Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I am okay with Wakanda Forever essentially being a stand alone movie with slight connective tissues, but it frustrates me that Eternals came out a year ago and not a single movie or show has referenced what you’d think would be a world shaking event with a freakin Celestial hanging out in the Indian Ocean.

I like that these Phase Four movies were a bit more standalone, but there still could’ve been a throwaway line of connecting dialogue here or there in the movies in this phase to connect things just a slight bit better while still standing on their own. This was a rebuilding phase so I get the approach though.

I am okay with Wakanda Forever essentially being a stand alone movie with slight connective tissues, but it frustrates me that Eternals came out a year ago and not a single movie or show has referenced what you’d think would be a world shaking event with a freakin Celestial hanging out in the Indian Ocean.

I like that these Phase Four movies were a bit more standalone, but there still could’ve been a throwaway line of connecting dialogue here or there in the movies in this phase to connect things just a slight bit better while still standing on their own. This was a rebuilding phase so I get the approach though.

With Phase 4 now complete, they needed something. Rebuilding is fine but this went nowhere except introducing Young Avengers, which the common consensus seems to be met with a collective shrug.

Liked it, agree with everyone’s critiques. I didn’t mind seeing the updates with the CIA. I do agree that the movie was too long.

I guess I’m still waiting for the future of the MCU to be telegraphed. Feige said a while back that a project would point us in the direction. I really expected it to be this one, but I’m not mad at the movie because it didn’t.

With the trailer of Ant Man showing Kang and it being released in a few months, I’m assuming that’s where it’ll all be kicked off. I agree with @Brian G. - it’s clear that this phase has introduced a young version of most characters, but meh.

Edit: Also, that Namor plant is gonna be important for a certain character down the line isn’t it?

With Phase 4 now complete, they needed something. Rebuilding is fine but this went nowhere except introducing Young Avengers, which the common consensus seems to be met with a collective shrug.
Phase Four was bad in many respects. Overall it was just meh, but it had some really low lows and very few highs (NWH being the only thing that everyone can agree on).

Hopefully things pick up once Kang gets properly introduced with Ant Man 3.

I just want to point out, Kang isn't to me going to solve the more major MCU issues.

Its just not focusing on the main characters enough and having just wayyyyyyy too much going on in these films but also nothing happening, along with the writing being just not the best of the MCU or even close to the best modern day fiction writing.

Look at Andor compared to most the MCU phase 4 projects (with a few exceptions) feels written by children compared to something like Andor. The fact that Werewolf by night is voted pretty much the highest quality by both critics and fans just speaks to where we are with most the MCU, its just lost compared to prior phases

I just want to point out, Kang isn't to me going to solve the more major MCU issues.

Its just not focusing on the main characters enough and having just wayyyyyyy too much going on in these films but also nothing happening, along with the writing being just not the best of the MCU or even close to the best modern day fiction writing.

Look at Andor compared to most the MCU phase 4 projects (with a few exceptions) feels written by children compared to something like Andor. The fact that Werewolf by night is voted pretty much the highest quality by both critics and fans just speaks to where we are with most the MCU, its just lost compared to prior phases
This movie didn’t feel written for kids, but it was certainly overstuffed.

Reactions: Nico
My big issue with Phase Four (despite really enjoying NO WAY HOME, MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, and SHANG-CHI) is not so much that we got some fairly self-contained movies. I actually sort of appreciate that.

My issue is that in each of the previous Phases, we knew that each Phase itself was building towards something (an Avengers team-up), but with Four, it didn't really build to anything. There was no culmination, no sense of concluding a chapter, turning a page, and moving forward.

I'm actually sort of skeptical that Phase Four was meant to end with WAKANDA FOREVER, as it seems more likely to me that the original plan was for this Phase to encompass everything leading up to SECRET WARS, but with the increasingly vocal frustration/ambivalence that a lot of the MCU product has started to elicit, Feige called an audible and rebranded Four, Five, and Six to change the conversation a bit.

My big issue with Phase Four (despite really enjoying NO WAY HOME, MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, and SHANG-CHI) is not so much that we got some fairly self-contained movies. I actually sort of appreciate that.

