Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Waits and Uptime Reports - Hagrid’s Magical Creature Motorbike Adventure

At the risk of getting skewered for thread drift, I read the below article where Iger takes a direct shot at Universal for Hagrid's line. The thing that doesn't true is that Disney has not built high capacity rides as much and has delayed RoTR for months. Every new ride has major delays or runs behind schedule, or so it seems. I could even go on about how FP+ messed up regular wait times. Anyway, I wasn't sure where to post this but, since it took a shot at Hagrid's wait times, I dropped it here.

Disney says lower foot traffic at Galaxy's Edge's was intentional

It’s just funny cause I think Universal opens up attractions a bit too soon, where I feel Disney drags out opening a land to the point I begin losing excitement. I just wish we could find a middle ground haha. But in everyone’s opinion, what’s better in your mind?

Delayed ride for several months, to have it working pretty frequently with minimal or little downtime.

Or, have the ride open as soon as possible with consistent downtime’s and closures?

It’s a little complicated for me because Rise is not the only attraction they’re opening. They’re opening their largest expansion ever, on both coasts, with loads of pressure to deliver. Where Hagrid is a single ride attatched to an already fully developed land. It looks to me like Hagrid’s is a comeplete home run of a ride, but a horribly botched opening. I also think though that not opening Star Wars with their biggest ride is poor. So frankly, both Uni and Disney I think botched their big attractions this summer, and Disney is trying to come out the better end of it. Both of their projects look great though.

Next month I will have the privilege of riding this, FINALLY! I feel too lazy to skim through the entire thread so I’ll ask these two questions:

1) I’m going to UO In weekdays late sep. how early should I arrive to beat at least a good chunk of the crowds?

2) I know they have lockers, but are they Rock-It and Hulk strict where they want nothing in your pockets, or is it more like FJ where you just can’t take a bag?

1) Good ole hour before park opens should be fine.

2) No bags and advise you empty pockets, no metal detectors.

It’s just funny cause I think Universal opens up attractions a bit too soon, where I feel Disney drags out opening a land to the point I begin losing excitement. I just wish we could find a middle ground haha. But in everyone’s opinion, what’s better in your mind?

Delayed ride for several months, to have it working pretty frequently with minimal or little downtime.

Or, have the ride open as soon as possible with consistent downtime’s and closures?

It’s a little complicated for me because Rise is not the only attraction they’re opening. They’re opening their largest expansion ever, on both coasts, with loads of pressure to deliver. Where Hagrid is a single ride attatched to an already fully developed land. It looks to me like Hagrid’s is a comeplete home run of a ride, but a horribly botched opening. I also think though that not opening Star Wars with their biggest ride is poor. So frankly, both Uni and Disney I think botched their big attractions this summer, and Disney is trying to come out the better end of it. Both of their projects look great though.
Personally I would go with option 1 and delay the ride/land opening until the attraction is running consistently and with little downtime. I know things can pop up but I would rather them work most of the bugs out before hand.

Personally I would go with option 1 and delay the ride/land opening until the attraction is running consistently and with little downtime. I know things can pop up but I would rather them work most of the bugs out before hand.
Yep, I’m pretty much in agreement. God I’m so excited for Rise lol. I generally book vacations a few months after opening though, always let them work out the kinks! Hoping by April that wait times aren’t too bad here.

It’s having a terrible day.

In singles about 10 away from load and the people in regular got in line at 9:15. It’s 1:25 and still in extended delay.

I’ll start with the typical “it’s a good ride” defense, but at what point are growing pains just pains? I fear that it’s never going to escape the fact that it has intrinsic load/unload/blocking problems that anyone with any hint of industrial engineering background would have spotted in the blueprint phase. Any time they try to get close to a decent hourly capacity, any load/unload hiccup is going to cascade backward into the ride.

It’s having a terrible day.

In singles about 10 away from load and the people in regular got in line at 9:15. It’s 1:25 and still in extended delay.

I’ll start with the typical “it’s a good ride” defense, but at what point are growing pains just pains? I fear that it’s never going to escape the fact that it has intrinsic load/unload/blocking problems that anyone with any hint of industrial engineering background would have spotted in the blueprint phase. Any time they try to get close to a decent hourly capacity, any load/unload hiccup is going to cascade backward into the ride.

Intamin loves to over promise and under deliver with uptime. Wouldn't surprise me if the ride goes down for seasonal maintenance in January or something to rework some things.

Intamin loves to over promise and under deliver with uptime. Wouldn't surprise me if the ride goes down for seasonal maintenance in January or something to rework some things.
Quit blaming Intamin. Universal is the second biggest theme park company in the world. The fact that they must not have a person or a team that works alongside a supplier really doesn’t cut it.

Asked about a ruby pass, was told that it was a management decision. Asked to speak to a manager to see if I could get one and the Team Member said there are no managers available. Must all be on the phone with Intamin.

Quit blaming Intamin. Universal is the second biggest theme park company in the world. The fact that they must not have a person or a team that works alongside a supplier really doesn’t cut it.

Asked about a ruby pass, was told that it was a management decision. Asked to speak to a manager to see if I could get one and the Team Member said there are no managers available. Must all be on the phone with Intamin.

I'm not sure what to tell you then (also Universal is number three behind Merlin, FYI).

They probably just need to down for one big maintenance to see if they can get to the bottom of the issue.

I'm not sure what to tell you then (also Universal is number three behind Merlin, FYI).
Fair point about Merlin, but the spirit of my statement stands haha.

This is a quest at this point - still down but I did learn that if you message Universal on social media they actually care a lot. So as jacked up as the ride itself is, they deserve credit for caring about feedback.

1) Good ole hour before park opens should be fine.

2) No bags and advise you empty pockets, no metal detectors.

Bit confused by this. Are you saying there are no metal detectors? What happens if you get there early and have a bag?

I’m doing IOA > HHN on Thur Sept 19 and really don’t want to run back to the hotel. Would rather have a backpack for the day/night.

Bit confused by this. Are you saying there are no metal detectors? What happens if you get there early and have a bag?

I’m doing IOA > HHN on Thur Sept 19 and really don’t want to run back to the hotel. Would rather have a backpack for the day/night.

No metal detectors so you can have small items (like your phone, keys etc) in your pockets.

But no bags allowed which means you'll have to leave the line temporarily to put your bag in a locker. So you'll lose some spaces in line as those without bags will go on past you.

No metal detectors so you can have small items (like your phone, keys etc) in your pockets.

But no bags allowed which means you'll have to leave the line temporarily to put your bag in a locker. So you'll lose some spaces in line as those without bags will go on past you.

To add on, hip bags are allowed as long as they are three pronged and securely fastened around the waist.