Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
The beasts plus all the iconic scenes from the movies?

If you’re referring to Fantastic Beasts, I’d be interested in hearing what, exactly, those iconic scenes would be.

If it were me, I would do a few things:

- A really big Newt Scamander essentially replacing Harry in similar current posters.

-And if they continue the current campaign: A huge Niffler against a vaguely purple background that says “Be Curious”

Honestly I can only see Newt or a Niffler being used in advertising, unless there is a particularly dynamic scene in the ride that makes for good video. I can’t think of any “memorable scenes” that would change someone’s mind about booking a vacation.

Since Kuka was mentioned, did Universal extend their exclusivity deal with them for theme park attractions? I think the conjecture back at the opening of Hogsmeade was ten years, but we’d be about a month and a half away from that expiring if it hasn’t been amended.

I would think EU attractions would be a good opportunity to extend that if both parties were interested.

Since Kuka was mentioned, did Universal extend their exclusivity deal with them for theme park attractions? I think the conjecture back at the opening of Hogsmeade was ten years, but we’d be about a month and a half away from that expiring if it hasn’t been amended.

I would think EU attractions would be a good opportunity to extend that if both parties were interested.
Pretty sure the contract is up and at least two international parks are making dark rides with it. Plus, sum of all thrills style kuka ride rentals are available now.

At the same time, this will be the 3rd WWoHP land at the resort. Plus, EU’s SNL will be the largest with the most rides.
But it’s a completely new land, with new rides and a new environment. Mushroom Kingdom in SNW (thanks @Alicia) is an exact copy of Japan, with a third exact copy of Mario Kart in existence. Both will be two-three years old at the time EU opens. There’s chatter of Japan getting Donkey Kong also, which would remove the one bit of exclusivity the land has going for it, and even THAT could potentially come in 2022-2023 (before EU now).

Again, Nintendo will get plenty of ink, but it’ll be, predominantly, a copy by the time it opens in Orlando. Everything else in EU, by virtue of being the only things in existence when they open, will be more important for marketing purposes.

Last edited:

Dynamic I believe is using them for their China Robocoaster projects (and I would assume they'd be on-board for Monsters and whatever the E-Ticket is), considering how they have been able to use the Kuka arm ride system since Batman: Knight Flight opened up in Abu Dhabi.

As Joe says, it's a system that can be used in any manner of way's. What interests me, if it is the Ford Anglia as the E-Ticket..is if it's a version of what they were trying to do with Iron Legion in the terms of a robotic arm that's guided inverted in track as opposed to being on the ground.

It also confuses me that they would use an overhead Kuka for a car-based attraction - wouldn’t you want to expose the fact that there is detail on the floor/the ability to look down unfettered to get the most bang for your buck?

It also confuses me that they would use an overhead Kuka for a car-based attraction - wouldn’t you want to expose the fact that there is detail on the floor/the ability to look down unfettered to get the most bang for your buck?
Except, if any track is below you, riders could see it when the car tilts forward or pitches sideways. Putting the arm above the car prevents that.

Picture a more thrilling Peter Pan’s Flight or ET (or Kongfrontation, if you experienced that). Hanging below the track allows a drastic increases in practical scale.

Using rule of thumb that would mean the film made about $300 million plus in profit. Disappointment, sure? Based on average of sequels, about normal. (Sequels generally do anywhere between 80-70% of business as a rule). As someone pointed out, they are still going ahead with the 3rd film. And remember, that doesn't even include the money made on home video, which accounts for more per-dollar-profit than theaters.

This actually isn't accurate. $180 mil in reported production costs (it was probably closer to at least $200 mil) isn't the only number associated with profitability on the expense side. You have to account for marketing, and films of this scale have a massive campaign - often about equal to that of the production cost. So you're looking at, say, a $400 mil all-in spend on the movie. The film makes $600 mil - which still sounds profitable until you remember that the studio doesn't get 100% of box office receipts. On average through the life of a blockbuster, the theaters take 50% domestically. More, internationally, especially in China.

There's a reason a film has to do triple its reported production budget. Beasts 2 managed this, but nothing more. That most likely means it broke even or barely squeaked out a profit when you take into account ancillary revenues (TV rights, DVD sales, merchandise). That's not what Warner Bros wants in a $400 mil investment.

All this to say, it is not at all shocking that Universal is reportedly considering reshaping their Epic Universe Potter plans.

Thanks for the clarification on SNW. Just to summarize the Kuka discussion: we’re anticipating 3 attractions at this park to utilize the system. UCM, Mario Kart, and a FB attraction, correct?

Thanks for the clarification on SNW. Just to summarize the Kuka discussion: we’re anticipating 3 attractions at this park to utilize the system. UCM, Mario Kart, and a FB attraction, correct?
UCM is a rumored Kuka. FB WAS rumored to be an interactive (MiB) coaster and next-gen drop ride. The new Kuka discussion is an idea that would work for an Ford Anglia ride (if FB is getting changed to England).

UCM is a rumored Kuka. FB WAS rumored to be an interactive (MiB) coaster and next-gen drop ride. The new Kuka rumor is an idea that would work for an Ford Anglia ride (if FB is getting changed to England).

Gotcha. Man, I’d really prefer seeing FB’s Paris MoM go into EU. It’s perfect for a new land. England going into EU is just plan redundant with Diagon Alley over at USF. They could build Paris and expand Diagon into FFL with a Knight Bus attraction.

The other interesting thing is wondering what sort of vehicle would transport you through Newt’s suitcase - and if the entry into the suitcase would be part of the attraction or part of an elaborate pre-show. Presumably some sort of Pepper’s Ghost/Horizons mixed media?

I wouldn't expect to see two different Kuka arms at the same park, especially since there's only five dark rides in total. They want variety here. We got a Kuka arm, an indoor drop tower, a racing bus-bar with AR effects, an omnimover, and a shoot-em-up (or, if the Anglia rumor is true, a return of the Kongfrontation system). Pretty good lineup if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.