Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Will Another Coaster Ever Be Built At Universal?

By the time we get a RMC, the concept will have lost a bit of it's luster as FunSpot seems to really like similar style wooden coasters. The new one going into their Kissimmee park reminds me of the RMC's Wicked Cyclone convert at Six Flags New England (In concept at least).

If Fun Spot's expansion is a huge success, they could easily emerge as Orlando's Six Flags. At that point, I think Fun Spot and SeaWorld will basically own the roller coaster market.

If Fun Spot's expansion is a huge success, they could easily emerge as Orlando's Six Flags. At that point, I think Fun Spot and SeaWorld will basically own the roller coaster market.
I've been thinking this for quite a bit now. The I-Drive park has a rather large expansion on the way too.

Funspot has quite a physical limit even with expansion space.
Funspot Orlando has a decent amount of space. Not a ton, but for a park like FunSpot, it's sizeable. Basically the entire parking lot/entry area is being converted to park space and it also looks like they will be using air space for a skyway type ride. A garage is being built across the street.

Just going to mention Taron at Phantasialand here. It's a thrilling ride witha 42 (?) Height requirement and is highly themed all around. Something like that, and just that type of ride would be good for the 3rd park as it's something Florida doesn't yet have.

tl;dr yes there will be another actual new coaster (no inside info just logic). But I mean Gringotts does use a coaster ride system so....

Long Explanation: Universal, for better or for worse, respond to guest feedback quickly and sharply. IOA was designed around feedback from guests wanting flat rides, water rides, and coasters. Guest approval ratings of Spider-Man and Transformers (USH and Singapore) got us Gringotts, Kong, F&F. And now guests rating things like Kong and VR lower leading to another wave of different styles of attractions. Guest feedback will create the demand for another Hulk/DC/RRR style coaster.

tl;dr yes there will be another actual new coaster (no inside info just logic). But I mean Gringotts does use a coaster ride system so....

Long Explanation: Universal, for better or for worse, respond to guest feedback quickly and sharply. IOA was designed around feedback from guests wanting flat rides, water rides, and coasters. Guest approval ratings of Spider-Man and Transformers (USH and Singapore) got us Gringotts, Kong, F&F. And now guests rating things like Kong and VR lower leading to another wave of different styles of attractions. Guest feedback will create the demand for another Hulk/DC/RRR style coaster.
Possibly, but I hear the outcry for more "robot stuff"...So who knows

I'm just glad Universal listens to us and guests

Seaworld maybe, Funspot definitely not. They still haven't outgrown their image as a tacky permanent carnival. I went there a couple years ago and had no desire to return. That trashy tourist trap is overpriced for what it is.
If SeaWorld adds 1 more big coaster, they will reign supreme in Orlando when it comes to coasters.

Just going to mention Taron at Phantasialand here. It's a thrilling ride witha 42 (?) Height requirement and is highly themed all around. Something like that, and just that type of ride would be good for the 3rd park as it's something Florida doesn't yet have.

This and Black Mamba are both awesome. I would like a coaster to power its way slowly through, say, the Forbidden Forest, and then halfway through it hits the gas to escape. A mix of dark ride and coaster. This cuts the short ride time problem (Taron is 1 1/2 minutes long) and offers a good story for a ride.

This set up is exactly the type of coaster that Universal needs. It's well themed, it can add practical elements easily and it's fast without the need for a tall drop (it's close to the ground making it feel faster as a bonus).

Theme this to the Forbidden Forest and have the trains be Ford Anglia's and you're onto a home run for a DC replacement.

tumblr_m8qugkiKuZ1rvv4n8o1_500.gif

I actually think the patent we assume is for the Donkey Kong ride could be useful to make the car transition between the "road" and "air" if they did this.

Seaworld maybe, Funspot definitely not. They still haven't outgrown their image as a tacky permanent carnival. I went there a couple years ago and had no desire to return. That trashy tourist trap is overpriced for what it is.
If SeaWorld adds 1 more big coaster, they will reign supreme in Orlando when it comes to coasters.
Fun Spot has incredibly ambitious plans. A lot of future expansion, new rides, and some theming. If they pull it all off, I think they'll be closer to SeaWorld then SeaWorld is to Disney/Universal.

Fun Spot has incredibly ambitious plans. A lot of future expansion, new rides, and some theming. If they pull it all off, I think they'll be closer to SeaWorld then SeaWorld is to Disney/Universal.

I think they have every chance of success. People have wanted a Six Flags for years in Orlando and Fun Spot have the ability to fill that void.

I really think the Orlando market is beginning to segment.

Disney/Universal focusing on the upper-end while everybody else focusing on the rest of the market.

So far the announced funspot additions while nice re not something I would consider game changing. How many coasters could they even build on the land they have? Space is a bigger constraint for coasters.

This set up is exactly the type of coaster that Universal needs. It's well themed, it can add practical elements easily and it's fast without the need for a tall drop (it's close to the ground making it feel faster as a bonus).

Theme this to the Forbidden Forest and have the trains be Ford Anglia's and you're onto a home run for a DC replacement.

tumblr_m8qugkiKuZ1rvv4n8o1_500.gif

Copycat with gif.

I don't understand the conceit that Universal wont build another coaster.. or hasn't recently.

I have suspicions things in Nintendo will be lightly themed coasters with pretty facades.