Blue Man Group Replacement Rumors | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Blue Man Group Replacement Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think people are really underestimating how much backstage room you need to put on a production on the scale of Wicked or any of the other Broadway shows. Skimming through this will give you a little bit of an idea, but still undersells how much room you need in the wings for props, actors, costumes/changing screens, etc

If this was 1990 I think something like Stomp might be able to fit in here, but I think that's about it as far as productions go.

This would be better suited for a corporate events space, imo, especially as they build EU and get more daily capacity for park buyouts.

Oh I’m not doubting it, Wicked is also like THE highest tech show out there, I just didn’t know the space available.

I am surprised a broadway sit down production hasn’t happened at either Universal or Disney, to my knowledge at least. Wicked and The Lion King would translate well to a theme park resort imo.

Reactions: Victoria
Oh I’m not doubting it, Wicked is also like THE highest tech show out there, I just didn’t know the space available.

I am surprised a broadway sit down production hasn’t happened at either Universal or Disney, to my knowledge at least. Wicked and The Lion King would translate well to a theme park resort imo.
I think the only reason that it hasn't happened at Disney yet is because I believe Cirque has a non-compete clause. I've longed believed that if Disney built a brand new theater, they'd make a bunch of money off of Disney Musicals playing there. They could do shows that are no longer on broadway, but would do great at Disney (Frozen comes to mind immediately).

They could also alternate shows roughly every few years or so to keep it fresh. Basically it would be like the residencies that pop stars do in Vegas. For a year or 2 you could run Frozen, then switch to Mary Poppins, Newsies, Aida, The Lion King, etc, etc. Seems like a no brainer for Disney Springs.

^ with enough money, anything is possible. And if the show going in can easily recoup its investment, all the better.
Don’t assume “show.” Between Nickelodeon and BMG, the soundstage and offices belonged to the SunSports network. They used the soundstage for shooting their day shows and ran productions out of the offices.

It could easily get taken over by a network or TV show and not be open to the public.

And with regard to “space,” Broadway theaters typically have an equal amount of stage space in each wing, and an equal amount of stage height in the fly space. Basically, a professional stage requires 3x the space you actually see.

Any “show” that goes in there would be small.

Don’t assume “show.” Between Nickelodeon and BMG, the soundstage and offices belonged to the SunSports network. They used the soundstage for shooting their day shows and ran productions out of the offices.

It could easily get taken over by a network or TV show and not be open to the public.

And with regard to “space,” Broadway theaters typically have an equal amount of stage space in each wing, and an equal amount of stage height in the fly space. Basically, a professional stage requires 3x the space you actually see.

Any “show” that goes in there would be small.
Any show would preferably have a set in the vein of Hamilton, Avenue Q, etc (obviously on a smaller scale), where the entire set is is basically the same the whole show. The only thing that would have to go on/off is some small set pieces and props, which there is enough room for back there. There is not room for a show that has lots of moving pieces on and off stage as those have to be stored somewhere.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
If this stays a soundstage is it logistically possible for this to become space for a house during HHN?

I think the only reason that it hasn't happened at Disney yet is because I believe Cirque has a non-compete clause. I've longed believed that if Disney built a brand new theater, they'd make a bunch of money off of Disney Musicals playing there. They could do shows that are no longer on broadway, but would do great at Disney (Frozen comes to mind immediately).

They could also alternate shows roughly every few years or so to keep it fresh. Basically it would be like the residencies that pop stars do in Vegas. For a year or 2 you could run Frozen, then switch to Mary Poppins, Newsies, Aida, The Lion King, etc, etc. Seems like a no brainer for Disney Springs.
YES. PLEASE. Very good idea, someone give this to Chapek.

Reactions: Nick
Here's a prediction -

The BMG building itself becomes a production stage/HHN house.

The "plaza" area becomes a sort of "expansion pad" for Citywalk. There is certainly enough space for a restaurant or store there.

Reactions: shiekra38
If it became production/park space, another restaurant could likely fit in front to join Hard rock and Toothsome’s. I think I would like to see that more then anything else.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
Measuring area space on Google Maps, that plaza area would have PLENTY of room for a fairly sizeable restaurant and a store. The area of Cowfish/Vivo would take up roughly half of that plaza space.

Measuring area space on Google Maps, that plaza area would have PLENTY of room for a fairly sizeable restaurant and a store. The area of Cowfish/Vivo would take up roughly half of that plaza space.
I definitely think there is demand for Universal to build more shops and restaurants in CityWalk - its space that has held them back. they could do a lot with the small, amount of space they will gain off of Blur Man Group

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
Leaving some space between the measurement area and Hard Rock/HRRR, I measured around 31k square feet of area space.

For reference here are some rough measurements for the area taken up by some other Citywalk venues:

Toothsome - 30k sq ft
NBC Sports Grill - 13k sq ft
Cowfish/Vivo/Red Oven/Coldstone - 15k sq ft
Bigfire - 10k sq ft
Margaritaville - 29k sq ft
Cinnabon/formerly Fossil/Billabong/Piq/etc - 19k sq ft

So based on all this.. something pretty sizeable could DEFINITELY go into that plaza space!

It'd be really bland if they just made a show building there. You really need something with some kinetic energy there otherwise that whole part of the park just feels lifeless.
Well, maybe the best case scenario is HRRR is either retracked or replaced with a different coaster, and the plaza area becomes a restaurant/shops for Citywalk.

As far as BMG, it'd be nice to have a new show in there but I have a feeling it sits empty.