My issue is that in each of the previous Phases, we knew that each Phase itself was building towards something (an Avengers team-up), but with Four, it didn't really build to anything. There was no culmination, no sense of concluding a chapter, turning a page, and moving forward.

I'm actually sort of skeptical that Phase Four was meant to end with WAKANDA FOREVER, as it seems more likely to me that the original plan was for this Phase to encompass everything leading up to SECRET WARS, but with the increasingly vocal frustration/ambivalence that a lot of the MCU product has started to elicit, Feige called an audible and rebranded Four, Five, and Six to change the conversation a bit.

Agreed. Although I guess Dr. Strange did leave off with the incursion bit but that seems more of a Dr. Strange 3 tease than Saga tease.

They tried too hard on bringing in new characters instead of bridging gaps between sagas. At the end of the day, Phase 1 was about the "original 6", with only 3 of them having franchises.

Reactions: belloq87

I don’t necessarily agree that Feige called an audible on this. You have to remember that COVID and Boseman’s death put a wrinkle in things as far as how Phase Four would end, no doubt, I agree.

But there’s also the fact that it took 5-6 years to build up to Endgame from when we are first introduced to Thanos. So taking 6 or so years to build to Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars shouldn’t come as a surprise.

Reactions: belloq87

Winter Solider whether or not if it connects to something bigger was just a good movie

that’s the issue with the MCU now is they don’t care if the film of just stand on its own

people love dare devil show and the thing it led up to sucked, so really think it’s more about focusing on the characters people love and then if I’m a sequel people love some small characters put them in it more but they are forcing characters into films that no one asked for while taking away focus on what should be the main plot of the film

This movie didn’t feel written for kids, but it was certainly overstuffed.
It the like plot and action of the film felt like a kid wrote it compared to something like Andor

I know BP2 had some deep themes and good acting at parts but the like CGI costumes everyone is wearing and fact that no warrior characters die in a war against such a string villain feels childish to me. Like if people love this film cool but it’s at the same level of comic book as black adam, dr strange and Thor with drops of deeper themes

Last edited:
It the like plot and action of the film felt like a kid wrote it compared to something like Andor

I know BP2 had some deep themes and good acting at parts but the like CGI costumes everyone is wearing and fact that no warrior characters die in a war against such a string villain feels childish to me. Like if people love this film cool but it’s at the same level of comic book as black adam, dr strange and Thor with drops of deeper themes
Andor is really good, but not everything is meant to be told in that slow-burn way that that story is. Was this movie perfect? no. Was it as good as the first movie? no. But if you are going to compare every MCU project to Andor or one of the best written shows on TV, then you're almost always going to be disappointed. I do agree the pacing was weird though. It was almost like every time the movie felt like it was getting in a rhythm, they would abruptly interrupt it.

Much like @belloq87, I did enjoy NWH, Shang-Chi and Multiverse of Madness as my favorites this phase (Wakanda Forever has gone down upon second viewing, although it's perfectly fine although flawed). Loki was easily my favorite show along with a shoutout to the under-appreciated FatWS. Speaking of under-appreciated, I do think Eternals was a lot better than it gets credit for upon revisiting, but much like Wakanda Forever, they tried to fit way too much into one movie.

Reactions: youhow2
So watching YT videos on Easter egss in this film....this fim is setting up a lot of future MCU shows/movies

BP3 (a duh but still is something being set up)
The Wakanda TV show
Iron Heart
and Thunderbolts

Along with not knowing but most likely something from this film being connected for the next Avengers film. Along with the script being re written, I really feel like they need to set up, like one or two things max instead of over stuffing the films.

It looks like Shang Chi online at least seems to get the most love for this Phase and think its because while its a little over stuffed as well, it still focuses on the man characters of the film (Shang Chi and his father)

So watching YT videos on Easter egss in this film....this fim is setting up a lot of future MCU shows/movies

BP3 (a duh but still is something being set up)
The Wakanda TV show
Iron Heart
and Thunderbolts

Along with not knowing but most likely something from this film being connected for the next Avengers film. Along with the script being re written, I really feel like they need to set up, like one or two things max instead of over stuffing the films.

