Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 105 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
See I think I’m Demon Slayer, my mind goes to one thing: the success of Demon Slayer XR and the N.A. run of Mugen Train. And how Mugen Train put the franchise in the eyes when the pandemic was still at it.

I also think JP Horror or at the very least Asian horror, regardless of IP or original needs to be finally represented next.

Given that WB has dipped a toe into haunts and Potter pop-ups, I would be surprised if the contract for the show didn't include a clause effectively securing haunted house rights.

One of those "on the cusp" IPs. Anime certainly not mainstream, but the small-ish percentage who are fans are really into it. I've used the Dr. Who analogy before. From the sports world, hockey probably the best analogy (#4 by far of the "big 4" sports, but the Rangers can still sell out MSG for a meaningful playoff).

The question with any fairly niche genre IP, tho: is there crossover already? I'm not a fan, but I imagine most of the people who turned up for something called Demon Slayer were already inclined to buy an HHN ticket.
Anime isn’t really my forte but it’s the most popular one in the world so I do think there would be an audience for it. I have seen demon slayer and would consider myself a casual fan and honestly I don’t think it would work very well as a house, despite its name horror is maybe the third most important genre of the show and that’s probably being generous.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I consider myself pretty pop culture literate. I know nothing about Demon Slayer, and I don't personally know anyone who does. I don't see it being even close to a huge draw for the event as others have claimed.

While not a fan myself, I know that this one in particular has a huge draw for a decent sized audience. Plus, a large part of that audience isn't really being catered to at the event yet. If you go into most pop culture centric stores (FYE, Hot Topic, Boxed Lunch), you're guaranteed to see a decent amount of DS items. Particularly that vaguely (not so vaguely) S&M looking girl with a bit in her mouth.

See I think I’m Demon Slayer, my mind goes to one thing: the success of Demon Slayer XR and the N.A. run of Mugen Train. And how Mugen Train put the franchise in the eyes when the pandemic was still at it.

I also think JP Horror or at the very least Asian horror, regardless of IP or original needs to be finally represented next.

You see, this sounds like mostly just nonsense to folks that don't follow the genre. That's why bringing an anime is going to be a tough sell for HHN's current audience.

Reactions: graspthesun
You see, this sounds like mostly just nonsense to folks that don't follow the genre. That's why bringing an anime is going to be a tough sell for HHN's current audience.

And I get that trust me but, I think it stems towards more than just “anime” here.

Can only speak on Hollywood but while they have been continuing to further strengthen the element of Latino and Spanish representation with the past two years, USH has been downscaling Asian representation in turn with the proper omission of Lunar New Year excluding that of the themed food overlay in Hollywood & Dine.

And with HHN continuing to evolve, atleast for Hollywood: representation with stories from Asian culture, pop culture and mythology (doesn’t even have to be specifically Japanese either.) feel like elements you go at to further add more. Can be with IP such as a Demon Slayer, The Ring or even Junji Itos work as a horror artist, or it can stem towards original concepts; like what Hollywood tried to do in 2019 or what Knotts previously did with Shadowlands.

Similar thought process with Orlando but I understand it’s not as large of an demographic pool as it could be for the LA area, representation feels like something you could do. Even if it may be smaller for Orlando

Reactions: DannyPowers
And I get that trust me but, I think it stems towards more than just “anime” here.

Can only speak on Hollywood but while they have been continuing to further strengthen the element of Latino and Spanish representation with the past two years, USH has been downscaling Asian representation in turn with the proper omission of Lunar New Year excluding that of the themed food overlay in Hollywood & Dine.

And with HHN continuing to evolve, atleast for Hollywood: representation with stories from Asian culture, pop culture and mythology (doesn’t even have to be specifically Japanese either.) feel like elements you go at to further add more. Can be with IP such as a Demon Slayer, The Ring or even Junji Itos work as a horror artist, or it can stem towards original concepts; like what Hollywood tried to do in 2019 or what Knotts previously did with Shadowlands.

Similar thought process with Orlando but I understand it’s not as large of an demographic pool as it could be for the LA area, representation feels like something you could do. Even if it may be smaller for Orlando
I think an original house based on Japanese creatures like the one that was rumored early on could be awesome and really creative. I would be a little upset to see Universal spend a lot of money to secure a super niche IP that I'm not interested in or even familiar with at all.

I think an original house based on Japanese creatures like the one that was rumored early on could be awesome and really creative. I would be a little upset to see Universal spend a lot of money to secure a super niche IP that I'm not interested in or even familiar with at all.
Weeknd taught me a valuable lesson last year in that anything can be horror if given the chance to show how people see it as that.

Demon Slayer is a really good example of this, even if it borders much more than any IP of being non Horror; there are quite a few demon designs in place that could instantly work really well alongside set pieces like the Mugen Train itself.

As far as demon slayer goes Mugen Train movie was released in April of 2021 when people were still really skeptical of going to the movies and made 45 million dollars in the US alone and over 500 million worldwide. To say Demon slayer is not a big IP is ridiculous. HHN Has brought us IPs like House of 1000 corpses, Killer Klowns, Trick r Treat etc. that are significantly less known than demon slayer. Not to mention Universal has partnered with demon slayer in the past for an attraction in japan. I don't know if its actually happening but I could see why its certainly possible. It is big with a lot of teen audiences, next time you're out and about look around and you'll be shocked at how much demon slayer merch you see.

