Cabana Bay Beach Resort | Page 34 | Inside Universal Forums

Cabana Bay Beach Resort

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
From the Orlando Sentinel

City Council: Taxpayer-funded Universal bridge is good idea

By Mark Schlueb, Orlando Sentinel
6:42 p.m. EDT, March 25, 2013

Orlando leaders Monday defended their decision to spend $4.5 million on a pedestrian bridge for guests who stay at a new Universal Orlando hotel, calling it a good investment in one of the city's biggest employers.

In a series of votes Monday, the City Council approved using tax money from a Community Redevelopment Area to pay for $9 million in improvements around Universal Orlando, half of it for the pedestrian bridge over public streets that would connect the new Cabana Bay Beach Resort with Universal property.

The plan still needs a second council vote after a final public hearing, and the approval of the Orange County Commission. Both votes are scheduled in two weeks.

Essentially, the project would be funded by property taxes from Universal property. Critics have called it a corporate giveaway, but Mayor Buddy Dyer and commissioners said the city's investment will allow Universal to embark on a major expansion valued in the hundreds of millions — though that expansion is already under way.

Commissioner Patty Sheehan flatly rejected the notion the city was misusing tax money.

"This is going to create jobs and increase public safety," she said. "This definitely provides a public benefit."

The CRA was created in 1995 as a special taxing district to pay for construction of the Interstate 4 interchange at Universal Boulevard. It now generates about $8.5 million a year in taxes, and the debt payments on the highway interchange total about $3 million. The remaining $5.5 million is split between Orlando and Orange County.

The new improvements will add another $865,000 a year in debt, money that would otherwise be spent on general government services such as police or fire.

The bridge will be designed and built by Universal, and the city will pay the bill. It will connect public sidewalks but be used almost exclusively by Universal visitors. The bridge will help hotel guests reach Universal's theme parks safely.

"This allows us to not only go through the current expansion, but it sets us up for the future. … The partnership that we have is special, and I want to thank you for that," Universal lobbyist John McReynolds told commissioners.

At the same meeting, the council agreed to give Universal until 2023 to cash in $7.4 million in road impact fee credits. That vote allows the company to lock in 2006 impact fee rates, limiting its expense as it grows in the coming years.

mschlueb@tribune.com or 407-420-5417

From the Orlando Sentinel

City Council: Taxpayer-funded Universal bridge is good idea

By Mark Schlueb, Orlando Sentinel
6:42 p.m. EDT, March 25, 2013

Orlando leaders Monday defended their decision to spend $4.5 million on a pedestrian bridge for guests who stay at a new Universal Orlando hotel, calling it a good investment in one of the city's biggest employers.

In a series of votes Monday, the City Council approved using tax money from a Community Redevelopment Area to pay for $9 million in improvements around Universal Orlando, half of it for the pedestrian bridge over public streets that would connect the new Cabana Bay Beach Resort with Universal property.

The plan still needs a second council vote after a final public hearing, and the approval of the Orange County Commission. Both votes are scheduled in two weeks.

Essentially, the project would be funded by property taxes from Universal property. Critics have called it a corporate giveaway, but Mayor Buddy Dyer and commissioners said the city's investment will allow Universal to embark on a major expansion valued in the hundreds of millions — though that expansion is already under way.

Commissioner Patty Sheehan flatly rejected the notion the city was misusing tax money.

"This is going to create jobs and increase public safety," she said. "This definitely provides a public benefit."

The CRA was created in 1995 as a special taxing district to pay for construction of the Interstate 4 interchange at Universal Boulevard. It now generates about $8.5 million a year in taxes, and the debt payments on the highway interchange total about $3 million. The remaining $5.5 million is split between Orlando and Orange County.

The new improvements will add another $865,000 a year in debt, money that would otherwise be spent on general government services such as police or fire.

The bridge will be designed and built by Universal, and the city will pay the bill. It will connect public sidewalks but be used almost exclusively by Universal visitors. The bridge will help hotel guests reach Universal's theme parks safely.