It looks like Shang Chi online at least seems to get the most love for this Phase and think its because while its a little over stuffed as well, it still focuses on the man characters of the film (Shang Chi and his father)
Shang-Chi was absolutely great. I still think NWH was the best though because not only was it just a fun and really good movie, but the multiverse characters were ACTUAL characters with a that played a big role in the film and not just cameos.

I think in MCU rankings (for film)...
1: No Way Home
2: Shang-Chi (I really love how different it felt, much like how Werewolf By Night and Moon Knight feels very different from MCU Norms)
3: Wakanda Forever
4: Eternals (Yes)
5: Multiverse of Madness
6: Thor: Love & Thunder
7: Black Widow

I really liked Wakanda Forever, liked it a lot.

• Shuri's transformation and arc, how she becomes the Black Panther, how the events shape her to be who she turns into be; is some of the best MCU stuff period. Letita gives a hell of a performance as the Princess.
  • Namor's introduction into the MCU (and the first Theatrical Mutant into the MCU) feels so fantastic. Steps above Michael B. Jordan's Killmonger in just how the story works as well as it does with him, how he parallels with Shuri, and his duties to protect Talokan. It makes him one of the best villains in the MCU, right up alongside Agatha, Loki (Pre Dark World), Killmonger, and Thanos. Can't wait to see how that narrative continues.
  • The visuals might be even better than Eternal's best VFX sequences (And I think Eternals earns a place as one of the most beautiful MCU films when given the time to have that scale and scope). Talokan is one of the best looking domains they've crafted period.
  • Angela Bassett deserves the Oscar Nom.
  • Riri didn't need to be in the film, probably really shouldn't of, but I actually like the performance of the actress. Makes me interested to see where the D+ show goes
  • Spoilers: Ross and Valentina didn't need to be in this. Not really, not at all. Felt like if you could cut anything, it's that plot beat.
  • Plot feels..too simple. Weird complaint, but needed a bit more working to justify the runtime.
Phase 4 Rankings Overall:

1: Werewolf By Night
2: No Way Home
3: Shang-Chi
4: Loki S1
5: Moon Knight
6: Wakanda Forever
7: Eternals
8: Falcon & The Winter Soldier
9: Multiverse of Madness
10: Ms. Marvel
11: WandaVision
12: Hawkeye
13: She-Hulk
14: Thor: Love & Thunder
15: Black Widow
16: What If S1

Last edited:
Reactions: Nico
Eh.

Phase four was like watching dragon ball z waiting for the eventual battle, and then the episode ended with them still "powering up" as random background noise happened that you thought would initiate something that would propel the story forward, only for it to end with them still getting ready to fight... Or something like that... And then the "powering up" went on for 5 more episodes, and then the big fight got delayed til next season because something else happened.

Wanda's arc was heartbreaking, and perhaps the way she made her exit, while somewhat deserved, felt too soon as her villainy was too easy to empathize with, and despite slaying other heroes, the quantum realm hijinks makes their intros and deaths feel cheap compared to the price she paid all throughout her story. Her tragedy almost goes unfelt, because she never became a "true" monster. Also, any kind of potential resurrection would feel cheap as well. She probably needed to kill another character that people were more attached to, for her death to feel more "earned", if she's out of the mcu, forreal. I.e, she kills Dr. Strange or something.

Loki started off the phase strong by introducing Kang, Introducing or expanding upon the interdimensional lore, further developed Loki as a character and resolved an outstanding plotline from the first trilogy of phases. It's concepts were then completely ignored for the rest of the phase, aside from teasers and a bit of Doctor Strange 2 and how it connected with What if...? and I really think this might be at the core of the problem.

Wandavision was cool, but then they made an event film about her becoming the ultimate evil, had her kill a bunch of unimportant and previously unintroduced characters then (probably) killed her.

There were way too many teases and not enough advancements made to the interconnected stories. They introduced umpteen characters and concepts and plotlines that have been left so wide open, upon my viewing of BP2 I can't say I have the capacity to continue to care for a majority of the characters or possible plotlines we've been introduced to, apart from this Kang, only because it's assumed he will be enough of a threat to bring the characters back together and have them establish more interconnected relationships... And because we know he's coming. Everything is so connected while being simultaneously disconnected, and so much has been stuffed between the character's separate outings, how will these things work out when they come together?

