Secret Life of Pets attraction coming? (USH) | Page 65 | Inside Universal Forums

Secret Life of Pets attraction coming? (USH)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked some similar recent movies to show it was doing well. Between long term numbers and overseas there is no way to know which movie will more box office. I personally don't care.

This thread is about getting SLoP dark rides built. All I'm trying to show is that the movie is doing well enough to green light it in Orlando.

Yes, but my point is that what is true now was true six days prior. Box office works on "legs", which is its lifetime in its first wide release. Mathematically for about 90% of films they follow a general trend, which means there is a finite point of time of which something is guaranteed. So because SLoP debuted higher than these films in different conditions, they are poor comparisons to track with.

The best ones are Despicable Me films and Minions, which all debuted in similar timeframes with similar results. For example: SLoP is projected to have a better drop than Minions last year, significantly so. (50% rather than 57%), that is a great sign that SLoP may end up outgrossing Minions. However, Ice Age 5 is coming up as well as Pete's Dragon, whereas Minions faced very little competition. So where this comes into what we are discussing is that Universal is tracking SLoP in comparison with Minions most likely as that will give them a better understanding of what to view ahead. So IO and Zoo are useless to compare because they don't matter right now. Minions does.

It doesn't matter if the ride is greenlit. What matters is the budget. An increase in box office to where it potentially does better than Zootopia will push Comcast to put money into the ride as it will get a better return in investment rather than just making 300 mil.

I mean look how much money Comcast put in the Fast and Furious "ride" even though $353,007,020 domestic gross. While wasn't there rumours that China where it made even more moola was getting a test track style ride.

Supercharged had nothing to do with budget. It was decisions started by the snowball that was Kong 360.

F&F franchise is a goldmine for Universal, so I highly doubt box office factored into why F&F is the way it is, but more of why it exists in the first place.

SLoP did better than Uni and Comcast's expectations already. Everything else is gravy.

At USH has actual construction begun or are they still just clearing land? Has anyone noticed survey markers at Toom Lagoon around the theater?

The land has been cleared at USH for over a year, clean as a whistle. There has been some delay in engineering the building plans/ride system from what I can tell. That is just a guess on my part. Perhaps the company waited to see movie results?

Reactions: Mike S
The land has been cleared at USH for over a year, clean as a whistle. There has been some delay in engineering the building plans/ride system from what I can tell. That is just a guess on my part. Perhaps the company waited to see movie results?
It has been mentioned that the execs were waiting on the first weekend box office before giving the complete green light. I wonder what would have done in that space if it had not gotten the green light.

The other big question is do we have to wait a year before work begins in Orlando or they'll get started faster due to the success of movie.

Groundbreaking started the week prior to release, however when soundstage 28 was destroyed, they put in all the facilities/necessities such as plumbing, foundation, etc. in place and paved over it. So that should speed things up.

From what I'm aware, the theme park did this as a measure to help during construction for HHN that year (since they gained access to it from the studio in 2015) and killed two birds with one stone. Construction was going to start in early 2016, then got pushed back. I'm guessing cold feet like you are, Teebs. (it had been greenlit as a project, but the VERSION had yet to be greenlit til the OW results ;))

But now they are back on track.

SLoP has reportly made 50 million dollar's domestically, taking the number one spot once again.

Overall so-far, it has made 253 million dollars; including both the Domestic and Foreign box office.

I'm a little baffled at its success as I didn't think the film was that great. Shallow characters, little heart, humor being forced in too much, pushing out any emotion attempted to be put in there; it's okay at best. I may not be the target audience, but people apparently like it. We are going to have a nice ride out of this so I'm not complaining.

I'm a little baffled at its success as I didn't think the film was that great. Shallow characters, little heart, humor being forced in too much, pushing out any emotion attempted to be put in there; it's okay at best. I may not be the target audience, but people apparently like it. We are going to have a nice ride out of this so I'm not complaining.
The name and subject get people interested. As long as the movie is decently entertaining it does well.

I'm a little baffled at its success as I didn't think the film was that great.

When it comes to animated films (or most films in general), it doesn't need to be great to make a lot at the box office. With Illumination, you can say they run things like this. "Marketing first, everything else second." They hooked everyone with that trailer of nothing but sight gags, and heavily marketed things so everyone knew that it was coming, and when it was coming out.

Another factor is Illumination makes easy to digest popcorn flicks, quick, easy and if the kids really like it then they might have their parents take them to see it again. Add that to the marketing blitz, and you got something that'll make a nice bank even though it's only decent at best.

I know that also kinda' says something about the general public being easily amused, but how else do you explain something as cruddy as the past two Ice Age films making over $870 million dollars each?! (As well as being the highest grossing animated films of their respective years.)

I know that also kinda' says something about the general public being easily amused, but how else do you explain something as cruddy as the past two Ice Age films making over $870 million dollars each?! (As well as being the highest grossing animated films of their respective years.)
Truth. Looking at the box office numbers this weekend, with Pets #1 and GB #2, I can't help but feel like Soliaire at the end of Amedaus claiming that mediocrity is everywhere.

I saw the movie last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't go in expecting this movie to be a game changer, just a silly movie about talking pets and I loved it. I don't see what's hard to get about this movie doing well in the BO.

In hindsight, this was a no brainer in that the pets business in the US is billions of dollars. Even this tiny sea side town has a shop right in the most expensive retail space that sells only pet toys and pet bling.

Sounds like the town in ME my girlfriend is from.. Kennebunkport

Reactions: Mike S and Mad Dog
We saw it last night, and really liked it. The part with the snake (not giving anything away) was hysterical.... great timing :)

I saw it this weekend. Had 4 hours to kill between prelims and finals, figured why not. I liked it a lot more than I expected. I can see it will make a great ride for kids. Some sort of a wild ride, the ole something goes horribly wrong scenario.

Reactions: Mike S and Joel
When it comes to animated films (or most films in general), it doesn't need to be great to make a lot at the box office. With Illumination, you can say they run things like this. "Marketing first, everything else second." They hooked everyone with that trailer of nothing but sight gags, and heavily marketed things so everyone knew that it was coming, and when it was coming out.

Another factor is Illumination makes easy to digest popcorn flicks, quick, easy and if the kids really like it then they might have their parents take them to see it again. Add that to the marketing blitz, and you got something that'll make a nice bank even though it's only decent at best.

When my kids were little this type of movie was exactly what I looked for to get them their theater experience. Something short sweet and easy. Things don't have to be complicated to amuse children. It isn't about great movie making, but more about creating something that children will enjoy, and parents can stand sitting through.

Reactions: IzzyB
When my kids were little this type of movie was exactly what I looked for to get them their theater experience. Something short sweet and easy. Things don't have to be complicated to amuse children. It isn't about great movie making, but more about creating something that children will enjoy, and parents can stand sitting through.

Exactly, I don't have any kids (only puppies) but I can see the need for movies that don't make parents go crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.