Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Test Track 2.0

JungleSkip

Premium Member
Feb 15, 2010
The Mushroom Kingdom
Source

Latest from the rumor mill: General Motors is ready to ink a deal to sponsor their Epcot pavilion for a further 10 years until 2022. As part of the deal the Test Track attraction would essentially be gutted, leaving only the ride path and vehicles chassis in place.Other areas of the pavilion would also be completely redone as they were during the transition from World of Motion to Test Track.

The new ride-thru attraction that Disney is in talks with GM to fund would involve new vehicle bodies for the Test Track vehicles designed not by Imagineering but rather GM’s own design, research, and development unit. Upgraded interiors and new electronics and show elements (screens, etc..) would be the fruit of this collaboration. For the ride scenes the pavilion would become a sort of hybrid version of the original World of Motion and the current Test Track attraction, detailing vehicle design, production, fabrication, and testing with a nod toward its history and the future. Apparently currently iterations of the design have a distinctly forward-looking emphasis with grand splashes of futurism to boot.

Final details are being worked out between the companies before any formal announcement is going to be made. This information is subject to change. Two timelines for a possible closure of the attraction have been discussed, starting in either January or April.

Sounds like a great idea to me. Test Track is a cold, unimaginative bore save for the end.

Oh its not that bad, they really had to do some cuts due to the ride system just being a punk for two years :lol: Although I still would love to see an update it just makes me wonder if Test Track is an attraction that really needs an update when the Wonders of Life sits there, Ellen nuff said, and the Imagination Pavilion is tore up from the floor up. Not to mention recent Epcot updates are not necessarily amazing ie Mexico boat ride, Spaceship Earth, and Dreamfinder. I mean if GM sponsored it Disney would still have to put up some of the cost to the ride system and components.

I'm conflicted a little bit. On the one hand, I like the NOT unimaginative story we have already, but on the other hand this sounds so, so good.

Oh its not that bad, they really had to do some cuts due to the ride system just being a punk for two years :lol:

It's pretty bad.:lol:

Although I still would love to see an update it just makes me wonder if Test Track is an attraction that really needs an update when the Wonders of Life sits there, Ellen nuff said, and the Imagination Pavilion is tore up from the floor up. Not to mention recent Epcot updates are not necessarily amazing ie Mexico boat ride, Spaceship Earth, and Dreamfinder. I mean if GM sponsored it Disney would still have to put up some of the cost to the ride system and components.

You answered your own question. GM will foot the vast majority of the bill here. And the ride system won't change. It'll still be Test Track, but with actual scenes, not vast stretches of emptiness.

As for the Epcot changes not being great, I think Gran Fiesta is decent, Spaceship Earth got some terrific upgrades as well as down grades, and Imagination is Imagination. That happened over a decade ago. But anything that can be done to make Test Track remotely interesting is good for me.

I'm conflicted a little bit. On the one hand, I like the NOT unimaginative story we have already, but on the other hand this sounds so, so good.

How is riding a car through a testing plant even remotely imaginative? Especially compared to the terrific AAs and humor that was World of Motion.

Last edited:
I still don't exactly understand how Test Track and World of Motion can be combined. I guess, you slowly creep through the past, then blaze through the future on the runways? From what I can gather the time of World of Motion and Horizons was the best years of WDW, so I'd happily embrace this change, but I still don't understand what GM's getting at :shrug:

I still don't exactly understand how Test Track and World of Motion can be combined. I guess, you slowly creep through the past, then blaze through the future on the runways? From what I can gather the time of World of Motion and Horizons was the best years of WDW, so I'd happily embrace this change, but I still don't understand what GM's getting at :shrug:

The inside will detail vehicle design, production, fabrication, and testing with a nod toward its history and the future, as it says in the source. I'd imagine the outside/fast portion will remain as is.

The best thing about this is that GM is going to keep sponsoring the pavilion. That's what allowed Epcot to be great. We all know Disney plays better with other people's money. And I really like the idea of the World of Motion/Test Track hybrid. They're both really good, but they both also have their faults. And I think that Test Track is only "cold, unimaginative, and a bore" after several rides. It doesn't have a lot of re-ride ability. A better story and better effects will certainly change that.

I've been hearing about the rumored Test Track overhaul for a few weeks now but there still isn't a whole lot of solid data behind it. Just a lot of speculation. I rode Test Track for the first time back in April and absolutly loved it. Given the fact that I still havn't been to half the parks in the Orlando area but I can honestly say that Test Track is one of my favorite attractions around.

I was also under the impression that new ride vehicles were already being tested and used on Test Track. These photos were posted on a Twitter account a couple weeks ago:

attachment.php

attachment.php

One thing I know for sure is my wife would be upset if Test Track closes in January or April for the remodel. It seems to be the attraction she never can catch a break with. When she visited WDW with her family in 1998 the ride was experianceing its delays pushing back the opening date. Then when we went in April she was pregnant so once again she couldn't ride. Now it looks like it might be closed again when we return this spring.

Of course I welcome any updates but I think Test Track is one of the best attractions in Epcot currently as is and it's probably the LEAST in need of a major re-boot of probably all the rides and pavilions in the park. :lol:

I think its just a repaint as well. I didn't even realize when I rode on Monday and was 1 vehicle behind this. I only thought it was GM making the make of the vehicles more obvious with the Chevy logo.

Of course I welcome any updates but I think Test Track is one of the best attractions in Epcot currently as is and it's probably the LEAST in need of a major re-boot of probably all the rides and pavilions in the park. :lol:

I completely agree and I think Mr. Jungleskip is just being unreasonably biased (as he tends to be toward most things Disney). It isn't "a cold, unimaginative bore save for the end." It's a fun look into what goes into car-testing. Epcot is about learning, not in-your-face thrill rides. Yea, only the ending is fast, big woop. If that's all you want out of a ride than one should know better than to go to Epcot. Test Track is great for what it is and almost always has a decently filled queue. Why the rush to reburb this when there are other parts in desperate need for a redress (looking at you, Figment).

I completely agree and I think Mr. Jungleskip is just being unreasonably biased (as he tends to be toward most things Disney). It isn't "a cold, unimaginative bore save for the end." It's a fun look into what goes into car-testing. Epcot is about learning, not in-your-face thrill rides. Yea, only the ending is fast, big woop. If that's all you want out of a ride than one should know better than to go to Epcot. Test Track is great for what it is and almost always has a decently filled queue. Why the rush to reburb this when there are other parts in desperate need for a redress (looking at you, Figment).

While I agree with you about the quality of the ride, you need to realize Disney isn't pushing this deal through. GM is. And if GM wants to give Disney more money, they damn well better take it. And if this works out well, it could encourage sponsors to return to the rest of Future World.

While I agree with you about the quality of the ride, you need to realize Disney isn't pushing this deal through. GM is. And if GM wants to give Disney more money, they damn well better take it. And if this works out well, it could encourage sponsors to return to the rest of Future World.

Figment misses Kodac :'(

Personally, Test Track is a complete bore until the end, c'mon the hill maneuvers at "55 mph"

I think Disney does better when it tells a story and makes you part of the story, not part of the car testing, I also wish they could somehow increase capacity of the ride since the line is always horrible.

But I would rather them tear down the Wonders of Life Pavillion and do something with that first before they do anything else in the park. ALSO they need to put something in the empty Odyssey restaurant that is just sitting there empty, and also finally install a ride in Germany in that giant show building behind it.