Ant-Man 3, to me, and anecdotally, has all this weight of a lack of meaningful advancement to the overall story over time resting on it's shoulders, and absolutely must deliver a payoff to the viewers for sitting there and absorbing all these character introductions, plotline teases, etc. over the whole of the mcu. These aren't comic books, they've branded the shows and the movies into one of giant interconnected stories. We see now you just can't put that much "filler" across so many
shows and movies. Now, it makes sense if Antman kicks things off with Kang etc. He's a less popular character and Paul Rudd has some forward momentum in "star power" right now, bringing him up by making him very important (and delivering a damn good movie) could be the play, imo... And really, I hope that's the case because there's just not enough payoff for enduring these stories right now, imo... And more importantly, the story about these relationships between them just aren't adding up. Why do we care about them, collectively? There was an initial chemistry built between characters that would become important in the first phase trilogy as early as Iron Man 1, and we saw more and more of each interaction. We had Coulson, We had Black Widow, We had Nick fury. We had standalone outings, yes, but without 10 hours of pictures between them, we saw the Standalone characters introduced to the "world" of the MCU. And then, they slowly began coming together. The earth's mightiest heroes defeated Loki, Ultron and Thanos (and as a plot teaser, it was established early that Loki was essentially working for Thanos) and not one of them has each other on speeddial while all these crazy things are happening. Where is the point of centralization? How can they introduce a threat large enough and introduce reasons these team ups or relationships haven't been built yet prior to the next "Avengers" tentpole? And, they are going to have to begin rebuilding these relationships and interconnecting these stories more or, from personal experience and from much of the feedback I read online, I'm not too sure I or the audience is going to be willing to indulge all these plotlines well into phase 6. It's been so dry of unity or connectedness across stories, it feels like they can't not, not deliver for the rest of the announced slate.

The rest of the slate for phase 5 seems like it can start to deliver. It's just hard to get excited about right now because of a lot of the storytelling choices. Keeping up with everything feels like a chore. This is the task of phase 5, to rectify this. And I've enjoyed my time with the MCU thus far and haven't regretted one viewing... But, my god... They have to deliver.

All that being said,

BP2 was great. Some conflicting thoughts about Ironheart. That whole thing was a bit rushed and Riri didn't get enough screen time. Perhaps her show should've coincided with the release of the film, Even as a prequel to her appearance in the film, rather than using this as her launch vehicle. Using the movie to set her up feels wrong. Ironheart armor kind of felt unearned in some respect... She was more of a comedic relief and her introduction was rushed. And then they cheaped out on/and or rushed the CGI for her armor... I hate to say it but the whole of her story could have been left out the movie, and it probably would've been for the better. She felt placed in the story, rather than needed in the story. It came off as a cheap introduction rather than an inspired portion of the plot. Namor was enough of a villain ( outstanding performance, Love what they did with the character.) Without the whole "Riri" thing, This story could've been top tier marvel. Random scientist who perhaps gets killed off discovers a way to detect vibranium. Maybe this non-Riri character could've been an interdimensional travel participant or gatekeeper later on... Battle between 3 factions to protect or procure the secret/scientist, a secret war between a secret race of mutants, U.S government and Wakanda. With the way the world is right now, it could have been a more spicy political thriller and better commentary on society and the times we live in, and of course, loss. And it felt almost like what it was trying to be at times, then veered off towards a lighter story, then just plunged into darkness back and forth.

Instead of leaning into the merits of the plot, it's "hey look guys, there's the girl iron man character, she's going to be important and has her own show coming soon on Disney+, don't forget about Disney+! Oh yeah, here's an arc for Shuri and the new black panther btw, don't forget to keep giving us your money! luv u thanx, :heart::heart::heart::heart: lol!". It just felt like she was a cheap plot device, rather than a NEEDED character. With the Midnight Angels, she is a redundancy to Shuri and Wakanda, other than figuring out how to detect vibranium... She didn't need to be a gatekeeper.

