Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney+

Disney + costs, after the posting of their quarterly report, is sinking Disney's stock (CNBC) ............................. Down to $89 per share at this moment........Meanwhile theme parks are doing quite well. ESPN
dragging Disney down also.
Oh Disney…I remember when I bought at $150 thinking it was a steal.

I wonder what this means for the future of streaming. Can’t help but think a lot of these media companies are disappointed with the performance after dumping SO many resources into these products. Meanwhile, I just switched back to cable (and I would think I’m not alone among people my age).

I wonder what this means for the future of streaming. Can’t help but think a lot of these media companies are disappointed with the performance after dumping SO many resources into these products. Meanwhile, I just switched back to cable (and I would think I’m not alone among people my age).
Yes. Streaming has been over rated for a long time. It took almost a decade longer to take hold than the industry expected, and now there's too many competitors chasing customers. Disney and Netflix are still
in the strongest positions, but to maintain their market status, they're bleeding cash. And many of their new customers are those outside the US that pay way less for subscriptions. It's far from the days when ESPN was
a cable cash cow for them. The old, be careful what you want. Cable was a better profit base. Investors patience with the climbing costs of new product and maintaining streaming market share, will ultimately meet resistance.
And then the decisions will be interesting to watch.....An interesting Sunday 'Pearls Before Swine' comic the other day summed up the streaming industry's future issues. Rat says to Pig, "Heh, I closed the cable and we're
saving $100 a month"..."But the bad news is all of our streaming services are costing us $200 a month ". :lol: .....Cable really gives you more bang for your buck, and some that opted out are now coming back. But still slowly.

While I agree that Marvel content can slow down.....I dont know what else will drive people to stay on the platform (without hulu content merging which wont happen for a while)

Like if we only get one big show for every 2 months even.....because honestly right now Disney plus for me is just great but if the content slowed down..I might only have Disney plus a few months out of the year

I dont know your age...but all my friends and people I know who are under then me (im 33) all want app. No one young wants cable, and funny enough the things that would make them money...ads are also not wanted by young people hence why Ad blockers exist

While I agree that Marvel content can slow down.....I dont know what else will drive people to stay on the platform (without hulu content merging which wont happen for a while)

Like if we only get one big show for every 2 months even.....because honestly right now Disney plus for me is just great but if the content slowed down..I might only have Disney plus a few months out of the year

I dont know your age...but all my friends and people I know who are under then me (im 33) all want app. No one young wants cable, and funny enough the things that would make them money...ads are also not wanted by young people hence why Ad blockers exist
Disney just needs to buyout Comcast from Hulu which could happen whenever. It happens in 2024 no matter what so imo, why wait? Get Disney+ to it's fullest potential like the rest of the world has instead of holding it down as a kiddie service with some Marvel/SW content here and there.

In other Disney+ news...

An Indiana Jones show is being developed. No details in terms of who it will be revolved on.

Late 20’s…I mainly got cable for sports, because it’s easier to flip channels than to flip platforms when the best games are owned by different conglomerates. I still subscribe to HBO and the Hulu/ESPN/Disney bundle (I mooch Netflix from my parents too) but all of the content I get from a typical Spectrum package includes a little bit of every streamer (Comedy Central/Paramount Channel, Disney Channel/ABC/Freeform, FX, all the ESPN channels, CBS, AMC…those are just a few off the top of my head and it covers just about all of them) for just one monthly price that also includes Internet.

ETA: Most channels also have an on-demand section, and one of my boxes has DVR. So it’s effectively the same product as one of the streamers, just not limited by parent company.

In other Disney+ news...

An Indiana Jones show is being developed. No details in terms of who it will be revolved on.

I wish they’d just give it a rest. Give us something new, stop cherry-picking well-likes franchises for a quick content injection. I already hate Star Wars now which I never thought I’d say.

Last edited:
Those big losses generated by Disney + are driving Chapek and the Board to cut hiring and costs across all Disney divisions. Announced by Chapek yesterday.....That's that overly optimistic pie in the sky streaming for you.

Unless the articles I’m seeing are wrong

the parks seem to be killing it but they are going to have a hiring freeze and to me it’s insane that the parks cost more then ever, aren’t being maintained well and are crowded for nothing

Unless the articles I’m seeing are wrong

the parks seem to be killing it but they are going to have a hiring freeze and to me it’s insane that the parks cost more then ever, aren’t being maintained well and are crowded for nothing
Unfortunately, that's been Disney's MO. The parks are a profit cash cow. But when one of their other businesses lag, they cut the park's to make up for the losses in the under performing divisions....
Even Netflix, the growth market darling until the past year, has rarely made any substantial profits, if any, some years, during their entire life. Sooner or later, investors get tired of the empty promises, and then they jump ship.

Those big losses generated by Disney + are driving Chapek and the Board to cut hiring and costs across all Disney divisions. Announced by Chapek yesterday.....That's that overly optimistic pie in the sky streaming for you.
They're running Disney+ almost in a way that exclusively attracts new viewers instead of retaining viewers or increasing profits. They really need to adjust their metrics on that if their goal is for streaming to be profitable.

