What's new
Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Tower of Terror

Tower is basically a Disney icon along with the likes of Splash, Small World, Thunder and Pirates - at least on the Eastern coast. Retheming it would be a huge mistake, and I'd hope that they know that. The theming of RnR is a bit more pliable - as much as I enjoy it in its current form.
Disney is the smartest dumb company in the world. They have made some questionable mistakes in the past. I don’t trust them when it comes to Tower. Why? Because it’s a 3rd party IP attraction.

So now that galaxies edge is open I wanted to ask all of you a few questions. From my understanding TOT and RnR are the only 3rd party IP rides in WDW. We know these attractions don’t line up with modern Disney. Disney wants Disney rides that promote Disney movies and nothing else. If Disney had the Marvel rides this land would of been replaced years ago. I could already see it. RnR becomes an Iron Man attraction and TOT becomes avengers Tower. But, as of now that can’t happen because of Uni. There have been rumors of Disney building a Monster Inc land. Do you think this rumor still holds water? They have the space to build it next to TSL and above RnR. How long does Sunset Boulevard really have? I know Disney has a bunch of projects on there table. But, this section just seems out of place with the current Disney mindset(sadly). I’ve never cared for RnR but losing TOT would be a great loss for this park. It’s DHS version of the Haunted Mansion. Would you guys be in favor for a Doctor Strange retheme? Let me know below.

It's not the time.

This park needs expansion. Changing the theme of Tower, RnRC, Star Tours achieves nothing. The queues are big as it stands...unbearably so. It’s 5 or 6 rides short of being acceptable.

They’re not even done with a $1 billion additional that’s going to add a (hopefully) world class ride to a new land that just opened. Runaway Railway is opening within a year and Epcot is getting a major facelift. I think that the major expansions for this park are going to hold off for now.

That being said, I love Tower of Terror and I truly believe it’s become iconic for what imagineering can do with location based story telling. I hope that Mission Breakout doesn’t come to the park despite it being a fun ride.

They’re not even done with a $1 billion additional that’s going to add a (hopefully) world class ride to a new land that just opened. Runaway Railway is opening within a year and Epcot is getting a major facelift. I think that the major expansions for this park are going to hold off for now.

That being said, I love Tower of Terror and I truly believe it’s become iconic for what imagineering can do with location based story telling. I hope that Mission Breakout doesn’t come to the park despite it being a fun ride.
I don’t think Tower of Terror is safe. BUT I think it’s safe from a guardians overlay. Having a guardians overlay will I think hurt Epcot.

I don’t disagree that they’ve spent a lot, but they let this park rot for 2 decades. This cash injection, although welcome, didn’t go far enough for what the park actually needs.

Maybe if they’d added a few more flats to TSL (which to me was inexplicable given their relative cheap price point), a third ride to Star Wars and allowed the budget to stretch to refresh all shows, then my opinion would be different.

A third Land was rumoured for the initial re-do, they settled on 2.

It feels like they feel like they’ve done enough, rather than knocking it out of the park.

Where-as Tower of Terror wasn't an icon for DCA, it is here. And it's prodominently featured in a lot of marketing material, as it's more often than not the first thing seen from the distance of the parking.

I see if it ever loses the Twilight Zone branding, it being converted to an original theme; and not that of re-branding it to a new IP. And I do think out of the two, RnRC is going to go far before Tower.

Where-as Tower of Terror wasn't an icon for DCA, it is here. And it's prodominently featured in a lot of marketing material, as it's more often than not the first thing seen from the distance of the parking.

I see if it ever loses the Twilight Zone branding, it being converted to an original theme; and not that of re-branding it to a new IP. And I do think out of the two, RnRC is going to go far before Tower.
I would definitely agree that Disney will most likely drop the twilight zone connection. Disney has shown that there not totally against attractions without a specific IP. The space restaurant at Epcot proves that they intend to keep Mission Space(which is a good thing).

I would definitely agree that Disney will most likely drop the twilight zone connection. Disney has shown that there not totally against attractions without a specific IP. The space restaurant at Epcot proves that they intend to keep Mission Space(which is a good thing).

I don’t think this is remotely comparable.

Tower of Terror is an icon and a fan favourite, easily in the top 5 of all disney fans.

Mission Space was made 15 years ago before every ride needed an IP and restaurants don’t need to have an IP, just a gimmick and even then, it’s Epcot, it’s filled to the brim with restaurants.

If ROTR brings the expected crowds, DHS can’t afford any downtime for one of its biggest attractions.

I don’t think this is remotely comparable.

Tower of Terror is an icon and a fan favourite, easily in the top 5 of all disney fans.

Mission Space was made 15 years ago before every ride needed an IP and restaurants don’t need to have an IP, just a gimmick and even then, it’s Epcot, it’s filled to the brim with restaurants.

If ROTR brings the expected crowds, DHS can’t afford any downtime for one of its biggest attractions.
Not to be that guy but Mission: Space is based on an IP. Mission to Mars(film). So your point is invalid.

Just so you’re not confused. I am 100% against changing TOT. But, like I said I don’t trust Disney. Disney wants all the money. They don’t like having to deal with 3rd parties. This is evident with the Sony, Spiderman debacle. Besides I don’t think removing the twilight zone theme would hurt the Tower that much.

He was also in Apollo 13 and Forrest Gump, doesn't matter.
Mission to Mars is a Disney film. The ride is based on it. Therefore it’s not an original attraction. It’s based on an IP. End of story.

This is getting off topic. Moving on.

Tower of Tower will probably be safe for the next 10 years. Disney still needs to focus on adding a few more attractions to this park in my opinion.

Mission to Mars is a Disney film. The ride is based on it. Therefore it’s not an original attraction. It’s based on an IP. End of story.

Tower of Tower will probably be safe for the next 10 years. Disney still needs to focus on adding a few more attractions to this park in my opinion.

It's not.

Mission to Mars (The movie) was based loosely off the ride at DL and MK.

The ride, Mission Space is not the same as Mission to Mars. Notice the different name?

That would be like basing a ride off the Jungle Cruise movie and saying it's based on the movie. Mission Space references the original ride, not the movie. Gary Sinise is just a coincidence.

Mission:Space, is no way or means connected to that film.

I do think though, if Disney keeps the Twilight Zone branding..to perhaps look at Paris, as they just got renovations to their Tower of Terror, with new content added to that.

It's not.

Mission to Mars (The movie) was based loosely off the ride at DL and MK.

The ride, Mission Space is not the same as Mission to Mars. Notice the different name?

That would be like basing a ride off the Jungle Cruise movie and saying it's based on the movie. Mission Space references the original ride, not the movie. Gary Sinise is just a coincidence.
Wikipedia says that the theme is Mission to Mars...

It's clear that Mission: Space is not directly themed to MISSION TO MARS, the film. Sinise is not supposed to be the same character, for example.

I think it's also clear that there is some degree of intentional overlap between the ride and the movie. Props, basic storyline, the presence of Sinise (even as a different character).

"Inspired by" rather than "themed to" is a fair distinction, I'd say.