It is big with a lot of teen audiences, next time you're out and about look around and you'll be shocked at how much demon slayer merch you see.
I go to a fairly large school. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Demon Slayer or anime merch in general, with the exception of Pokemon of course.

Can we try to use a little bit of common sense? Has HHN Singapore had a Demon Slayer house? No? Then there's no way Orlando will. Sorry. If you were ever going to test out the IP, that would be the starting point.

Saying that a movie made $50m in the US and that it's a huge hit is ridiculous. Yes, it made $450m worldwide, I assume mostly in AP markets, but that's not going to get people to travel half way around the world or Orlando. Cocaine Bear has made more in the US in two weeks and to say that IP would drive people to spend thousands of dollars to travel halfway around the world is laughable. $50m dollars at the domestic boxoffice is a HUGE anime hit. $50m at the US boxoffice is also 80 for Brady.

I love niche stuff. I know what bands I love, but have no illusions that the fans at their sold out shows reflect that they should do the Super Bowl halftime show, or headline Coachella, or anything else like that. It's OK to be a super fan of a niche item, just don't pretend everybody else shares your interests or your passion. We had this whole conversation in, I believe, The Future of Lost Continent thread with people thinking the whole land needed to be based on Anime and it would be a hit. The analogy I used then was Target. Go to Target and go to their toy section. You'll find Bokugan and Pokemon toys there, but where's all the Anime stuff? It's hidden, along the back wall between electronics and the seasonal/garden section. Up front, by the checkouts, they have sports cards and "mystery packs" of Harry Potter, Ben 10, etc figures. Where are the anime things? Again, in the back of the store in one of the least traveled areas. If there was the demand, it would be in the toy section. If there was a huge demand, it would have an endcap display where people walking down the main aisle would see it.

The fact that Target has an Anime section is a big deal, it's a major victory....but it's also an afterthought and something that the local audience, for whatever reason, doesn't care about. By and large that's true and people speak with their wallets.

Besides that, I wonder how you could even do one in the US. The whole point of Anime is the style of it. How do you bring something like that a HHN house? You can't match that. Any Japanese animation to live action films does nothing but piss off the fanbase. Look at the Alita CGI that had to be redone. The Sonic that had to be redone. The sheer indifference, if not outright rage, at the Ghost in the Shell movie. I feel that even if HHN did have an Anime house, I'd mostly likely enjoy it more than any Anime fan. Why? Because I don't have unrealistic expectations in my head for how to bring action packed stylelized cartoons into a small contained space with human actors.

When they are casting for Chucky, what’s the height requirement they usually go for in past years? Is it 5’0 and below or do they have them a bit taller like 5’1- 5’4?

It would never happen, and especially not this year despite rumors, but having Stranger Things, IT, and Demon Slayer in the same year would hit the young adult zoomer demographic so hard the people who complained about younger fans in 2018 and 2019 would be living their nightmares. Would probably be crazy for ticket sales though.

As far as chucky goes, does anyone remember how they did it back in 2009? I have no doubt they'll have a better way of doing it now since so much time has passed, but it might give a good framework?

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
It would never happen, and especially not this year despite rumors, but having Stranger Things, IT, and Demon Slayer in the same year would hit the young adult zoomer demographic so hard the people who complained about younger fans in 2018 and 2019 would be living their nightmares. Would probably be crazy for ticket sales though.

As far as chucky goes, does anyone remember how they did it back in 2009? I have no doubt they'll have a better way of doing it now since so much time has passed, but it might give a good framework?
Chucky was played by actors back in 2009. I believe Universal stated that guests were going to be "shrunk" down to Chucky's size, which would explain why Chucky was larger than he actually is. (Don't quote me on that tho lol)
1678994561407.png
The masks were goofy-looking

If I recall right they had us shrink down to chucky size and hired actors. No puppets.

Chucky was played by actors back in 2009. I believe Universal stated that guests were going to be "shrunk" down to Chucky's size, which would explain why Chucky was larger than he actually is. (Don't quote me on that tho lol)
View attachment 18543

Missed that part of how Imagineers were inspired by HHN to shrink guests down to the size of a toy while creating Toy Story Land.

• Haha
Reactions: Crypt Keeper
View attachment 18543
I mean that's kinda a clever solution for the time, but jeez, that doesn't bode super well does it.

Reactions: Crypt Keeper
Took this screenshot remembering that in the past we saw Stranger Things get its own self contained event instead of coming to HHN (due to issues with Netflix I know).

That said, this event in Vegas makes me think IT is less likely to come to HHN.

edit: I’m dumb, I took the screenshot seeing haunt attraction, not escape room. Screw it, I still say IT isn’t coming.:pew:

Attachments

• 2CEA3EAA-6142-454B-A2D5-B8D3B54BF297.jpeg
    2CEA3EAA-6142-454B-A2D5-B8D3B54BF297.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.