Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 453 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well he has a point, someone from New Jersey and someone from Mississippi will have very different accents.

As with Britain, someone from Wales will have a different accent than someone from London.

Sometimes the distinction is necessary.

Do Brits use the term Cockney as an accent or do they have another term for it. I have always thought of a Cockney accent being similar to a deep Tennessee accent in its implication. :look:

A yorkshire accent is a british accent!!!! It annoys me... that's like saying I'm being trained in an New York and an American accent

Different dialects. Yorkshire has some Scottish sound to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Do Brits use the term Cockney as an accent or do they have another term for it. I have always thought of a Cockney accent being similar to a deep Tennessee accent in its implication. :look:

Yes, cockney is an accent.

A yorkshire accent is a british accent!!!! It annoys me... that's like saying I'm being trained in an New York and an American accent

But you would need to be trained in a New York accent and an American accent if you were playing a part that required you to have both. Because New Yorkers have a way different accent than someone from Boston or Texas. So if the part was someone moving away from New York for many years you will lose some of your New York accent, BUT when you come back I bet you that it would be much stronger when around other New Yorkers. So if you were from the UK, you would have to learn both. So not sure why that comment would annoy you.

Because it's like they're saying that there is a singular "British" accent... There isn't a singular British accent. There are many, many very different accents sometimes varying from town to town within counties.

I have a BRITISH accent, as I am from Great Britain, but my accent is a mixture of Liverpool, Cheshire and Welsh as I am from the Wirral. I sound VERY different from someone from "the south" and even to someone from Manchester or Leeds, or Bolton, or Oxford, or London ( I could go on) - totally different pronunciation and even rhythm in how we talk.
The accent that is generally considered "British" is more akin to received pronunciation or "Standard Southern English"

I'm KNOW that within America there are more than Just "New York" and American accents as someone from Alabama is going to have a TOTALLY different accent to someone from Virginia, or Boston, or California. I was using "New York" as an example of how you shouldn't just say that one dialect is seperate from an entire country of different accents and dialects under one "umbrella"

Sorry, it just annoys me when someone says "I can do a British accent" and starts spouting in some kind of Dick Van Dyke-esque cockney accent. If they the OP had said a "generic" British accent then I would have not been as annoyed.

I hope I've explained myself a little bit more as it just bugs me when people think everyone from GB talks like Harry Potter, the Queen or Bert!!

But you would need to be trained in a New York accent and an American accent if you were playing a part that required you to have both. Because New Yorkers have a way different accent than someone from Boston or Texas. So if the part was someone moving away from New York for many years you will lose some of your New York accent, BUT when you come back I bet you that it would be much stronger when around other New Yorkers. So if you were from the UK, you would have to learn both. So not sure why that comment would annoy you.

Hell, even the boroughs of NYC have different accents...

What end of London is it that has the more lower/middle class accent?

I have learned of 'standard american', 'standard stage' and everything beyond that was a very specific dialect that needed to be studied by regional training. Back in the 20's, 30's and 40's there was an accent call 'international english'. Think FDR, Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant... It is pretty much unused by society, but is very similar to 'standard stage'. Most today would call it 'pretentious american'.

While on holiday (vacation) in England, we experienced a multitude of different accents. Towns only a few miles from each other often had a very pronounced difference in accents. In London, it seemed like every small neighborhood had their own. England may be a small country geographically, but the number of accents that are very different from one another probably exceeds the US. And then there's the Scots. We usually couldn't understand a word they were saying. May as well have been speaking French.

And then there's the Scots. We usually couldn't understand a word they were saying. May as well have been speaking French.

Yeah, it can be blinding to an American in America until they (the Scot) learn to slow down and over pronounce. Usually takes a few months visiting said country. A neighbor in FL from Yorkshire... I asked her what kind of dog she had, and she said "a booteahrrreaaah" and I looked at her like a broken glass window and said, "excuse me, what?".

I was just letting my mind run wild and thought... (Pardon if I've missed this discussion) I believe I've read that Gringott's will involve kuka tech and employ a new type of vehicle transitioning. What is the possibility of a ride vehicle rolling onto a platform that moves it through part of the ride on a kuka arm? Or have I gone round the bend...

I was just letting my mind run wild and thought... (Pardon if I've missed this discussion) I believe I've read that Gringott's will involve kuka tech and employ a new type of vehicle transitioning. What is the possibility of a ride vehicle rolling onto a platform that moves it through part of the ride on a kuka arm? Or have I gone round the bend...
Possible...I see more the coaster car being attached to an arm so it can lift it up into scenes and such

Are we really still talking about pronunciation..

Yeah... ain't nothin else going on... except abstract steel going up in hyper zoomed pics. We have a LIM controlled coaster going into the big building. Diagon will look like an outdoor/bigger version of the WB tour Leavesden. It is fall off your palm boring in that they will over-recreate the movie scenes to look hyper real. It is a bit of a sleeper.

What do we not know: We don't know if St. Pancras will have a place in the London design. We don't know if the HE train will be a worthy attraction. We don't know if the Gringotts attraction will be worthy. The only BIG thing that is not known is where the rumored Borgin and Burkes might reside or what it might amount to.

Therefore, we talk about English accents...

Yeah, it can be blinding to an American in America until they (the Scot) learn to slow down and over pronounce. Usually takes a few months visiting said country. A neighbor in FL from Yorkshire... I asked her what kind of dog she had, and she said "a booteahrrreaaah" and I looked at her like a broken glass window and said, "excuse me, what?".

Perfect excuse to post this video of Amy Macdonald on Top Gear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEEmi0wEtoY&feature=share

I'm a new member on this site, you guys are very reliable in your information. But I believe that the entrance to Diagon Alley is going to be a heavy projector that we enter through.

Perfect excuse to post this video of Amy Macdonald on Top Gear:

Yeah... that is it... but I think she was correcting for television in that vid as I could understand her. It took me three queeries to figure out what "booteahrrreaaah" meant.

So, true brits on here... tell us what the accents were in the films; how you would classify them. Hagrid to Potter. Just the lead characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.