UOR Announcement/Info After D23? | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

UOR Announcement/Info After D23?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Harry Potter is practically this generation's Star Wars. Even if it's not continuing now, it's still very popular and what's to say it's not going to continue sometime in the future, like Star Wars did after both trilogies? I'd hardly call it a fad.

I grew up with Harry Potter, and I bought all the books as they came out, as well as tickets to the movies. Biggest selling book series of all time. I'm a huge fan, can you tell? I just know with the limited amount of space Universal has, they wouldn't hesitate to switch things up in 5-10 years if it fades or the next big thing comes along. Then again they put Springfield a little close to the sunset imo, lol. Star Wars is definitely the best answer for Disney.

Everyone knows Fantastic Beasts is a part of Harry Potter, maybe not the original story but they know it's a Harry Potter thing.
Harry Potter still has quite a bit going for it, in part thanks to the parks. It's got a play coming out in the summer of 16' as well as continuing spin offs and info from the stories' world. There is still a massive, and somewhat slowly growing fan base. I can guarantee you it will have lasting power.
That said I certainly believe that Star Wars is the definitive answer to Potter and it will signal a beginning to a new theme park war - if Disney is willing to get into it, and with this announcement it appears that they are.
Maybe everyone on this site knows what Fantastic Beasts is and that it's part of HP, but go out and survey some random people. You will likely get a lot of weird looks and a lot of people that have no idea what you are talking about. You'll probably come across the fan here/there that knows, but even I, as someone who read every book and was a huge Potter nerd, wouldn't have known what Fantastic Beasts was if it wasn't for this site.

Fantastic Beasts is a weak brand right now.

Reactions: Jon84 and Tucker
universal and comcast are too busy with the news of how they seem to have a surprise hit on their hand about about to break the record for record time for 2 billion domestically. Personally, any theme park announcement would be saved for Monday when Disney itself can't counter it.

Maybe everyone on this site knows what Fantastic Beasts is and that it's part of HP, but go out and survey some random people. You will likely get a lot of weird looks and a lot of people that have no idea what you are talking about. You'll probably come across the fan here/there that knows, but even I, as someone who read every book and was a huge Potter nerd, wouldn't have known what Fantastic Beasts was if it wasn't for this site.

Fantastic Beasts is far from a weak brand. It was trending on Twitter and Facebook when it was announced, as was the news of Colin Farrell being cast in the film. Harry Potter fan sites have been covering every bit of news and rumors about the project to boot. Couple that with the fact the J.K. Rowling herself writing the film. She has to this day been one of the most quoted and retweeted people in social media on everything from politics to the Harry Potter universe itself. The core fandom is well aware of the film, and it's a bit disingenuous to try and act like they don't because you claimed not too.

Reactions: Frogki

True, but if you simply tell them "It's a new Harry Potter movie.", it'd probably spike up many of their interest.

From a business perspective Universal should stay quiet. The attention is turned to Disney right now and any attempt given by Universal will look desperate. Right now Universal has Disney playing it's own game. By waiting a little longer Universal keeps itself one step ahead of the game. Give it some time.

Fantastic Beasts is far from a weak brand. It was trending on Twitter and Facebook when it was announced, as was the news of Colin Farrell being cast in the film. Harry Potter fan sites have been covering every bit of news and rumors about the project to boot. Couple that with the fact the J.K. Rowling herself writing the film. She has to this day been one of the most quoted and retweeted people in social media on everything from politics to the Harry Potter universe itself. The core fandom is well aware of the film, and it's a bit disingenuous to try and act like they don't because you claimed not too.
Anything can trend on twitter if enough fans are excited about something at once. Doesn't mean the general public knows a lick about it.

True, but if you simply tell them "It's a new Harry Potter movie.", it'd probably spike up many of their interest.
Then the question becomes for everyone who was sold on it being a new HP movie without reading into it much... "Where's Harry?"

I just think the first movie better be really good because if you have situations like that where people go expecting something because someone told them it was a Potter movie, then it better be a damn good movie to make up for the fact that they were misled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything can trend on twitter if enough fans are excited about something at once. Doesn't mean the general public knows a lick about it.

But it does prove that the core fans, who you insinuated also know nothing about the film, do in fact know. And in this case, that's all it really needs this far out from release. The core fanbase for Harry Potter is MASSIVE, both in the U.S. And worldwide. If Twilight has taught us anything, it's that a strong fanbase can carry a film to unexpected heights regardless of GP awareness or even general interest or like in it. And Harry Potter is by all means a far stronger and well established IP in the eyes of the GP than Twilight.

But it does prove that the core fans, who you insinuated also know nothing about the film, do in fact know. And in this case, that's all it really needs this far out from release. The core fanbase for Harry Potter is MASSIVE, both in the U.S. And worldwide. If Twilight has taught us anything, it's that a strong fanbase can carry a film to unexpected heights regardless of GP awareness or even general interest or like in it. And Harry Potter is by all means a far stronger and well established IP in the eyes of the GP than Twilight.
Go back and read what I said. I said if you asked a random bunch of people....you'd probably find a few fans who knew it. I said that I PERSONALLY didn't know. I was insinuating that it could be the same for many other Potter fans who've read the books, not all.

My point is, just because the hardest of the hardcore go crazy about something doesn't mean anything and just because something trends on twitter CERTAINLY doesn't mean anything.

Go back and read what I said. I said if you asked a random bunch of people....you'd probably find a few fans who knew it. I said that I PERSONALLY didn't know. I was insinuating that it could be the same for many other Potter fans who've read the books, not all.

My point is, just because the hardest of the hardcore go crazy about something doesn't mean anything and just because something trends on twitter CERTAINLY doesn't mean anything.

I'll just finish by saying I think you shouldn't just dismiss social media trends like that. There is a reason why huge, multi-billion dollar companies (like Universal) pour millions and millions of dollars into social media marketing and analysis. We live in an age of social media awareness and it has become a major player in how people get and share information.

Reactions: Frogki
After seeing the Iron Man screenshot for the Hong Kong ride, as well as the concept artwork for Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land, I don't see why Universal would want or need to throw something out there.

I was honestly underwhelmed with both DHS announcements. Only 2 rides in what Disney is touting as their biggest park expansion ever? Maybe I need to see more, but what I got out of it was Fantasyland Expansion/Pandora 2.0. I figured we'd get a big E ticket, a D ticket, and a few smaller rides and walkthroughs.

Nintendoland or the Marvel Superhero Island redo could easily trump what Disney threw out if its ambitious enough.

Reactions: AK-Jake
After seeing the Iron Man screenshot for the Hong Kong ride, as well as the concept artwork for Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land, I don't see why Universal would want or need to throw something out there.

I was honestly underwhelmed with both DHS announcements. Only 2 rides in what Disney is touting as their biggest park expansion ever? Maybe I need to see more, but what I got out of it was Fantasyland Expansion/Pandora 2.0. I figured we'd get a big E ticket, a D ticket, and a few smaller rides and walkthroughs.

Nintendoland or the Marvel Superhero Island redo could easily trump what Disney threw out if its ambitious enough.

Star Wars land is Diagon Alley though. It should be an experience of its own, not counting the two rides.

With that being said, it does worry me that we'll be losing upwards of 9 attractions and are only so far getting 4 back.

I think Universal got word they were definitely going to announce Star Wars at D23 and decided to go ahead and announce Hulk before the event. Probably not right but just my guess.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Star Wars land is Diagon Alley though. It should be an experience of its own, not counting the two rides.

With that being said, it does worry me that we'll be losing upwards of 9 attractions and are only so far getting 4 back.
Agreed on both counts. To your first point, I'm excited to be able to walk through a Star Wars-themed environment and appreciate all the little details in the same way a lot of you do for the Harry Potter lands. I've never really been *into* an IP a theme park has turned into a big land or ride before now, so two rides should be more than enough as long as the land is as immersive as Disney's recent efforts.

To your second point, I'm also a little put off by that. But I think that there's a chance there's more to come after what was announced...they could be holding off so they can announce later and keep the hype going. Or there could be plans for Phase 2's. Either way, the attractions we lost at DHS are, for the most part, lame. We're only getting 4 rides in return but they're solid RIDES. I'll take em for now.

From a business perspective Universal should stay quiet. The attention is turned to Disney right now and any attempt given by Universal will look desperate. Right now Universal has Disney playing it's own game. By waiting a little longer Universal keeps itself one step ahead of the game. Give it some time.

I think you are right. Announcing something right now may come off as desperately wanting attention. Disney may have the hype right now with these announcements, but I'm betting Universal execs are sitting and grinning knowing that by the time the Star Wars expansion opens at DHS they will have probably built at least 3-5 more E-ticket attractions.

Reactions: USO92
I think you are right. Announcing something right now may come off as desperately wanting attention. Disney may have the hype right now with these announcements, but I'm betting Universal execs are sitting and grinning knowing that by the time the Star Wars expansion opens at DHS they will have probably built at least 3-5 more E-ticket attractions.

*cough* SeaWorld *cough*

Reactions: USO92
To your second point, I'm also a little put off by that. But I think that there's a chance there's more to come after what was announced...they could be holding off so they can announce later and keep the hype going. Or there could be plans for Phase 2's. Either way, the attractions we lost at DHS are, for the most part, lame. We're only getting 4 rides in return but they're solid RIDES. I'll take em for now.

Eh. These rides will probably be better than what's been lost, but no matter how lame, a LOT has been lost. While I'm not a huge fan of flat rides, I think there should have been 1-2 more in Toy Story land. Still, hopefully there's more coming