Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

"Is anyone awake?" The Universal Social Media Thread

I'd call this pretty tame if they had been hacked.
Yeah, that's unfortunately why I think it's more some guy letting things go to his head or Universal just not caring and basically saying to the people running the account "Do whatever you need to to get likes and retweets".

Yeah, that's unfortunately why I think it's more some guy letting things go to his head or Universal just not caring and basically saying to the people running the account "Do whatever you need to to get likes and retweets".

It fits the brand. Remember, their mantra is captured in Horror & Make-Up: "This isn't Disney, kid, we don't have to be nice to you." I have it on good authority the social media guy is a Bill & Ted alum, and the account certainly shares the comic sensibilities of that show.

A tiny fraction of Twitter users are going to that account for information on their upcoming trip. Posting puff pieces like, say, the Disney Springs account just makes you look like a corporate tool. Do we really need nothing more than the park hours every morning? But engaging your audience, that builds your brand and loyalty to it, makes sure they won't tune you out in the future--say, in a week when you announce a couple Mardi Gras headliners.

In other words, this guy "gets" social media better than Dr. Blondie with her PhD in the subject.

I think they are doing Twitter right. Twitter seems to be the less mature more juvenile of all the social media platforms. It's all about gifs, memes and whatever the hip and cool word/phrase of the week is.

Ok, casual ignorance I suppose but what's the big deal with the Shrek and Fiona pictures? I'm not understanding the "uproar".

I think the quote attached to Shrek was said about the Joker and Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad. Suicide Squad is a DC movie and Universal have the theme park rights to Marvel.

I might be reading into that too much, I don't know but that's what I took away from it.

It fits the brand. Remember, their mantra is captured in Horror & Make-Up: "This isn't Disney, kid, we don't have to be nice to you." I have it on good authority the social media guy is a Bill & Ted alum, and the account certainly shares the comic sensibilities of that show.

A tiny fraction of Twitter users are going to that account for information on their upcoming trip. Posting puff pieces like, say, the Disney Springs account just makes you look like a corporate tool. Do we really need nothing more than the park hours every morning? But engaging your audience, that builds your brand and loyalty to it, makes sure they won't tune you out in the future--say, in a week when you announce a couple Mardi Gras headliners.

In other words, this guy "gets" social media better than Dr. Blondie with her PhD in the subject.
I agree that I love the interaction they provide, however there comes a point where professionalism should come into play as well, especially when you are representing something as big as UOR.

Ok, casual ignorance I suppose but what's the big deal with the Shrek and Fiona pictures? I'm not understanding the "uproar".
I'm still trying to figure that out myself. They've posted a lot of questionable things, but that really wasn't anything crazy, yet they seem to get a bunch of responses that are like "ZOMG YOU'VE RUINED EVERYTHING"

This is the post in question:

I think the quote attached to Shrek was said about the Joker and Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad. Suicide Squad is a DC movie and Universal have the theme park rights to Marvel.

I might be reading into that too much, I don't know but that's what I took away from it.

This was my take on it.

This is the post in question:

This was my take on it.

Thanks, Scott! That makes a little more sense. I see the benefit in how this person was posting in that it garnered a lot of attention. However, it's risky business creating an online aura of "foolishness" for a major corporation. I don't know. it's a tricky line.

As someone who uses Twitter a lot, I have become familiar with the memes. Shrek has always been a film that's ironically loved by people of the internet, and it's become a meme. Take the 'shrek is love, shrek is life' mock videos as an example.

The other meme is the Harley Quinn/Joker quote. I don't know how this became popular, but this has been commonly used for 'strange couples' since the movie last year. For example:

So basically what I'm trying to say is that whoever posted this tweet - Universal employee or not - knows their memes.