Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 125 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gah, thanks everyone! Especially for that comment, UNIrd. :)

Also, Teebin, I understand now. I was planning on continuing the detail throughout that section, but I already wrote the title in that spot, haha. Do you have any boardwalk facade pictures from buildings on the edge of the Thames?

Oh, and someone suggested the Millennium Bridge be placed in lieu of the one that's there already. I wholly agree, especially because the World Expo generally conveys that modernist theme as well, e.g. the light poles.

Actually, what I meant was place the Leaky Caldron in a deeper street. But now that I have a better sense of where you are coming from it might be overkill. As for the waterfront, I would do a knock off of Victoria Embankment. Primarily I like the victorian lamposts along the seawall sidewalk. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...sE9q8YmPSOhQc0c_QYopaw&cbp=12,106.17,,0,20.54 Turn both ways so that you can see the trees which I would use fewer of along the way.

BTW, did they use two completely different facades for the Leaky Caldron in two of the films? When I search I find two totally different entrances; a flat wall entrance and a curved door entrance.

Last edited:
Ah, true. I would have thought to do that as well, since Leaky is in a much more hidden area. But people are sadly generally ignorant, and so the facade needs to look less inconspicuous. After all, muggles are being allowed to enter. I based the facade for Leaky on that tudor-style black and white facade you posted on your stream of pics, to sort of stand out and blend in. And implied is a large "basket handle" or three-centered arch that allows for people to see there is 'more down this way, folks' - think this, but wider and with a larger sign (the rest of the facade on top of it is implied as being something else completely). And the restaurant flanks either end of the passageway to get to Diagon Alley.

Now that style is definitely very nice, especially those lamps! I'm imagining those facades along there as well, from the standing point you sent on Google Maps. To add intimacy, the space between the facades and wall would be adorned with a lot of planters (with those great trees) as well as many pubs. The more business-y end would be along the main street.

If... though I dunno, sounds pretty interesting. I'll of course wait to hear the OFFICIAL plans before passing judgment.

Main reasons for anger:

1) MORE 3D projection screens. Seriously guys? Can we just get a 100% honest to god set and robotics attractions for once? The screens are never completely convincing.

2) Not even a full-on coaster, from the sounds of it. More of a move at a brisk pace between sets. (If you can call giant screens "sets.")

3) Retreading territory. We already experienced a dragon attack and "flying" though a location with Potter & friends. This is the best they can come up with?

EDIT: Misread the page. We aren't losing Disaster! or FFL yet. So we lose JAWS (which we knew) and it's looking like Sinbad, for an identical attraction count. Still pretty lousy in my eyes.

Last edited:
Main reasons for anger:

1) MORE 3D projection screens. Seriously guys? Can we just get a 100% honest to god set and robotics attractions for once? The screens are never completely convincing.

2) Not even a full-on coaster, from the sounds of it. More of a move at a brisk pace between sets. (If you can call giant screens "sets.")

3) Retreading territory. We already experienced a dragon attack and "flying" though a location with Potter & friends. This is the best they can come up with?

EDIT: Misread the page. We aren't losing Disaster! or FFL yet. So we lose JAWS (which we knew) and it's looking like Sinbad, for an identical attraction count. Still pretty lousy in my eyes.

That's all Universal Studios is good at now a days. All their newer attractions are nothing but simulation, simulation, simulation. It gets really un-original and bland after a while.

That's all Universal Studios is good at now a days. All their newer attractions are nothing but simulation, simulation, simulation. It gets really un-original and bland after a while.
Just because transformers and kong is a simulation I don't understand how you could condemn them to only making simulation.

Disappointing. Hope to God this isn't true.
Just because transformers and kong is a simulation I don't understand how you could condemn them to only making simulation.
Name one non-simulation attraction Uni has made recently. (Besides Rockit, which had huge problems)

Last edited:
Disappointing. Hope to God this isn't true.Name one non-simulation attraction Uni has made recently. (Besides Rockit, which had huge problems)

Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit. Revenge of the Mummy. If we go a little back, MiB, Storm Force, Flying Unicorn.

Madagascar a crate adventure and all the other ride at USS. Also would you have rather them made animatronics for the flying scenes in FJ it would have looked terrible.

I think they need to integrate physical sets with the Pepper's Ghost effect seen in Disaster and in the HP queue. I feel like that's really the next level of dark rides involving "actors" but I'm surprised they're not utilizing the tech in that way.

The ride vehicles look incredible though. I just wish they would focus more on the sets but understand how screens can help expand the space with the limited room that they have.

--- Update ---

Madagascar a crate adventure and all the other ride at USS. Also would you have rather them made animatronics for the flying scenes in FJ it would have looked terrible.

Madagascar still uses a lot of screens actually.

Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit. Revenge of the Mummy. If we go a little back, MiB, Storm Force, Flying Unicorn.
Mentioned Rockit, and I wouldn't count 10 years ago as recent, but you got me with Mummy. I don't agree with Mitchiez that Uni only makes simulations, but a little more rides with solid sets and fewer with screens would be nice.
I think they need to integrate physical sets with the Pepper's Ghost effect seen in Disaster and in the HP queue. I feel like that's really the next level of dark rides involving "actors" but I'm surprised they're not utilizing the tech in that way.
YES YES YES YES YES!

I don't understand the outrage. We suspected that the ride would use roller coaster technology, then enter "domes" for motion based simulation. This actually seems much better than that option. Motion bases ON TOP of coaster tracks. It looks like a combination of Indy and Mummy, with Spider-Man. I don't know how else you would do the attraction.

Last edited:
I don't understand the outrage. We suspected that the ride would use roller coaster technology, then enter "domes" for motion based simulation. This actually seems much better than option. Motion bases ON TOP of coaster tracks. It looks like a combination of Indy and Mummy, with Spider-Man. I don't know how else you would the attraction.
Meh, I guess you're right, I really didn't expect anything better than this I guess. Also, my main disappointment lies with the fact that this expansion would take up the entire Amity/Jaws area, with no mini London area as I hoped.

Well in the past 10 years, the only additions were the ones I mentioned....

and until the Wizarding World, IoA has seen nothing since Trolley in the Sky (which I forgot to mention....:lol:)

Status
Not open for further replies.