Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
This thread is dedicated to all Speculation & Rumors for this year's Halloween Horror Nights 32 event at Universal Orlando.

As always, we ask that all speculation come from realistic expectations and adds to the discussion. Please keep discussions about wishful thinking/dream properties to the HHN Wish List threads. Official news will be shared on the News & Info thread.

We will be monitoring this thread very closely. We understand the appeal of a new speculation season and everyone is antsy to start talking about what's next. At the same time, we don't want the threads to devolve into chaos. We kindly ask you to please respect the guidelines of discussion so we can avoid locking discussions.

Thanks.

DISCLAIMER: This thread contains discussion centered around rumors and sometimes could include baseless speculation, and should be treated as such. Posts are not confirmations. Any official announcements for HHN will be shared on our main site, InsideUniversal.net

Might as well throw this out there, too:

Some of my early IP predictions for 32.

The Exorcist: What’s the best way to celebrate the classic 1973’s 50th anniversary? By bringing it back to the event that is the same as 26 with some improvements and an extra scene or two as a preview to the upcoming reboot.

Slipknot: I hope The Weeknd is the catalyst of the music based houses for HHN. With The End, So Far album now out, It perfectly makes sense for Slipknot to go next, going by the original lineup that fans are familiar with the most and also as a tribute to their deceased members. Though, not as big as The Weeknd and Alice Cooper, but the beloved masked metallers from Iowa sold over 35 million copies worldwide, had three number one albums on the Billboard 200, and even won a Grammy. They’re big enough to draw a lot of crowds.

The only problem is they’re no longer on Roadrunner Records (owned by Warner Music Group). If not, then it’s gonna be Dawn FM

Universal Monsters: I’m leaning towards on the Phantom of the Opera cause it’ll turn a hundred in the next few years. Though It’s in the public domain, it’s still technically a Universal property that is a big part of the brand historically. It’s also the Usher’s favorite movie, so you could tie into him with that.

My Biggest Wildcard

Nightmare On Elm Street: It seems like the Slasher icons are being represented one at a time in recent years. Last year was Leatherface, this year was Micheal Myers, and Freddy Krueger is probably next in line for 32.

Wow. Can't believe we're already doing this again! Anyhow, here are some IPs that I believe have a shot at showing up next year:

• Universal Monsters (This is kind of a no-brainer, but I'm not sure which monster/monsters are up next tbh)
  • The Weeknd: Dawn FM
  • The Last of Us
  • Terrifier
  • Evil Dead Rise
  • The Exorcist (1973 or 2023)
  • Insidious Franchise (To promote Chapter 5)
  • The Conjuring Universe
  • Saw Franchise (To promote Saw X)
  • Silence of the Lambs
  • 13 Ghosts
  • Suspiria
  • The Thing (It gets brought up every year, but it has to happen eventually)

Last edited:
My early ip predictions
Exorcist—— piggybacking off of what @Fear2010 said, it’s gonna be the 50th anniversary for the movie. It just makes sense

the last of us—— the show comes out next year and I think Warner bros is going to ride the hype as much as possible. Since it’s one of the biggest hyped shows coming in 2023.

terrifier—— a big opening for a horror movie, and getting the rights I don’t think would be super hard to get

but since Friday the 13th is out of legal trouble, and a show is “supposedly” coming to peacock, I could see how universal would want Jason to come back, since last time we saw him was in 2015

that’s about it for stuff I could really see coming

but some throwaway ips (ips that I would love to see, but doubt they will come)
Stranger things 4
the Weeknd Dawn fm
Slipknot

So here we go again.

Early prediction season!

Given how Blumhouse was one of the consistently longest waits during 31’s event run, I think we will see more Blumhouse going forward. I have gotten this gut feeling for a while, but Insidious seems like an excellent returning IP candidate with a new film in the works. Plus (more wishful thinking then anything), Orlando can give this IP the “TCM/Halloween Tent to Soundstage” treatment. Throwing in The Exorcist to sense the new Blumhouse trilogy begins next year.

Also, I would be down to pour out the Gasoline for a Sacrifice into Dawn FM, as I thought After Hours Nightmare was one of the most fun and creative IP houses in years. Hoping Universal Monsters returns again to continue their streak of good houses, especially given how Legends Collide brought us to a unique location for Horror Nights.

Besides speculating on what could appear in the lineup, I hope next year brings a third show, returning old house location, or something along those lines to help with the crowds. Given this controversy has been one of 31's most significant talking points, as a fan of the event, I hope Universal has something in response for 32.

We just had one :lol:

I'm not expecting another house announcement until after Mardi Gras ends, but maybe they'll spoil us and announce a house during Mardi Gras. As for dates, those could literally be dropped at any time.
I think it depends on the house total. There’s rumors floating around that half of the 4D building is replaced by the Minions while the other is safely kept as a house location, so it ain’t a stretch to see eleven. They could do it before Mardi Gras early next year or after on May.
Haha, was mainly kidding.

As far as actual spec, I’m seeing some Slipknot guesses. While I wouldn’t rule out another music house (I’m sure it moved merch and the synergy the park-wide queue music videos provided was actually a highlight for this year), I’d definitely expect them to lean more into pop. The Weeknd has a tenuous relationship with horror as is, one that I feel Universal probably used as a justification just to get a high-profile artist in the door. Now that the proof of concept worked, I think the horror-adjacency becomes less important than checking off the boxes that:
1. It’s recognizable by the widest possible audience
2. Has merch potential
3. Is mainstream enough to incorporate a big chunk of the discography in the parks’ background music loops

TL;DR: I wouldn’t be surprised to see another music artist…I’d be surprised if it was something like Slipknot.

Do we think another Netflix IP is possible this year? I seem to recall last year there was some sort of agreement issue between Netflix and Universal.

For the Netflix IP’s, I think the ship had been sailed. Though Hollywood related, John Murdy was asked if Fear Street will come to the event, and he tweeted that he will be ready when they’re ready.

Hot take: most things anyone posting here likes are a niche of a niche. Those properties are usually included as a Scarezone first.

I wouldn’t consider my early predictions to be niche. They all sound realistic to me as it could possibly get into fruition.

I’d classify Slipknot as niche unless you’re being sarcastic and I’m reading this wrong in which case nvm.

They may not be big as The Weeknd due to genre differences, but Slipknot is far from being niche compared to some of the bands they were influenced by (Gwar, Cannibal Corpse, etc).

They may not be big as The Weeknd due to genre differences, but Slipknot is far from being niche compared to some of the bands they were influenced by (Gwar, Cannibal Corpse, etc).

But realistically speaking do you genuinely see Universal choosing Slipknot over another mainstream, household name artist? Cause, to me at least, Slipknot doesn’t fit into either one of those categories, whereas people like The Weeknd, even Slash because Guns n Roses, are. So if you look at it like that, would you see Slipknot as a group that fits into the same box as Alice Cooper, Slash, The Weeknd, Billie Eilish, Rob Zombie?

Status
Not open for further replies.