Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Voodoo Doughnut (UOR)

I got to try this place out during my trip. I always try the glazed doughnut, it was so good. I had a few others too but glazed is my favorite.

giphy.gif

I was actually not too happy about my overall experience here.

We went last Saturday at around 4pm. The line was 30 minutes, in the shade, but still quite long for only one doughnut. We got up to the counter and were helped by someone who was clearly a manager (was wearing fancy, button-down clothes, not the voodoo doughnut outfit). We asked for a Portland Cream and we were given a very terse "we are out" answer. No apologies, or recommendations for other doughnuts. He just stared at us annoyingly while we tried to decide on another doughnut.

We got the Captain My Captain, which was pretty good, but it was hard to enjoy after receiving that level of customer service which caused us to not return for the rest of our trip.

Anyways, just wanted to put this out here to keep expectations level for this place and recommend that you get there earlier if you want some of the more popular doughnuts.

I was actually not too happy about my overall experience here.

We went last Saturday at around 4pm. The line was 30 minutes, in the shade, but still quite long for only one doughnut. We got up to the counter and were helped by someone who was clearly a manager (was wearing fancy, button-down clothes, not the voodoo doughnut outfit). We asked for a Portland Cream and we were given a very terse "we are out" answer. No apologies, or recommendations for other doughnuts. He just stared at us annoyingly while we tried to decide on another doughnut.

We got the Captain My Captain, which was pretty good, but it was hard to enjoy after receiving that level of customer service which caused us to not return for the rest of our trip.

Anyways, just wanted to put this out here to keep expectations level for this place and recommend that you get there earlier if you want some of the more popular doughnuts.
I kind of had a similar experience. The first time I waited in a long line, they kept coming out and saying what they were out of. I wanted a plain glazed and they never mentioned being out of them so I didn't consider any other options. I got to the counter and got pretty much the same response as you although they did make some recommendations. Then multiple other visits the line was just too long to wait for a chance at getting the donut I wanted.

Incidentally though yesterday I happened to go by, there was a short wait and finally got my regular glazed donut. It was really great! To me not quite as good as Lard Lad, but better than Krispy Kreme. It's amazing how much better their donuts are when they're not coated in an overly think layer of icing. There's actually a decent donut under all that sugar. This will definitely be my go to cheap snack at UO at only $1.50 as long as the line isn't long.

I had bad timing on my choice. I wanted a Maple bar but they were out. Made other selections paid and walked away from the counter. Just as I'm walking away and comes a tray of maple bars.

maple-bar-yeast-doughnut-side-400x400.jpg

I had bad timing on my choice. I wanted a Maple bar but they were out. Made other selections paid and walked away from the counter. Just as I'm walking away and comes a tray of maple bars.

maple-bar-yeast-doughnut-side-400x400.jpg
That's EXACTLY what happened the first time I tried to get a glazed. I was so annoyed.

Derek has a write up of how it works on his Saturday Six article

6 Reasons We Love VOODOO DOUGHNUTS - TouringPlans.com
Before I saw this I did a search of the Google App Store, the Voodoo Donuts website and universals website. There is no online ordering or an app. The article tells us that it can only be done via phone call email or text. They found text to be the easiest. Drawback is the minimum is a dozen donuts.

Last time I was Universal there was no one around the Voodoo throne so we thought we'd do a quick picture. It was raining pretty good. Turns out the Throne does not have a drain and a large pool of water was in the seat. Someone needs to go out there with a drill and fix that.

What are the wait times like these days in the morning? We will probably be hitting it up around 9-10am most days of our trip for a late breakfast.

I personally think they are too over the top sweet, but my wife LOVES them and must have one every time we go to Portland. It has been three years since we have been to UO and I think this is what she is most excited for...:doh:

I know the one time I went, I wasn't all that impressed. Got the "Dirt" (Oreo, with white frosting) donut. I was impressed that it was not super expensive - I mean, expensive for a single donut, but not outrageous, but it was just a donut to me. Maybe some of the flavors are all that and a bag of chips, but what I got just wasn't for me.

I know the one time I went, I wasn't all that impressed. Got the "Dirt" (Oreo, with white frosting) donut. I was impressed that it was not super expensive - I mean, expensive for a single donut, but not outrageous, but it was just a donut to me. Maybe some of the flavors are all that and a bag of chips, but what I got just wasn't for me.
I'm a biiig fan of their Boston cream and their pride bar, and of course any place that puts a pentacle on a chocolate donut get my vote.