Really, she's my only problem with the film. Any problem I do have could be resolved by just... Not doing Riri. It was the wrong time for that introduction with the seriousness of the subject matter I believe the character, and not the performance weighed it down, and it just smelled like corporate mandate stuck into the film. I liked the character, Dominique Thorne was great... But it just added so much extra noise to the film and made it feel unfocused. I can see how it might have worked, and I'm curious about what was left on the cutting room floor. But, we got what we got.

I still think it's a great movie for the genre, it still delivers its core message in adequate fashion... But, if they are doing standalone stories (which this one absolutely deserves to be), they need to lay off adding so many more layers and focus on reoccurring characters, or other characters from the umpteen introductions they've made the past few years that they want us to care about, Because, to summarize the problem, much of what they've alluded to, I simply don't care because it hasn't gone anywhere. yet. hopefully. soon.

7.2/10

Phase 4 Rankings:
1.Loki 10/10
2.Spiderman NWH 9.2/10
3.Dr. Strange 2. 8.8/10
4. Shang- Chi 8/10
5.Wandavision. 8/10
6. Falcon + Winter Soldier 7.9/10
7. Hawkeye 7.6/10
8. What if...? 7.5/10
9. Black Panther 2. 7.2/10
10. Love and Thunder 7.1/10
11. She Hulk 7/10
12. Eternals 6.5/10
13.Black Widow 6.2/10
14.Moon Knight 6/10 (Show just doesn't do it for me, though it has it's merits... acting is great, just can't get into it)

TBR: Ms. Marvel, Werewolf by night

Mostly perfectly watchable... But just that. Perfectly watchable. More content than phase 1, 2 and 3 combined. 50 hours of content, Very little meaningful(impactful) central story movement.

Here's to Phase 5. A lot rest on it's shoulders.

Just saw it, and couldn’t resist getting a Black Panther plushie at my local theater. Movies pretty good, though BOY did it went on too long.

Wait this is the last movie of Phase 4?

Alright then so judging the Phase 4 by memory alone (as this video says, a problem with these features is that they don’t really give reason for rewatchability).

Wandavision- C-. I get what they intentioned but the comedy-horror style meant a lot of filler.
The Falcon and the Winter Soldier- A-. Only one id probably bother to rewatch. Bucky finally gets proper characterization and I like Sam Wilson as Captain America.
Loki- D+. Something about Kang’s performance REALLY drew my ire, this of all things should have been not so serious, and Sylvie was pretty awful if I remember.
Black Widow- B-. Yelena is more fun than Natasha.
What If?- A. Solid elseworlds tales.
Shang-Chi- A-. A criticism of this film was that the fantasy elements were out of place, but I dare say it need more.
Eternals- F-. NO. REDEEMING. QUALITIES.
Hawkeye
- B. Kate Bishop is a good character, and Clint finally gets to shine as well, and yay more Yelena! However this is a TERRIBLE introduction to the so-called masterful villain Kingpin, and I don’t care about Echo.
Spider-Man No Way Home- Not going to grade this. Good if you remember the previous movies, however this means the awful “Sandman is Uncle Ben’s killer” twist is canon so screw that, and I never seen nor care about Garfield’s Spider-Man. And why ARE Sandman and Lizard here if they survived those films?
Moon Knight- A I guess. Do appreciate that they took this fairly seriously.
Multiverse of Madness- Not going to grade this. Thanks for making Wandavision a near-complete waste of time.
Ms. Marvel- C. Good start, solid finale, BAD MIDDLE HALF.
Love and Thunder- C. Why is THIS labeled a pile of (BLEEP)? It’s the exact same as Ragnarok!
She-Hulk- B. I have a feeling Cosmonaut Variety Hour wouldn’t have made a full length vid of this if it didn’t suffer from Captain Marvel syndrome.
Wakanda Forever- B+. Too long runtime kinda ruins this.

And that’s it.

Alright then so judging the Phase 4 by memory alone (as this video says, a problem with these features is that they don’t really give reason for rewatchability).

