Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2014
Chicago
Obviously, theres a few issues with Universal doing a third park--how to make it different from the existing two, how to deal with it being on a separate lot, etc. In an ideal world, their third park would solve both of these "problems"

For starters, the theme...what do you do that the Studios or IOA haven't? Combine them. Mix with the ride the movies mantra and the Studios' original love letter to cinema theme with IOA's hyper-theming and make a park around it. The main street area could be 1940's Hollywood, kinda like Buena Vista Street at California Adventure in the way it's set up. From there, have different lands themed to genres rather than IP's. I would do:
-Jungle area themed to 1930's adventure serials
-Sci-fi area with a 1950's retro future aesthetic
-Fantasy area, mountains, castles, all that
-Horror area, probably with an early 1900's/Victorian aesthetic to tie into Universal Monsters
-Modern day city area themed to action blockbusters.

Then how to deal with it being off property--simply don't. Instead of trying to create synergy between two separate resort areas, make Gate 3 its own thing. Dont rely on tried and true IPs. No Woody Woodpecker, no Harry Potter, etc. Have a couple non-Universal anchor IPs (Lord of the Rings being an obvious big one) and then use that as leverage to get some original rides thrown into the mix as well.

This could be Universal's Magic Kingdom...generic-enough theming to accommodate almost any new hot property that comes along (the time period themes would be almost exclusively aesthetic, only), but still true to Universal's original vision with plenty of room for some cool areas.

Since it's been established that the expansion thread isn't for ideas, I'll post what I think Universal should do with their new land here.

Obviously, theres a few issues with Universal doing a third park--how to make it different from the existing two, how to deal with it being on a separate lot, etc. In an ideal world, their third park would solve both of these "problems"

For starters, the theme...what do you do that the Studios or IOA haven't? Combine them. Mix with the ride the movies mantra and the Studios' original love letter to cinema theme with IOA's hyper-theming and make a park around it. The main street area could be 1940's Hollywood, kinda like Buena Vista Street at California Adventure in the way it's set up. From there, have different lands themed to genres rather than IP's. I would do:
-Jungle area themed to 1930's adventure serials
-Sci-fi area with a 1950's retro future aesthetic
-Fantasy area, mountains, castles, all that
-Horror area, probably with an early 1900's/Victorian aesthetic to tie into Universal Monsters
-Modern day city area themed to action blockbusters.

Then how to deal with it being off property--simply don't. Instead of trying to create synergy between two separate resort areas, make Gate 3 its own thing. Dont rely on tried and true IPs. No Woody Woodpecker, no Harry Potter, etc. Have a couple non-Universal anchor IPs (Lord of the Rings being an obvious big one) and then use that as leverage to get some original rides thrown into the mix as well.

This could be Universal's Magic Kingdom...generic-enough theming to accommodate almost any new hot property that comes along (the time period themes would be almost exclusively aesthetic, only), but still true to Universal's original vision with plenty of room for some cool areas.
I love this idea. The fantasy area could include Lord of the Rings, Legend of Zelda, and Fantastic Beasts (it's technically not Harry Potter) and could be a huge draw for the park.

Something I threw out on the podcast (and soon a post on Parkscope) is the idea of Universal "Rural Kingdom". The idea is that USF is cities, IoA is about exploration of lands, this new park can cover more of the relation between nature and groups of people/whatever. Sort of like the original idea of Animal Kingdom being "Disney's Wild Kingdom", it plays on the idea of villages and outposts dealing with what's outside their walls. LotR, a village tormented by classic universal monsters, something Fantastic Beats related, etc.

When the third gate comes, I think it would make logical sense if we see the park have the following;

~Highly themed environments immersing you
~IP's are at the Priority but it could bring in something original
~The Size should atleast be over 115 acres but also under 170 acres
~Equal mix of Family rides, Thrill rides, and shows
~2021 would be the logical opening, to compete with MKs 50th

atleast wanted to share some thoughts..

Last edited:
Here's my elaborated blue sky ideas (partially based off the OP's idea):
- The name of the park would be "Universal's Legends Park". A generic enough title to cover everything in the park, but still sounding unique, cool, and fitting. It would be a blend between the immersive island theming of Islands of Adventure and the celebration of the entertainment industry of Universal Studios.
- While the lands could each be tied together by being based on genres, each ride has its own immersive subarea around it. Similar to how MK's Fantasyland has the main area, Enchanted Forest, and Storybook Circus, that all flow together really well and are easily tied together by being fantasy.
- The park would be very large, (I'd say in the 150-200 acres range would be good), and each land should have 1-2 expansion pads for if something comes along that would make a good IP expansion. Also, I'd say giving the park an actual hub layout for once would be very beneficial/
- Hollywood: Opening area based off old timey Hollywood, and could be deliberately designed to have a nighttime show.
- Adventure Isle: The adventure genre area, and could potentially have rides/sub-areas based off Jaws, Pokemon, and Warcraft.
- Fantasy Mountain: The fantasy genre area, and could potentially have rides/sub-areas based off Zelda, Lord of the Rings, and Fantastic Beasts.
- Horror Land: The horror genre area, and could potentially have rides/sub-areas based off Universal Monsters, Hotel Translyvania, and Laika. (Who says it has to be a truly "scary" horror land?)
- Sci-Fi Center: The sci-fi genre area, and could potentially have rides/sub-areas based off Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, and Back to the Future.
- Action City: The action genre area, and could potentially have rides/sub-areas based off Godzilla, Ghostbusters, and Marvel. (If the Marvel contract allow them to have different Marvel stuff outside of IOA.)

