned they do with Grinchmas).

EU really has the potential to fix any shortcomings UOR currently has. So far, based on the plans, it really looks like that’s their primary focus. The preliminary work is really exciting.

I’m mostly interested in the Hub plans. I really want to know what else is there other than the coasters
Agreed. Even beyond the other attractions, I’m very interested how they are going to handle the layout and entrances.
This will be a hub like we’ve never seen because of each land having a “single” entrance/exit point. So it’s almost as if the hub itself will be fully isolated as well. It’s certainly a first of its kind.

Last edited:
@OLSinFLA specifically mentioned “people eating stage shows”. Nothing you mentioned fits that category.

Universal’s small entertainment is fantastic, that was never brought up.

But large scale stage shows they’ve crapped the bed in Florida. Even though the new night show is a huge improvement, it’s still not a stage show.

Nemo, Lion King, Fantasmic and Frozen at DCA. Those are the examples mentioned and what UOR needs to aim for or surpass. And dragons is an IP that can get to that level or further. Bourne won’t carry the IP, but it’s an IP that they can execute well with. But to be where UOR wants to be, they’re going to need to execute like they have shown glimpses of before (like @Mad Dog mentioned they do with Grinchmas).

EU really has the potential to fix any shortcomings UOR currently has. So far, based on the plans, it really looks like that’s their primary focus. The preliminary work is really exciting.

Agreed. Even beyond the other attractions, I’m very interested how they are going to handle the layout and entrances.
This will be a hub like we’ve never seen because of each land having a “single” entrance/exit point. So it’s almost as if the hub itself will be fully isolated as well. It’s certainly a first of its kind.
Yea, in a way it’s actually two hubs and a Main Street.

So, I didn't get into it in the story, as it is just speculation, but, I have a thought...

Perhaps all of the outdoor attractions are meant to be Dragon training classes. Flying lessons on the Sky Fly and coaster. Battle lessons on the Splash Battle, with targets set up around the course. And various tasks throughout the play areas.

All leading to the indoor ride where you actually get to fly a dragon "for real".

And down at the very bottom of the land is the show and meet and greets, where you can get to meet your teachers and learn about their story. So you get some narrative, passive fun, in a show too.

It kind of reminds me of the Legoland City themed lands, where you go to "Flying School" (suspended coaster,) Driving School (Autopia type attraction,) and Boating School, etc.

I think this land will be very much our journey to learn "How to Train Your Dragon" and that's neat.
This is exactly what I hoped for a 100 pages back. It fits the movies too because they overcome their fear of dragons and now want to try to have the rest of the world to embrace dragons. I hope there will be a smaller flat ride next to the big ones for the kids to learn to fly.
I also have the feeling that each of this "worlds", just like Super Nintendo World, will be an attraction on itself with a ton of things to do and explore. It worked amazingly well for Potter and I'm sure they want to continue that in EU.

I'm starting to think that EU (along with MK) will be on the "must visit" list for every trip to Orlando. EU will become the flagship theme park for Universal much like MK is for Disney. I also feel like EU although it will be very different from any other current park in Orlando.....is reminding me of an IOA/MK hybrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.