Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I could be wrong, but I think there's almost no way they ever bring Terrifier to this event.

I know it sounds like splitting hairs when you have tons of other slashers at the event, but I daresay that Universal can't touch source material that controversial.
What exactly is controversial about Terrifier?

But realistically speaking do you genuinely see Universal choosing Slipknot over another mainstream, household name artist? Cause, to me at least, Slipknot doesn’t fit into either one of those categories, whereas people like The Weeknd, even Slash because Guns n Roses, are. So if you look at it like that, would you see Slipknot as a group that fits into the same box as Alice Cooper, Slash, The Weeknd, Billie Eilish, Rob Zombie?

I get they’re not on the same popularity level as the Weeknd or Billie, but they’re similarly big and commercially successful as Alice. Not even Rob was able to achieve it on that type of scale. I think some may not think it’s possible cause they get little airplay on the radio yet they sold millions, streamed billions and played at arenas and festivals as headliners, which I digress.

Reactions: Darko and Allison
The Exorcist: What’s the best way to celebrate the classic 1973’s 50th anniversary? By bringing it back to the event that is the same as 26 with some improvements and an extra scene or two as a preview to the upcoming reboot.

Nightmare On Elm Street: It seems like the Slasher icons are being represented one at a time in recent years. Last year was Leatherface, this year was Micheal Myers, and Freddy Krueger is probably next in line for 32.

I know since it's an open season on spec, we can assume anything but do just want to point out that anniversaries don't necessarily mean anything. For example, Psycho celebrated 60 years in 2020 and was a staple of HHN's early years. No plans for it.

I'd also add that Chucky fits their "slasher" bill. Not saying they can't do another but...

But realistically speaking do you genuinely see Universal choosing Slipknot over another mainstream, household name artist? Cause, to me at least, Slipknot doesn’t fit into either one of those categories, whereas people like The Weeknd, even Slash because Guns n Roses, are. So if you look at it like that, would you see Slipknot as a group that fits into the same box as Alice Cooper, Slash, The Weeknd, Billie Eilish, Rob Zombie?

I think Slipknot fits into the Alice Cooper/Zombie tier. So a zone is possible, but I just don't see it these days. Weeknd changed the game. It's gonna be someone that moves the needle while also flirting with horror. Lady Gaga and Metallica come to mind off the top of my head.

I could be wrong, but I think there's almost no way they ever bring Terrifier to this event.

I know it sounds like splitting hairs when you have tons of other slashers at the event, but I daresay that Universal can't touch source material that controversial.

Terrifier might be a nice addition... but I think they wanna stay away from murderous clowns since they kinda have their own; and despite its success - it's still considered "small time". I think the only other clown they'll shoot for is Pennywise.

Last edited:
What exactly is controversial about Terrifier?

It's sort of an Invisible Man situation. The violence isn't the issue; it's more that the violence in Terrifier is perpetrated on women with a sexual bent and the film's language is pretty misogynistic in general.

It's arguable that Art the Clown demeans and kills women simply because they are women, and that's just not something you want a mass market event. If you have teenagers unfamiliar with that property, you cannot frame that house as positive in that context or say, "Grab the DVD on home video today!"

This is a much longer and complex topic but that's a summary.

It's sort of an Invisible Man situation. The violence isn't the issue; it's more that the violence in Terrifier is perpetrated on women with a sexual bent and the film's language is pretty misogynistic in general.

It's arguable that Art the Clown demeans and kills women simply because they are women, and that's just not something you want a mass market event. If you have teenagers unfamiliar with that property, you cannot frame that house as positive in that context or say, "Grab the DVD on home video today!"

This is a much longer and complex topic but that's a summary.

Wasn't aware as I hadn't seen the films.

Yeah - definite nope.

Reactions: londonwerecat
Just because a new movie comes out and does good dosen’t mean it is going to be at HHN. Same with any kind of anniversary. With that being said here is my early spec.

Dates: First weekend in September till ???

