Villain-Con Minion Blast (General Discussion) | Page 53 | Inside Universal Forums

Villain-Con Minion Blast (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This always happens with new attractions, regardless of the content.

And F&F continues to get an excessively bad rap. It’s a fun dumb ride for a fun dumb IP, and the new improv elements in the pre-show have actually turned them into a strong point. I’ve been surprised by how positive guest reactions have been the last several times I’ve ridden it (though I’m sure overall scores are still low). Honestly, I’d rather have this version then a bare steel coaster with the IP name slapped on it.
Yes, the pre show has always been the rare strength of F&F. I've previously also said that the only way to enjoy the ride is to look at it as 'so bad, that it's funny'. But, I still think it's not very re rideable and a very poor use of a huge space in a park that doesn't have the space to to waste on a large land use bad attraction.

I think most of the negativity really stemmed from "More Minions??"
My negative initial reaction to this project had nothing to do with the subject matter, but everything to do with it being another screen-based attraction getting the green light instead of something I think the park needs more (a more traditional dark ride).

I like the Minions quite a bit. I don't love that they're fully taking over the entrance land of the park, but if this project had been a Minions dark ride filled with AAs (or even simple animated figures) and extensive sets, I'd be thrilled about it.

As for Supercharged?
a940a1b9-5640-4ad4-a72e-e649a35d4b22_text.gif

My negative initial reaction to this project had nothing to do with the subject matter, but everything to do with it being another screen-based attraction getting the green light instead of something I think the park needs more (a more traditional dark ride).

I like the Minions quite a bit. I don't love that they're fully taking over the entrance land of the park, but if this project had been a Minions dark ride filled with AAs (or even simple animated figures) and extensive sets, I'd be thrilled about it.

As for Supercharged?
a940a1b9-5640-4ad4-a72e-e649a35d4b22_text.gif
I’m with you. No matter how bad the actual content of Shrek 4-D was, it offered two benefits:

1. A/C for 20 minutes
2. A cool, dark place to sit down.

If you have to do another screen thing…fine. But this ride wont even give you a seat!

It feels like these new attractions (at USF specifically) continue testing the boundaries of what guests will actually consider a viable “ride” ever since Fallon came. I don’t need to go on the thing to be a little pressed that Universal is actually selling a moving walkway with screens as a representation of one of its biggest IPs. I will be surprised beyond belief if this ends up being even on par with Web Slingers.

It feels like these new attractions (at USF specifically) continue testing the boundaries of what guests will actually consider a viable “ride” ever since Fallon came. I don’t need to go on the thing to be a little pressed that Universal is actually selling a moving walkway with screens as a representation of one of its biggest IPs.
both pirates and mansion were originally thought to be walkthrough attractions, which I only bring up to say that I'm not sure this is an example of universal wandering too far from the light of god. I get it, this is a moving walkway with screens you shoot at instead of a museum with physical figurines you look at, but ... this is a perfectly fine, B or C-ticket attraction that will be accessible to just about anyone (my hope is that those who use wheelchairs will still be able to experience this).

I think this looks like fun. I guess I'll find out in September if it's, well, not.

both pirates and mansion were originally thought to be walkthrough attractions, which I only bring up to say that I'm not sure this is an example of universal wandering too far from the light of god. I get it, this is a moving walkway with screens you shoot at instead of a museum with physical figurines you look at, but ... this is a perfectly fine, B or C-ticket attraction that will be accessible to just about anyone (my hope is that those who use wheelchairs will still be able to experience this).

I think this looks like fun. I guess I'll find out in September if it's, well, not.
And there’s nothing wrong with fully accessible, smaller scale experiences. But attractions based on blockbuster franchises have blockbuster expectations. When you have the backing of a known quantity like the Minions, which for 10+ years have proven to be almost guaranteed merch movers and ticket sellers, you should be able to devote more resources than a hybrid between Toy Story Mania and the Citywalk Parking Garage Experience lol. If even the Minions can’t get an E-ticket, it doesn’t really bode well for the future of USF’s attraction slate IMO.

I think people find Minions fun, and if this is fun, it’ll meet the GP’s expectations fully.
pretty much! I don't think there is, or needs to be, a strong correlation between franchise strength and attraction complexity. if this ride is fun and lives up to the spirit of the minion films, it'll be just fine. not everything needs to be forbidden journey or rise of the resistance and it's a strength for USF, in my opinion, if their C-tickets are based on properties people actually care about and not the slightly-better-jimmy-late-night-host.

pretty much! I don't think there is, or needs to be, a strong correlation between franchise strength and attraction complexity. if this ride is fun and lives up to the spirit of the minion films, it'll be just fine. not everything needs to be forbidden journey or rise of the resistance and it's a strength for USF, in my opinion, if their C-tickets are based on properties people actually care about and not the slightly-better-jimmy-late-night-host.
I agree with you in general, no question. But stronger IP does correlate with larger financial backing. And yet with this, we’re not even getting ride vehicles.

Just realizing-- it's pretty amazing they have been able to do work to something in the middle of the park with few (or maybe no) disruptions to the area around it. Thinking back to Transformers and Velocicoaster construction, there were times when construction vehicles were going through the park while it was open to bring materials and equipment in and out with guests being held on the pathways, but I haven't seen anything like that with this. And I assume they had to remove the old ride system and bring the new one in, but I guess most or all was done when the park was closed.

We work 24hrs. on install. There's stuff going out to the park tonight I left on the table when I was done for the day at 4pm and guests will see it tomorrow morning.

We work 24hrs. on install. There's stuff going out to the park tonight I left on the table when I was done for the day at 4pm and guests will see it tomorrow morning.
That was my assumption-- the bulk of the materials for installation being delivered overnight, but work taking place all day as well.

When the new bus parking structure went up at City Walk materials didn't get delivered till around 4pm with the crane permit only good for when the last guest left. If I didn't have to return the company truck I would have just gone to Universal to ride ET on those days. :(

This attraction will solve three problems:
1) An attraction everyone can ride (which Universal has been admittedly bad about 2000s onward)
2) Minions get a true unique area (whether or not it's up to par as it should be I think we're all on agreement it could be better)
3) This replaces a 'sit down and watch screen' type of attraction which Universal has been raked over the coals about for the last decade

**bonus** It adds a highly re-rideable (I assume) interactive attraction

1) An attraction everyone can ride (which Universal has been admittedly bad about 2000s onward)
this was the most striking thing about visiting universal and walt disney world on the same trip with a family member who was four months pregnant. there was much more for her to experience at the disney parks than at the universal parks. I think she made it on two attractions the entire time at the universal resort, and one was the hogwart's express.

which is to say: more accessible attractions would be a nice get for the resort.

2) Minions get a true unique area (whether or not it's up to par as it should be I think we're all on agreement it could be better)
3) This replaces a 'sit down and watch screen' type of attraction which Universal has been raked over the coals about for the last decade

**bonus** It adds a highly re-rideable (I assume) interactive attraction
This is where my POV lies.

Unfortunately, Universal put itself in a literal corner when it added Minion Mayhem back in 2012 so it's tough to do something akin to what Japan and Beijing got.