That said I think companies and investors are chasing the dragon assuming that you can ever be as huge as Netflix was when they were the only streaming service. They're working within the new media paradigm rather than literally inventing an entire new method of media consumption. It's just not realistic without fundamentally reinventing the concept of what a streaming service is or can be. Ironically I think Disney is in the strongest position to create that shift with their content library and creation machine, they just don't have executive leadership with the vision to truly change things which is reflected in their treatment of the parks.

They're running Disney+ almost in a way that exclusively attracts new viewers instead of retaining viewers or increasing profits. They really need to adjust their metrics on that if their goal is for streaming to be profitable.

That said I think companies and investors are chasing the dragon assuming that you can ever be as huge as Netflix was when they were the only streaming service. They're working within the new media paradigm rather than literally inventing an entire new method of media consumption. It's just not realistic without fundamentally reinventing the concept of what a streaming service is or can be. Ironically I think Disney is in the strongest position to create that shift with their content library and creation machine, they just don't have executive leadership with the vision to truly change things which is reflected in their treatment of the parks.
Yes....and it's doubtful anyone is going to make meaningful profits unless there's a nearly total shakeout of the industry with only a small handful of services remaining. The business model was overly optimistic
and seriously flawed from the get go. I've been in the home entertainment business for a long time, plus my brother was VP of one of the movie studio's home entertainment division. We've discussed this issue for the past decade,
with the real info available to us, not the trade paper 'guesses' (they guess like the TEO guesses on theme park attendance). The numbers don't add up. Pie in the sky for sure. The issue is, over pay to create new content
and thus limit any profit. Or under pay for less new content and lose subscribers. Lose lose proposition with so many competitors out there. And some of these these streamers are ignoring classic films, or even purposely eliminating
recent content (Netflix has been doing this a lot) that's ends up lost somewhere in the cloud .
Makes no sense.....Reminds me of the TV networks in the 60's erasing content on their video tapes (Like the 60's Johnny Carson shows) and reusing those tapes for new shows, just to save a very few bucks.

Last edited:
Anyone watch Disenchanted or the Mickey Mouse documentary that came out yesterday? Haven't had time to watch yet as i've been busy but likely will in the coming days. If anyone has seen either of these, what are your thoughts?

Anyone watch Disenchanted or the Mickey Mouse documentary that came out yesterday? Haven't had time to watch yet as i've been busy but likely will in the coming days. If anyone has seen either of these, what are your thoughts?
Disenchanted should have been in theaters….period

I personally think it’s a better film then the first because the first film just kinda has people fall in love

this film has a more realistic view on what love Is and while not all songs are amazing the ones that are amazing I can see becoming classics and a few just fun songs as well

this along with chip and dale are what many people want to watch. Just fun films

Disenchanted should have been in theaters….period

I personally think it’s a better film then the first because the first film just kinda has people fall in love

this film has a more realistic view on what love Is and while not all songs are amazing the ones that are amazing I can see becoming classics and a few just fun songs as well

this along with chip and dale are what many people want to watch. Just fun films
Having not seen Disenchanted and seen the trailer for Strange World, I feel like they have it backwards. Disenchanted, especially being a sequel to a beloved movie, feels like the type of movie that would do well over Thanksgiving in theaters whereas no one is talking about Strange World and is projected to only make $20-30M on opening weekend and $68M-103M on the high end for its whole run, which would still be well below even Lightyear which was a major disappointment.

A box office for Strange World on the low end of projections would be the second lowest box office return for Walt Disney Animated Studios for a pure theatrical run film (so discounting Raya and the Last Dragon), only ahead of 2010's Winnie The Pooh.

Are they ever going to add “Aladdin the Series” to its lineup?
They’ve been slow in adding 90’s library content that isn’t extremely popular. Buzz Lightyear of Star Command is another show that they need to add. They should’ve added it when Lightyear came out.

Having not seen Disenchanted and seen the trailer for Strange World, I feel like they have it backwards. Disenchanted, especially being a sequel to a beloved movie, feels like the type of movie that would do well over Thanksgiving in theaters whereas no one is talking about Strange World and is projected to only make $20-30M on opening weekend and $68M-103M on the high end for its whole run, which would still be well below even Lightyear which was a major disappointment.

A box office for Strange World on the low end of projections would be the second lowest box office return for Walt Disney Animated Studios for a pure theatrical run film (so discounting Raya and the Last Dragon), only ahead of 2010's Winnie The Pooh.

When you give a film very little advertising, it's no real surprise that it's not being talked about much. I'm still bumping into folks who didn't know it exists, and those who have respond with "Wait, that's a Disney film?".

When you give a film very little advertising, it's no real surprise that it's not being talked about much. I'm still bumping into folks who didn't know it exists, and those who have respond with "Wait, that's a Disney film?".
They aren't giving it a big advertising campaign on purpose in all likelihood. Test Screenings have probably come back mixed on the film with Disney themselves not even sure how to market it. Disney knows they are probably going to lose money on the film as it isn't seeming like a big hit and it's going to D+ after 30 days anyway so might as well minimize the marketing dollars spent on the film as that minimizes the overall loss.