Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Pokemon is werid

Its an Anime and that is partly why the thing got big but the Games (including Pokemon Go) and Cards seem to be the biggest things keeping Pokemon alive

Like Pokemon had these cute card packs for Halloween to give out instead of Candy within 5 hours they were sold out on Amazon....if somehow Universal could get some exclusive cards made (maybe using backdrops from Universal movies) then I'm sure those would be hugeeeeeeeee and sell out in mins

Pokemon sells merch like hot cakes. So if we're look at that, definitely profitable. A lot of people are into Pokemon but I think its in the way that people love collecting things.
A lot of the Pokemon are cute and work well as plush, candy, and things of the like. In US, I don't think long-term that an Anime event would continue to be profitable.
I have no doubt that Hollywood could work well with a couple food offerings, meet and greets, and maybe 1 walkthrough experience, and a small "roadshow".

Just like anime movies make a killing initially, sure they drop off after a while but it's honestly not like your average Horror Movie makes too much more with all-time earnings and we still see some of those represented at Horror Nights.
For example, Dragon Ball: Battle of Gods made around $51.2 in total earnings, worldwide. For comparision Insidious 2 made around $161m, This is The End made $50m but both were featured at HHN

Pokemon transcends most anime properties and has mainstream appeal across a wide variety of demographics. I don't think anyone is disputing that Pokemon would do great in a Universal park - though, as Joe has pointed out, the rights are more complicated, as Nintendo does not have sole control.

As for the continued claims that more niche anime properties somehow justify park inclusion or festivals in the U.S.... the data just doesn't support it. Bringing This Is the End to HHN was largely considered a baffling decision and a misfire, so I'm not sure it supports your argument. The Insidious movies have all been wildly profitable and are tailor made for HHN experiences. With that said, there's a reason they aren't looked at for permanent attractions or even temporary daytime fixtures. The mass appeal just is not there - and the same is true for 99% of anime properties, which consistently make even less.

While I agree some anime would not work so well

I think having a Dragonball event at the parks would be HUGE. If when they next film came out you could do meet and greets, food and some photo ops even. I think it would go over well and let Universal see people have some real interest in having more anime events.
My Hero and Domon Slayer, and One Piece as well.

Pokemon transcends most anime properties and has mainstream appeal across a wide variety of demographics. I don't think anyone is disputing that Pokemon would do great in a Universal park - though, as Joe has pointed out, the rights are more complicated, as Nintendo does not have sole control.

As for the continued claims that more niche anime properties somehow justify park inclusion or festivals in the U.S.... the data just doesn't support it. Bringing This Is the End to HHN was largely considered a baffling decision and a misfire, so I'm not sure it supports your argument. The Insidious movies have all been wildly profitable and are tailor made for HHN experiences. With that said, there's a reason they aren't looked at for permanent attractions or even temporary daytime fixtures. The mass appeal just is not there - and the same is true for 99% of anime properties, which consistently make even less.

I think it largely depends on timing and the properties. Freaky made $16,244,416 opposed to Dragon Ball's 50million.

Not permanant but I think it's pretty feasible for a temporary 1 month event or something like that. Demon Slayer made over $500 million so I'm not so sure you can say anime isn't popular. Maybe pre-pandemic.

I think it largely depends on timing and the properties. Freaky made $16,244,416 opposed to Dragon Ball's 50million.

Not permanant but I think it's pretty feasible for a temporary 1 month event or something like that. Demon Slayer made over $500 million so I'm not so sure you can say anime isn't popular. Maybe pre-pandemic.
Demon Slayer only made $45 million in the US. Only about $2 million in Great Britain. Those are the primary markets for Orlando. The bulk of its gross came Japan (70%), natch. But that means the markets Orlando is focused on are not the market that carried that film’s success.

This Is The End actually made $126 million worldwide (its profit was $50 million). That was a Hollywood movie that made fun of Hollywood that only appeared in Hollywood as a house.

Once again start small

it doesn’t cost much to have good items and some pop up photo ops in the main area of USH

also if it’s dragonball themed it guaranteed to draw fans. The series is over 30 years old and will get people to come

Once again start small

it doesn’t cost much to have good items and some pop up photo ops in the main area of USH

also if it’s dragonball themed it guaranteed to draw fans. The series is over 30 years old and will get people to come

Getting people to show up for something like this in Hollywood would be easy, Anime Expo already goes hard out here.

I've been saying on these forums that the Hello Kitty store has been dead since it's opening. Sooo obvious. There must have been some sort of minimum years contract for it to stay open this long.....Often people forget
that there's major cultural differences between USA and Japan. Disney saw the same thing happen with that popular Japan bear........I miss Lucy there. It didn't move much merchandise but it was an interesting entertaining
walk through.

I've been saying on these forums that the Hello Kitty store has been dead since it's opening. Sooo obvious. There must have been some sort of minimum years contract for it to stay open this long.....Often people forget
that there's major cultural differences between USA and Japan. Disney saw the same thing happen with that popular Japan bear........I miss Lucy there. It didn't move much merchandise but it was an interesting entertaining
walk through.

Always thought this was a perfect location for a thesis "Classic Universal Tribute" museum/store for films/rides/etc. Could save a portion of it for new attractions/etc.

If we can't get a great movie ride-esque ride or a backlot tour, we need at least something to celebration Universal's film legacy.

Universal Pictures - A Tribute

With One Piece doing really really really well on Netflix with the Live Action hitting number 1 in 84 countries and Universal having a long standing relationship with Oda for One Piece Summer at USJ, I would be surprised if it comes to the stateside parks

With One Piece doing really really really well on Netflix with the Live Action hitting number 1 in 84 countries and Universal having a long standing relationship with Oda for One Piece Summer at USJ, I would be surprised if it comes to the stateside parks

I am..admittedly curious on it too. Looking at USF and the rumors of a Fan event of some kind, I have to wonder how easy it could be if Hollywood tries to follow suit, but brings the One Piece show from Osaka dubbed.

WaterWorld is getting it's first IP Overlay properly with The Purge: Dangerous Waters, and if that is successful I have to think continuing the trend of an IP Overlay in that venue could be rather beneficial.

The Gray Man was number 1 on Netflix for a time.

EDIT: Obviously One Piece is popular, but Netflix metrics are not some sterling standard of popularity.

Last edited:
I am..admittedly curious on it too. Looking at USF and the rumors of a Fan event of some kind, I have to wonder how easy it could be if Hollywood tries to follow suit, but brings the One Piece show from Osaka dubbed.

WaterWorld is getting it's first IP Overlay properly with The Purge: Dangerous Waters, and if that is successful I have to think continuing the trend of an IP Overlay in that venue could be rather beneficial.
The issue with the one piece overlay is it's literally 80 minutes long not including the pre show...(that part of the reason why they charged)

The issue with the one piece overlay is it's literally 80 minutes long not including the pre show...(that part of the reason why they charged)

True! But I do think it certainly wouldn't be far fetched if Hollywood tries to bring something of the sort if they entertain a Universal Cool like event. Even if it's not directly the same; it would be interesting to see how Hollywood would tackle some of the setpieces from Osaka's.

As many others have stated, Pokemon would be the ideal pick if Universal wanted to have an anime IP featured at the US parks. But at the same time, what is the probability of Universal and the Pokemon company working out a deal to bring the IP to USF and USH? I asked this over on Reddit and got a split reaction with some thinking it will stay exclusive to Japan while others saying it will make it way over to the US and it would be a game changer if that did happen. Is it possible they want to see the reception for that reskinned Spiderman ride before brokering a deal for the US parks?