10 houses(I don’t see a need for it to go to 11)

• Chucky(confirmed)
• Universal’s Monster of some sort- seem to be having it every year now so I won’t be surprised to see it again. Not to mention people seem to love them.
• Music house- like it or not seems like we will be getting one now.
•TLOU- if it is true and we only lost the IP due to the show being pushed back to 2023 then I see it coming.
• Slasher IP- you can never go wrong with one of these and Universal seems to know this.
• 5 originals for a 5/5 split

scarezones
?
?
?
?
?

shows
• Lagoon Show- This is very popular and hearing a lot ask Universal when it will be back up just reminded Universal how popular.
• Nightmare Fuel- Everytime I hear about this it’s positive and everytime I saw this show the crowd loved it and were amazed.

Last edited:
Another year, another speculation season!

Something I'm pondering is whether or not this could be the year we see a jump to 11 houses. 5 soundstages, F&F queue, two Sprungs, two warehouses, and Minions venue. Could definitely help spread out the crowds more, however as we saw this year, they're already having enough trouble keeping the houses staffed, and adding another house would only worsen that issue.

Now, as for what I believe could be the IP's for this year (besides Chucky):
  • Monsters: Phantom Vs. ??? - Obviously we'll be getting another Monsters house, and I think Phantom is the next obvious choice. The question becomes who he would be partnered with? I (and many others from what I've seen) hope for Creature to finally have his time to shine, but there's also the possibility of Hunchback. Or, pull a huge wild card and give us a Jekyll and Hyde house.

• Evil Dead Rise - House got scrapped because of the movie being delayed, not a falling out. Fully designed and ready to go, could make for a big headliner, I think this is a safe bet.

• WILD CARD: Blumhouse - There's a lot of different factors at play here. They could do Horrors of Blumhouse 4, especially after the success of this year's house, but then you have possibly two huge movies from them releasing next year: Exorcist and (maybe) FNaF. I think Universal would want either of these to be their own house rather than a section in a bigger house. Of the two (assuming FNaF does release next year as planned), I think they'd go with FNaF, seeing as how that alone could be the #1 headliner, and of course we've already had an Exorcist house in 2016. Time will tell with this one.

• WILD CARD #2: Another Musician - AHM was not only a huge success, but proved just how great these types of houses can be, and I think Universal would love to continue this trend. The question becomes who though? You can do a Dawn FM house (or maybe even Afterlife if it releases next year), or go to another big musician such as Lady Gaga or Metallica or Iron Maiden. Either way, lots of opportunity here for another huge headliner.

Now to dive into a harder subject: Theme and possible Icon! And to that, I say I really think there's a strong chance Usher returns next year. Not only are we getting another Chucky house (his original house was in 2009), the next Monsters house could be Phantom (Usher's favorite horror movie), and we've had a gradual buildup in Cleaver appearances the past two years, which to me says next year could give us a Leave it to Cleaver 2!

And that's all I got for now, excited to see how this spec season goes!

Last edited:
Some of my early spec
Chucky (confirmed)
FNAF
TLOU
Dawn FM
Blumhouse
Saw
Terrifier
Cleaver 2.
11 houses would be awesome and help crowds out a lot.
Shows:
Lagoon: I’ve loved the Lagoon shows and am looking forward to seeing it.
FF: I love Nightmare Fuel but I would enjoy a different show. A comedy or musical show would be pretty cool!

Last edited:
Reactions: Crypt Keeper
I know since it's an open season on spec, we can assume anything but do just want to point out that anniversaries don't necessarily mean anything. For example, Psycho celebrated 60 years in 2020 and was a staple of HHN's early years. No plans for it.

There is a possibility that it could change, since the event have gone through a lot of flip flops. For me, it would kinda be a missed opportunity as a marketing strategy if they have no plans to bring back the Exorcist. If this post doesn’t age like milk, then it could help promote the reboot trilogy and do well in the box office. The reason I’m leaning on the 1973 classic cause if they went with the upcoming sequel, it would be too much of a spoiler - but a couple of preview scenes won’t hurt.

As for Psycho, that might be a different case cause the series hadn’t made a return on the big screen for years. The last installment we had was a remake that nobody likes, even the Universal film division pretends that it doesn’t exist, and the last time we had a Psycho house was at Sweet 16.