"This allows us to not only go through the current expansion, but it sets us up for the future. … The partnership that we have is special, and I want to thank you for that," Universal lobbyist John McReynolds told commissioners.

At the same meeting, the council agreed to give Universal until 2023 to cash in $7.4 million in road impact fee credits. That vote allows the company to lock in 2006 impact fee rates, limiting its expense as it grows in the coming years.

mschlueb@tribune.com or 407-420-5417

Sounds like the writer doesn't like the giveaway...

Well then it's definitely not for my family, I just hope I can sneak into the bowling alley and such from the Hard Rock Hotel.

I don't think you'll need to "sneak in." You can go to any of the resorts freely and eat at their restaurants, so I'm sure this will be open to everyone. :thumbs:

It will be interesting to see if this pulls more guests to actually staying at Universal, as a I am a Travel Agent from the UK I know there is next to no amount of customers that actually enquires about staying in Uni over Disney or International Drive!

So let's quickly review:

For the majority of the year, Universals three current onsite hotels run at these rates:

Royal Pacific: $254-294
Hard Rock: $289-359
Portifino Bay: $309-359

Cabana Bay is expected to be at $119-189

According to OrlandoInformer, all three resorts charge $18/night for self parking or $25/night for valet (I didn't know this). I haven't heard anything about parking concerning Cabana Bay yet.

Express pass fluctuates from $20 up to $120 during the holiday season, so Cabana Bay not having express won't help. Royal Pacific could potentially be a better deal during the busier times of the year if a family is looking to get the two-park express, as those can get pretty expensive.

So let's quickly review:

For the majority of the year, Universals three current onsite hotels run at these rates:

Royal Pacific: $254-294
Hard Rock: $289-359
Portifino Bay: $309-359

Cabana Bay is expected to be at $119-189

According to OrlandoInformer, all three resorts charge $18/night for self parking or $25/night for valet (I didn't know this). I haven't heard anything about parking concerning Cabana Bay yet.

Express pass fluctuates from $20 up to $120 during the holiday season, so Cabana Bay not having express won't help. Royal Pacific could potentially be a better deal during the busier times of the year if a family is looking to get the two-park express, as those can get pretty expensive.

Interesting thought, and I agree. I'd much prefer it anyway. However, not everyone has the extra money to go up to Royal Pacific or could afford to buy the passes separately anyway. I'd definitely say this is for the budget traveler who can't afford the things like Express.

Interesting thought, and I agree. I'd much prefer it anyway. However, not everyone has the extra money to go up to Royal Pacific or could afford to buy the passes separately anyway. I'd definitely say this is for the budget traveler who can't afford the things like Express.

The advantage to the EP is it is good for two days and available before check in so there is where I find the value. I myself will not stay on property with out the key card express when I can stay across the street a lot cheaper and not get robbed for parking.

Man I miss the days of getting RP for $130 a night and Hard Rock for $150 : (

I remember those days too. Stayed at the Hard Rock Annually sometimes twice a year with those rates. Also, more than ever I hate the 18 dollars a night fee for parking. It is downright dirty.

I remember those days too. Stayed at the Hard Rock Annually sometimes twice a year with those rates. Also, more than ever I hate the 18 dollars a night fee for parking. It is downright dirty.

We would come up 3-4 times a year and soend the weekend up there. We used to cram about 7-8 people into those rooms and we would all split it and share the express lol. The crazy things we did in our ealry 20s :lol: The parking fee sucked the first time I stayed but visits after we knew it was coming and just felt with. Tons of hotels are charging stupid resorts fees and things like that parking free so not really much we can do about it

Foreals?? Ever? Not once? Kudos to you, I always end up caving into buying an express pass even when the lines are just moderate. No waiting ftw!

I have neer bought it either, only time I've used it was while staying onsite. If you plan accordingly and try to go during slower times you can manage just fine without needing it