When the third gate comes, I think it would make logical sense if we see the park have the following;

~Highly themed environments immersing you
~IP's are at the Priority but it could bring in something original
~The Size should atleast be over 115 acres but also under 170 acres
~Equal mix of Family rides, Thrill rides, and shows
~2021 would be the logical opening, to compete with MKs 50th

atleast wanted to share some thoughts..
I think your breakdown would have a high chance of probability.

I think your breakdown would have a high chance of probability.

What i'm looking at is what can be realistic for Universals abilities, especially considering if they start construction on the plot as early as Q1-Q2 2017 (even before Volcano Bay opens) and quite possibly start site-prep as early as late 2016 so when Fallon becomes finished, that can be a focus. That being said..if I was to give a spitball of IPs that could be realistic..

~The Legend of Zelda
~Fantastic Beasts
~Universals Monsters (Classic Monsters or the new version if the new monsters universe succeeds)
~Sanrio (Hello Kitty, E.T.C)
~Lakia (Coraline, E.T.C.)

That being said, those I can see realistically. As of right now, I have sincere doubts on LOTR making its way to the parks BUT I will say if WB wins the court case for them to use the IP for the parks; I can see it possible.

I'm also just keeping in mind that this is more what I see for now as realistic, especially since they all seem that they can be very profitable, even considering the recent track record.

What i'm looking at is what can be realistic for Universals abilities, especially considering if they start construction on the plot as early as Q1-Q2 2017 (even before Volcano Bay opens) and quite possibly start site-prep as early as late 2016 so when Fallon becomes finished, that can be a focus. That being said..if I was to give a spitball of IPs that could be realistic..

~The Legend of Zelda
~Fantastic Beasts
~Universals Monsters (Classic Monsters or the new version if the new monsters universe succeeds)
~Sanrio (Hello Kitty, E.T.C)
~Lakia (Coraline, E.T.C.)

That being said, those I can see realistically. As of right now, I have sincere doubts on LOTR making its way to the parks BUT I will say if WB wins the court case for them to use the IP for the parks; I can see it possible.

I'm also just keeping in mind that this is more what I see for now as realistic, especially since they all seem that they can be very profitable, even considering the recent track record.
In mind with those timelines, I recall a post from Teebin earlier this year where he was talking about Universal Creative advertising & hiring a slew of people for future projects. All of these happenings are seeming to come together. Lots of good future forum discussions.

I basically have a wish list...

IP is totally fine with me (and is certainly a necessary evil with Universal these days). I'd like to see a more concerted effort to envelop IP into more generalized environments.

Rather than IP#1 land and IP#2 land we see the mythical kingdom which can include elements from those different franchises, or the adventure jungle that could then encapsulate a few different ideas.

I'd also like to see some more originality out of UC, at least one or two things I'd hope are created completely to advance the overall park's theme and message. They can even weave nods to that narrative in their two existing parks.

Also a truly, honest-to-goodness nighttime spectacular on a Disney level. A Proper Parade route and a night time parade just for kicks.

And yes... lets steer clear of making this Universal Park 3.0. I want some proper menu planning that doesn't just make this a rehash of what they've already done. Let's not get another movie-simulator, let's not get Spiderman 3.0.

The 'Studios' theme is a failed venture. IOA is awesome, but is very much the Studio's 2.0. Tokyo Disney Sea is basically the benchmark. This doesn't have to be Universal's Disney Park by any means, but I hope it deviates just as much if not more than IOA did from the Studios (once upon a time).

I'm getting a very Disney Sea / Universal Beijing / Shanghai Disneyland combo vibe for this new park. Very different from its predecessors but taking best practices from them. This includes a modified hub-spoke layout (akin to Disney Sea), a hotel in or overlooking the park (akin to Disneyland Paris and Universal Beijing), and modern takes on old favorites. That last one could include rides (like what Disney is doing for Pirates in Shanghai) and lands (like what Disney is doing with Main Street).

Outside of the Mayan and Ancient Egyptian themed resorts I'd like to see at the new plot, my blue sky for the transportation via Gondola cable cars to the new expansion pad, would have a connector station at a Ski-Resort themed resort at the WnW plot. What a draw that would be along I-Drive.