Wandavision- C-. I get what they intentioned but the comedy-horror style meant a lot of filler.
The Falcon and the Winter Soldier- A-. Only one id probably bother to rewatch. Bucky finally gets proper characterization and I like Sam Wilson as Captain America.
Loki- D+. Something about Kang’s performance REALLY drew my ire, this of all things should have been not so serious, and Sylvie was pretty awful if I remember.
Black Widow- B-. Yelena is more fun than Natasha.
What If?- A. Solid elseworlds tales.
Shang-Chi- A-. A criticism of this film was that the fantasy elements were out of place, but I dare say it need more.
Eternals- F-. NO. REDEEMING. QUALITIES.
Hawkeye
- B. Kate Bishop is a good character, and Clint finally gets to shine as well, and yay more Yelena! However this is a TERRIBLE introduction to the so-called masterful villain Kingpin, and I don’t care about Echo.
Spider-Man No Way Home- Not going to grade this. Good if you remember the previous movies, however this means the awful “Sandman is Uncle Ben’s killer” twist is canon so screw that, and I never seen nor care about Garfield’s Spider-Man. And why ARE Sandman and Lizard here if they survived those films?
Moon Knight- A I guess. Do appreciate that they took this fairly seriously.
Multiverse of Madness- Not going to grade this. Thanks for making Wandavision a near-complete waste of time.
Ms. Marvel- C. Good start, solid finale, BAD MIDDLE HALF.
Love and Thunder- C. Why is THIS labeled a pile of (BLEEP)? It’s the exact same as Ragnarok!
She-Hulk- B. I have a feeling Cosmonaut Variety Hour wouldn’t have made a full length vid of this if it didn’t suffer from Captain Marvel syndrome.
Wakanda Forever- B+. Too long runtime kinda ruins this.

And that’s it.
Love and Thunder, in a vacuum, shares a lot in common with Ragnarok, yes.

However, the reality is that while Taika’s style of comedy worked in Ragnarok because he didn’t actually write the movie and as a director and pushed to bring out of the best from his cast.

In Love & Thunder though, he wrote the movie and directed it and it felt like the probably had a blast making it, but the Comedy was just way too much.

Ragnarok was a nice blend of comedy while still focusing on story and allowing me to take it seriously. L&T was overbearing in its style of comedy so much so that at times it felt like a parody of a Thor movie and it took away from the emotional weight the film had a chance to deliver on due to the comedy being so constant and so overbearing.

Thinking of Wakanda Forever, and I think something makes me genuinely love the film.

And it's the introduction, of the second act. The second act for the majority is a miss for Wakanda Forever; and felt the most bloated, but what they got right? They got so right.

Something that I think defines Namor, is the devotion and care he has for his people. And for Talokan, I think it might of had the best introduction for a region that the MCU has done. More than Asgard & Ta Lo, and more than even Wakanda. Con La Brisa and the sequence when Shuri is us in our viewpoint; allows us to see a vividly beautiful and enchanting world with the Talokan, with how mesoamerican representation like Talokan was handled. It's probably one of, if not the best insert song since Shoot to Thrill from IM2, and better than the "Pray For Me" casino sequence of T'challa entering into the casino floor.

It made me want to see more of what Namor held too, that he aspired to protect from those who wanted to take what wasn't theirs to take. And it's something that I find a genuine impressment to just how well things were handled (and it makes me want to see more of Talokan in the future).
___
To also go further, I think Quinnmac hit the nail on the head early on in something: that this film feels like a really great film to actually jump into without that much context. Yes, King T'challa plays an important and vital part even with him no-where near the present events, but it's of it being a story that echoes a similar beat from Civil War; and opting to flesh it out.

Namor is looking to protect his people by any means necessary, and when confronted with loss and loss; vengeance and the pursuit to achieve his goals becomes completely paramount. And on the other end, Shuri takes not just to T'challa, but to Killmonger of how vengeance consumes them. How it changes and morphs her over the course. From her suit borrowing more of Killmonger, to her final choices echoing the brother she lost; due to the words of comfort from her mother now gone.

It's a Anti-Hero/Hero based film, but it excells to where you can see and argue to why both have somewhat of an active case to be made, especially in the pursuit of defending their homes. Defending their people, from those who simply wish to steal what made them so advanced.

Last edited: