What do you shoot with? | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

What do you shoot with?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Just stuck my foot in the DSLR world and bought a Sony SLTA33L 14.2 Mp.
Waiting for it to be delivered, the local camera shop has not been able to restock.
Now the fun part the lenses, extra batteries, and bag.

Any advise on lenses, I am wanting low light for Halloween shooting and a zoom for wildlife.

Waiting for it to be delivered, the local camera shop has not been able to restock.

Any advise on lenses, I am wanting low light for Halloween shooting and a zoom for wildlife.

You need a 1.8 or 1.4 aperture lens if you want good low light pictures. There isn't a HUGE difference between the 2 and the quality of the pics, but price tag though there is a big difference, at least on Nilkon lenses.

You need a 1.8 or 1.4 aperture lens if you want good low light pictures. There isn't a HUGE difference between the 2 and the quality of the pics, but price tag though there is a big difference, at least on Nilkon lenses.

With the Sony I can also use a Minolta lense. I will be looking for awhile, 6-8 weeks, before I buy the low light lense.

Ahh very nice purchase sir! I will be looking forward to some future photo updates from not only BGT but Halloween.

Just added a AF 50mm f/1.8 lens to our arsenal, I'm hoping to get some bad ass shots this year at HHN.

Briman, I just looked through your nightime shots from HHN this past year and you're using a 1.8, do you remember what other settings you might have had set up? ISO, shutter?

Just added a AF 50mm f/1.8 lens to our arsenal, I'm hoping to get some bad ass shots this year at HHN.

Briman, I just looked through your nightime shots from HHN this past year and you're using a 1.8, do you remember what other settings you might have had set up? ISO, shutter?

Nope. :lol:

I may have to invest in a new 1.8 anyway. I accidently dropped mine, and it's been having issues.

I may have to invest in a new 1.8 anyway. I accidently dropped mine, and it's been having issues.

Dangit, I guess I"m just gonna have to play with the settings before I get them right and I won't have to use a stand

And that sucks dude, you shoot with a Canon right? I picked up my Nikon 1.8 lens directly from Nikon refubished for 99 bucks only

OH NO!!!! I was standing right there and even I felt sick to my stomach when it happened!

Has anyone taken any lessons?
I have an inquiry in now, websitequotes $175 for four two hour private lessons, which I think is decent price, waiting to find out the details and availability.
If you have taken lessons or classes what should I be on the look out for, what should be my priorities?

I'm currently in an introductory class for photography at Niagara College. I only paid $240 for almost 3 months of Saturday morning classes. The stuff we're learning is pretty basic (ISO,shutter speed, rule of thirds) but this is the prerequisite course for any other photo classes. (Which I plan on taking)

Well the cost is about what I have seen in my searches and they are private lessons, that I can have a little control over the schedule, and I have No need for college credits.

im still anti private class. get a good book and learn composition

i know a ton of "professional photographers" that will teach people that don't know anything.

here is a class in a nutshell
three things that affect your exposure are
1. ISO - the higher the number the less light you need but the greater the noise/grain
2. Aperture - the lower the number the more light you let through the lens and shallower focus. higher number has deeper focus and lets in less light
3. Shutter Speed - the lower the number the more light you let hit the sensor/film introduces camera shake & motion blur. high shutter speeds freeze motion

Does anyone have one of these or something similar to it? If so whats your thoughts and is it worth it?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Joby+-+...81564441&skuId=8293152#tabbed-customerreviews

they are great. especially if you plan on taking pictures around the park. its a lot easier to carry than a regular tripod and they go places regular tripods cant (also cant go places regular tripods can though, lack of long legs)

get the one with a bubble level or get one for your camera shoe unless you want every picture to be crooked

itll be great for night shooting in the park. or self portraits in the park.