UOR Announcement/Info After D23? | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

UOR Announcement/Info After D23?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Hard to believe, but I'm not sure Universal can top Disney on this announcement right now. Unless they announce the rest of the MSHI revamp with an Avengers ride. I'm not sure even Nintendo details will top Star Wars right now.
Nothing can top Star Wars. Literally nothing. It's the one thing that's bigger than Potter. Universal's best bet is to wait for the hype to die down before any major announcements. Disney's best bet will be to regularly leak details to keep the hype train rolling. This will be an interesting time for Orlando theme parks, with Universal rolling out so many projects and Disney opening what could potentially be the most popular theme park land ever.

Have they set an opening date for this land yet?

I've read at least 5 different reports on it so far and none have mentioned an opening window time frame. I think they only announced it to A) Reassure fans that they do in fact have plans for DHS given its current state and B) To ride the way of Star Wars hype currently building.

I wouldn't be completely surprised if this turned into another Avatar and actual construction didn't start for a long while.

They'll never top Star Wars as far as general public hype, but they can share the spotlight if they announced more Nintendoland details.
I respectfully disagree. There's a difference between awareness of an IP and being a fan. People may be just as familiar with Mario as they are Darth Vader (hell, maybe more) but I'd be willing to bet more people are diehard fans of Star Wars than they are Nintendo.
That's just kind of the nature of the mediums. Nintendo requires purchase of a game system, a lot of time commitment to play, renewed interest in new games...but all you have to do to be a Star Wars fan is see the movies. It's more accessible, so by default I think that makes it the more popular property.

I respectfully disagree. There's a difference between awareness of an IP and being a fan. People may be just as familiar with Mario as they are Darth Vader (hell, maybe more) but I'd be willing to bet more people are diehard fans of Star Wars than they are Nintendo.
That's just kind of the nature of the mediums. Nintendo requires purchase of a game system, a lot of time commitment to play, renewed interest in new games...but all you have to do to be a Star Wars fan is see the movies. It's more accessible, so by default I think that makes it the more popular property.

Right.. Star Wars is more popular. I don't get the disagreeement?

Right.. Star Wars is more popular. I don't get the disagreeement?
So I don't see how it would be smart for them to share the spotlight...Universal should wait for this all to die down because any details on Nintendo will just get bogged down by this weekend.

Maybe not a disagreement...I took your post I quoted to be a retort to mine. My b

Reactions: Mad Dog
So I don't see how it would be smart for them to share the spotlight...Universal should wait for this all to die down because any details on Nintendo will just get bogged down by this weekend.

Maybe not a disagreement...I took your post I quoted to be a retort to mine. My b

All good. Was replying to Milla. Either way, I'm not saying they should. Just saying the only IP they have that could draw away some of the limelight is Nintendo.

I would like to make one observation though. While you are correct about Star Wars probably having a bigger diehard fan base then Nintendo, even sense the Star Wars land announcement was been made, a lot of the focus of those fans hasn't been on the Land. I'm a member of several Star Wars fan sites, and a good chunk of the talk atm is about the official poster reveal and other movie news coming out this weekend. The announcement of the land is coming off like just another Star Wars news story in a heavy Star Wars news weekend within that diehard fanbase. Star Wars is in hype overload atm and if Universal wanted they could use that to their advantage.

That said, I really don't see Universal making any kind of announcement soon. Nintendo would be the only thing they could come out with that would really cause a stir, and I would prefer they wait until they have all their ducks in a row before saying anything else about it.

Reactions: Tucker
Star Wars Land is now official, but hasn't this been in the works for ages? Since Harry Potter, even? I will say I wasn't expecting the land to include so much.

Nothing can top Star Wars. Literally nothing. It's the one thing that's bigger than Potter. Universal's best bet is to wait for the hype to die down before any major announcements. Disney's best bet will be to regularly leak details to keep the hype train rolling. This will be an interesting time for Orlando theme parks, with Universal rolling out so many projects and Disney opening what could potentially be the most popular theme park land ever.

Nothing can top Star Wars. It was huge even before the 2nd saga. Now with another saga rolling out, it has even more lasting power. The same can't be said about Potter. There's no more books or movies in the works (fantastic beast doesn't count), and it's not half as popular as it was in the 2000s. I wonder if Star Wars Land will clog I-4 up the same way HP did. I'll never forget that! The line for FJ was out to City Walk..Anyway, I think Disney has turned the tables. Hopefully Universal can utilize Nintendo the right way. If only Universal had the land Disney does. WDW has enough for another park, or two..lol.

Nothing can top Star Wars. It was huge even before the 2nd saga. Now with another saga rolling out, it has even more lasting power. The same can't be said about Potter. There's no more books or movies in the works (fantastic beast doesn't count), and it's not half as popular as it was in the 2000s. I wonder if Star Wars Land will clog I-4 up the same way HP did. I'll never forget that! The line for FJ was out to City Walk..Anyway, I think Disney has turned the tables. Hopefully Universal can utilize Nintendo the right way. If only Universal had the land Disney does. WDW has enough for another park, or two..lol.

Fantastic Beasts doesn't count? OK...

I'm by no means a Harry Potter fan but it's still pretty damn popular.

If Universal wanted to steal the spotlight they should reveal more info about Marvel. But anything they announce would probably get lost in all the info coming out this weekend anyway.

If Universal wanted to steal the spotlight they should reveal more info about Marvel. But anything they announce would probably get lost in all the info coming out this weekend anyway.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Right now online, the Star Wars Episode 7 Poster and Rouge One photo are trending, but Disney's Star Wars Land is not. The main interest for Star Wars diehards right now is with the movies. Like I said above, if they really wanted to Universal could use that to their advantage.

Even IOA Marvel news right now would essentially be Disney news so Universal should just sit this one out.

How does it count? It doesn't involve any of the original characters. It's seventy years before Harry Potter even exist. The Wizarding World is immensely popular if that's what you're referring to. I'd venture to say Star Wars is more equally, if not more, popular than HP.

Everyone knows Fantastic Beasts is a part of Harry Potter, maybe not the original story but they know it's a Harry Potter thing.
Harry Potter still has quite a bit going for it, in part thanks to the parks. It's got a play coming out in the summer of 16' as well as continuing spin offs and info from the stories' world. There is still a massive, and somewhat slowly growing fan base. I can guarantee you it will have lasting power.
That said I certainly believe that Star Wars is the definitive answer to Potter and it will signal a beginning to a new theme park war - if Disney is willing to get into it, and with this announcement it appears that they are.

Reactions: DK745
Everyone knows Fantastic Beasts is a part of Harry Potter, maybe not the original story but they know it's a Harry Potter thing.
Harry Potter still has quite a bit going for it, in part thanks to the parks. It's got a play coming out in the summer of 16' as well as continuing spin offs and info from the stories' world. There is still a massive, and somewhat slowly growing fan base. I can guarantee you it will have lasting power.
That said I certainly believe that Star Wars is the definitive answer to Potter and it will signal a beginning to a new theme park war - if Disney is willing to get into it, and with this announcement it appears that they are.

Plus there was a big gap between Star Wars films. 1983 to 1999. even though the prequels weren't that good, the fanbase was still there and kept growing. I'm not saying Harry Potter is Star Wars, but it seems like something with long legs that isn't just fading away as a fad. They're doing enough to keep it active right now.

Harry Potter is practically this generation's Star Wars. Even if it's not continuing now, it's still very popular and what's to say it's not going to continue sometime in the future, like Star Wars did after both trilogies? I'd hardly call it a fad.

Reactions: Frogki