Totally a USF property. If it would make a good attraction, it'd be in USF (slight chance IOA). If it'd make a great LAND, it'd be for the new park.
I disagree...I would think that any new park would want to open as few IP-specific lands as possible, with an exception to something humongous like Lord of the Rings. It just puts them into a corner that they don't need to be in, and limits what can or can't fit. Either way, I dont think Independence Day could possibly support a full land but I dont see why that would exclude it from any potential new parks.

And by the way, Independence Day would be an AWESOME ride. I've always envisioned something like a cross between Men in Black and Mummy--a roller coaster portion in the dark (space) culminating in a slow moving interactive shooter portion, then ending with another roller coaster "escape" to Earth. With how successful the movie was, I'm surprised no theme parks ever swooped up the rights.

I've put a lot of thought into how can a park be super unique. Then it hit me. Why not make the way to get into the park unique? In Harry Potter the only main way to get to Hogwarts is by train. To get to the future and past in back to the future you had to go 88 mph. So why not something like that here? I thought about the future and IPs people suggested and the name legends and an idea hit me. This isn't fully thought out and won't happen but it would be interesting to see if it would work.

The entrance to the park is a Hall of Records big and majestic with city park like settings around it and Citywalk 2.0 right near by. Tons of wildlife and trees leading up to a large staircase/with a ramp for those who are disabled and in wheelchairs. Enter the great Hall where we have the turnstiles and gift store, customer service, etc if you countinue forward you hit this large library area which the Records keeper is who takes a small group into a room leading to a special preshow which explains the story.

Throughout times, great stories have been told. Tales of heroes, of monsters, of love, from all over the world. Something strange has occured. The stories have been coming to life, coming into existence and here today we are going to share it with you. He leads them to a door that opens and leads into the actual park area. (This is a way to control guest traffic by limiting the intake of guests into the park, it can prevent congestion and lead to higher guest satisfaction).

With three preshow rooms, each begins in a different area (all the areas are connected though as well) One leads you to a world of epic fantasy, where you get to experience the world of LOTR, Warcraft, Fantastic beasts and Zelda. Along with that, there will be hints of epic adventure films such as The Neverending Story, Princess Bride, etc. This is Universal's fantasyland pretty much but with more thrills.

Connected to this land following a yellow brick road across a poppy field is the land of Oz where the Wiz and Wicked are both represented. This is more of a Diagon Alley like thing with one ride and a show with experience and immersion being the key. This also connects to the Sci Fi area

The Other preshow room leads you to another dimension and we end up in Sci Fi area. When you first enter, it pays tribute to the cheesy 1950s space movies but as you go deeper and deeper you dive into a world of Battlestar Galactica, Dr. Who, Ghostbusters, Back to the future, Aliens, Heroes, Pacific Rim etc. As for the rides, this should be your high octane, super high thrills off the rail rides.

Connected to Sci Fi, you have Classic Horror Ville. This is where all your Universal monsters reside along with Coraline and Paranorman. This connects to world village

The last Preshow rooms leads to the Little World. This is a village where IPs/stories from other countries are represented along with food. Seeing Japan/China/England/Italy/etc being shown here. A martial arts show (I'm talking Hidden Dragon,Crouching tiger level), solving a mystery with sherlock holmes, taking a romantic stroll in Italy all occur here. this connects to Animation

The next land is the Animation central. This is where you have pokemon, anime, spongebob, Minions, and everything else animated residing. This is also the area where the main parade takes place every day. This land connects with Jungle area.

The jungle area takes you deep in the jungle where you experience head hunters/go through monstrous caves, and experience a 1930s expedition. Planet of the Apes, Castaway, Public Domian Tarzan, Public Domain Jungle Book etc are represented here. This leads back to the fantasyland area

I think with this many areas and themes, there would finally be something for everyone. Its different enough for IOA and the Studios to give it a unique identity and has things for everyone as well. I would also put hotels inside the park as well which the hall of records acts as a Check in area allowing you to stay in certain areas of the park. With this being the last park they most likely are going to have in the area...they should go big or go home.

Last edited:
An IP that never gets mentioned in these threads and is quite possibly the biggest IP in the world is the NFL. It doesn't fit into the usual movie IP category that ends up in the parks, but I don't know why its not considered. Obviously the merch side would be huge, but the ride side could be difficult. Maybe a training camp dark ride? Not sure if it would really fit well in the parks, but it could be the anchor for the new citiwalk. Big sports bar. Maybe a stadium layout with huge tvs in the middle. shop surrounding it underneath the seating with merch from all of the teams. Custom Jersey shop on site. Maybe figure out a way to do college football stuff as well. I'm sure there are reasons none of this can happen, but if it did, there is a lot of money making potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.