Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 322 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two new Notice of Commencements were just filed for "Site Development Services" for the SLRC land. The most interesting bit is their expiration date is April 30th 2020. These NoCs are in reference to the Mass Grading and Fill permits that were filed with Orange County a few months ago. This likely means veritical/actual park construction will begin sometime in 2020 (or maybe even earlier) after this work is completed.

(Sorry that the PDF imaging function of the bot is still broken)

Post that on the expansion thread! :clap:

Say what you want about the rides themselves, but all the new rides have been really good experiences start to finish with the queues. This makes me happy as this should expand with the park itself and theming.

If Loews is still going to be their partners on Site B, I would not expect the hotels to be much different than what we see currently

I think Universal basically designs and builds the resort and Loews just run's it. Watched a few interviews filmed during the Aventura opening and they were all Universal Creative people talking about how they came up with the design, why they selected certain color schemes, etc. I'm sure Loews has a say in things, but I really can't see Loews holding back Universal in terms of theme and design. After all, these resorts are probably the highest grossing resorts with their name attached to them. Not on a per night charge of course because some of their big city properties run easily $500+ a night but overall number of at capacity nights they have.

Reactions: HPFred and OrlLover
I think Universal basically designs and builds the resort and Loews just run's it. Watched a few interviews filmed during the Aventura opening and they were all Universal Creative people talking about how they came up with the design, why they selected certain color schemes, etc. I'm sure Loews has a say in things, but I really can't see Loews holding back Universal in terms of theme and design. After all, these resorts are probably the highest grossing resorts with their name attached to them. Not on a per night charge of course because some of their big city properties run easily $500+ a night but overall number of at capacity nights they have.

I think Loews is a bit picky. I know they're the reason that there isn't an option to put your park ticket on your room key. I don't think they're huge in the decision making process, but I think they definitely push for a more "traditional" layout and to not go overboard on the theming.

Reactions: HPFred
I agree

While I do hope the hotels on the southern complex branch out from beach/time period/location "themes" not expecting "immersive" hotels to go along with the "immersive" park

If they do a MiraCosta or DLPHotel, where it's within the main entrance of the park, that's where I would imagine that they would have an immersive hotel.

Reactions: OrlLover
I was just thinking, the way Universal does things, they could "secretly" build 3/4 of their new park before announcing anything and unlike most existing stuff they build it might be relatively difficult to keep up with construction for the average person.

Reactions: Magic-Man
While I do hope the hotels on the southern complex branch out from beach/time period/location "themes" not expecting "immersive" hotels to go along with the "immersive" park

I think they should stay the course. Universal has a handle on picking good themes that are evergreen.

As far as “immersive...” Disney’s upcoming Star Wars Hotel gives me mixed emotions. It might be a good idea in the short-term, but how will it age?

As far as “immersive...” Disney’s upcoming Star Wars Hotel gives me mixed emotions. It might be a good idea in the short-term, but how will it age?

Agreed, and I have a feeling they will be changing a lot of their expectations on how immersive guests REALLY want their experience. Being actively part of the star wars plot for days at a time might get tiresome if you're not a dedicated fan.

I think theme park fans get way too hung up on this stuff. I don't think there will be a tall thrill coaster, but if it is, I don't care as long as it's a good ride.

Yeah, most of the sight line discussion is inane. Funny how much TDS comes up here, because even the most beautifully designed park in the world probably wouldn’t pass muster with the immersion police. Sure there’s a space where you’re completely enveloped within Mt. Prometheus, but you can also see the darn thing from the entirety of Cape Cod.

I think great theme park design makes these juxtapositions work (even if it’s not rational, like when an ominous volcano looms over Duffy’s happy home), rather than eliminating them entirely. And I think coasters can be a part of that design too. Raging Spirits isn’t really any more themed than Dueling Dragons was, and it works just fine (thematically, I know most don’t like it as a coaster).

Fantasy and suspension of disbelief are wonderful, and a big part of the park experience, but the all-or-nothing attitude people have on here ain’t for me. If you go to a park demanding that you forget where you are every second of the day, I’m not sure you really like parks that much, or if you’re just trying to recapture that feeling you had when you visited them as a kid and couldn’t tell fact from fiction.

Yeah, most of the sight line discussion is inane. Funny how much TDS comes up here, because even the most beautifully designed park in the world probably wouldn’t pass muster with the immersion police. Sure there’s a space where you’re completely enveloped within Mt. Prometheus, but you can also see the darn thing from the entirety of Cape Cod.

I think great theme park design makes these juxtapositions work (even if it’s not rational, like when an ominous volcano looms over Duffy’s happy home), rather than eliminating them entirely. And I think coasters can be a part of that design too. Raging Spirits isn’t really any more themed than Dueling Dragons was, and it works just fine (thematically, I know most don’t like it as a coaster).

Fantasy and suspension of disbelief are wonderful, and a big part of the park experience, but the all-or-nothing attitude people have on here ain’t for me. If you go to a park demanding that you forget where you are every second of the day, I’m not sure you really like parks that much, or if you’re just trying to recapture that feeling you had when you visited them as a kid and couldn’t tell fact from fiction.
Yea, you've encapsulated my feelings about "immersion" pretty much fully here.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95

As long as show buildings are covered and the coaster has a nice colour scheme/support design...I could care less

Damn, that’s a great point. Does that mean I can get my Flying Dinosaur clone now? ;)

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
Status
Not open for further replies.