In terms of very early spec with one actual announcement yet no clues from the usual suspects...

Evil Dead Rise - It was planned for this year, they were in the process of building it, and then it got scrapped. Thankfully it sounds like there was no falling out between rights holders and Uni, it was most likely due to the film being pushed back to 2023. There's honestly a very good chance it could return!

Some sort of UCM House - This is a well that just keeps giving and giving, and with Legends Collide kicking butt, I'd say it's as close to a given that we'll be getting another UCM House. The fun part is, who and/or whom? Personally, let Dracula (and his Brides) take a rest as they've been in all three houses so far. I'm fine with Frankenstein's Monsters, Wolf-Man and Mummy taking a break, too. That still leaves us with very fun options! I would honestly love a Creature from the Black Lagoon house, but I also think a great choice would be Phantom of the Opera in some fashion. Be it a retelling, remake, original spin, the creative team can take this in so many directions. Also, for what it's worth, Murdy in Hollywood has mentioned he definitely has an idea for the Phantom, so that could aid things in case both coasts want to do a shared property again.

Now regarding films with anniversaries and Slashers, well @Brian G. beat me to the punch, here.

I'd also add that Chucky fits their "slasher" bill. Not saying they can't do another but...

Yeah, film anniversaries usually don't mean jack diddly in terms of being the reason why they're made into a house. Psycho's 60th didn't produce a house, and more recently the 40th for The Thing didn't give us a house this year.

As for a Slasher property for the year, Chucky honestly fits, and that house is 100% confirmed.

Finally, while I'm not 100% sure the film is being released in 2023...considering the fact the film will finally start shooting early next year, I do feel it's time we can add Five Night's at Freddy's to the spec list.

With Blumhouse producing that's one possible foot in the door, and if Uni ends up distributing it? That's the other foot! Now this will certainly depend on when the film is released, if it's released sometime in 2023, then I'd say it has a chance of being a 2023 house. As we know, A&D can be provided early scripts etc. to figure out what to do. Granted, what they're given might not even end up in the film, but enough about Dracula Untold. Now if it's not released in 2023, I'd say the property is a good potential lock for 2024.

I hope they don't fall into a predictable Classic Monsters, Music Artist, Universal Property tie-in, and Blumhouse cycle

But if they do

Classic Monsters: Creature From The Black Lagoon

Music Artist: um....idk

Universal Property tie-in: Obvi Chucky

Blumhouse: Freddy's

Reactions: Darko and reeseyNG
They may not be big as The Weeknd due to genre differences, but Slipknot is far from being niche compared to some of the bands they were influenced by (Gwar, Cannibal Corpse, etc).

As Brian and I have said smaller things might be a zone or maybe a mash-up house (if you can get one big one what about 3-4 medium ones?). Same thing with Terrifier, outside of some content issues the biggest problem is HHN *itself* is so large it demands large properties. I'd say the resurgence of Trick'r'Treat and Killer Klownz comes in part from HHN on both coasts putting them back in the spotlight.

If I was looking at licenses, and knowing Netflix has been getting weird, I'd seriously look at Shudder. Also does anyone know if there's any Peacock horror content? I feel that's an easy Synergy Opportunity.

I have a real hard time seeing Universal doing Exorcist again. I love the classic IPs, but Exorcist doesn't offer a lot of material to work with - most of the film takes place in a single room, after all. The strong maze at 26 dealt with this very cleverly, but the creative team doesn't like to repeat themselves. Look at Halloween this year, when the desire not to replicate the previous house resulted in some very unexpected choices and a house that disappointed many - and Halloween offers a lot more to work with then Exorcist. Besides, Blumhouse is making a new Exorcist, and if Universal wants the property I'm sure they'll wait for that.

If Five Nights at Freddy's is released by the time of the event, I'd be quite surprised if it doesn't show up.

Peacock doesn’t have a lot, horror-wise. And what they do have has almost no following.
I suspect anything at WB is gettable. The only downside is that the company is so unstable you might get a repeat of what happened with Evil Dead Rises this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.