Dead Exposure: Death Valley (HHN 2024) | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Dead Exposure: Death Valley (HHN 2024)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Which begs the question, why call it Dead Exposure at all? It's like when Universal makes sequels to really well known films years later with zero connectivity to the original. Like Half Baked 2, Kindergarten Cop 2, How High 2, Undercover Brother 2. Except in those instances, it makes sense -- you can draw in fans from the original to watch something new. However, how many Orlando fans are now clamoring to go to Hollywood? Is that the purpose of this one maze? To get tourists? Obviously not. I don't know, just seems...odd.

Reactions: Grabnar and chris.g
More than anything, I’m extremely, EXTREMELY disappointed this wasn’t Exterminatorz. Genuinely wounded.
Confused Tom Hanks GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Jake S
Which begs the question, why call it Dead Exposure at all? It's like when Universal makes sequels to really well known films years later with zero connectivity to the original. Like Half Baked 2, Kindergarten Cop 2, How High 2, Undercover Brother 2. Except in those instances, it makes sense -- you can draw in fans from the original to watch something new. However, how many Orlando fans are now clamoring to go to Hollywood? Is that the purpose of this one maze? To get tourists? Obviously not. I don't know, just seems...odd.
it’s just a fun thing for super fans. it’s not that deep.

this sounds like fun and I’m glad they’re trying more original stuff to round out the lineup. we’ll see!

I feel like its a trademark thing maybe? I Orlando already has the name ready legally so we can use it and not go the “Radiationz” route. Thats just my assumption tho

Im assuming the strobe/ blacklight photo effect (that the name literally references) is not a part of this as it hasn’t really been mentioned and is a pretty unique feature not to speak on if it was present.
In a reply to someone asking a similar question Murdy said that it will be localized to certain sections but not the entire maze.
This is pure speculation but maybe it gets more and more blacklight-centric as you go further into the maze as if youre experiencing the effects of the nuclear fallout via pseudo zombie radiation poisoning and becoming one of the zombies yourself?

I feel like its a trademark thing maybe? I Orlando already has the name ready legally so we can use it and not go the “Radiationz” route. Thats just my assumption tho
Ah, you know what, I remember this was mentioned a long time ago for "The Thing: Assimilation." The name was used in Orlando already and they just reused it to save money. Makes the most sense, doubt its for super fans -- Hollywood DGAF in that regard at all.

This is what Murdy had to say about it:

Fwiw, it seems like a classic pandemic-oriented Dead Exposure house was planned prior to Covid. That became its own original thing that was then changed back to Dead Exposure as it developed closer to the Orlando iteration.

Edit: more info:

Reactions: DTH and Jake S
I hope its good

Like nothing to go off besides the generic zombie art....I hope its good and would have also preferred Exterminatorz over zombies...but I hope the themeing of this is more then I'm thinking right now

the reason that the Orlando house has flashes of light it was because that house had a protagonist, he was a professional photographer, trapped In a building, there was a blackout in the city and we traveled with him using his camera to see the city. ( I think that was the story)
we went through a park and sewers and a bathroom and a garage? I remember the sewers and the public park. that's another reason it was so beloved, it had a cool story.

this house could have had flashes of light that represents shooting or explosions instead of a camera, maybe not a nuclear blast, but maybe the flashing of lights is coming from soldiers or security guards. gun sounds and flashing lights could represent the shooting ?

the reason that the Orlando house has flashes of light it was because that house had a protagonist, he was a professional photographer, trapped In a building, there was a blackout in the city and we traveled with him using his camera to see the city. ( I think that was the story)
we went through a park and sewers and a bathroom and a garage? I remember the sewers and the public park. that's another reason it was so beloved, it had a cool story.

this house could have had flashes of light that represents shooting or explosions instead of a camera, maybe not a nuclear blast, but maybe the flashing of lights is coming from soldiers or security guards. gun sounds and flashing lights could represent the shooting ?

Thats why using the name Dead Exposure seems strange to me tho. The whole title is a play on words why not use it? I can't really tell if Patient Zero also involved a photographer, but they still carried the concept over. The visual is the main thing that allegedly made that maze memorable. This is def just them borrowing the name, but it makes me wish they would've chose another Orlando zombie house instead? Maybe Zombiebeddon?

It kinda feels weird that they wouldn't want to do it considering Pandora's Box and The Exorcist use kinda similar visual effects. It's right up their alley.

Reactions: chris.g
Thats why using the name Dead Exposure seems strange to me tho. The whole title is a play on words why not use it? I can't really tell if Patient Zero also involved a photographer, but they still carried the concept over. The visual is the main thing that allegedly made that maze memorable. This is def just them borrowing the name, but it makes me wish they would've chose another Orlando zombie house instead? Maybe Zombiebeddon?

It kinda feels weird that they wouldn't want to do it considering Pandora's Box and The Exorcist use kinda similar visual effects. It's right up their alley.
Patient Zero had the flashing lights be a side effect of a vaccine you got :lmao: for the zombie pandemic

"Fear will infect you, plunging you into darkness against a plague of swarming, fast-moving zombies.
The world doesn’t get any darker. The planet has been infected with the ultimate pandemic. A ghoulish biological outbreak is turning swaths of humanity into a plague of vicious, swarming zombies. In a flash, you’re lost in darkness—but the zombies can still see you, and soon your growing unease will turn to screams and despair. If you’re not already afraid of the dark, you will be."

Last edited:
I assume the "Exposure" is Radiation Exposure, hence the dripping green stuff on the zombies in the concept art (and Murdy did say we'll hear a ton of Geiger counters)

• Wow
Reactions: Lucky Planet
Patient Zero had the flashing lights be a side effect of a vaccine you got :lmao: for the zombie pandemic

"Fear will infect you, plunging you into darkness against a plague of swarming, fast-moving zombies.
The world doesn’t get any darker. The planet has been infected with the ultimate pandemic. A ghoulish biological outbreak is turning swaths of humanity into a plague of vicious, swarming zombies. In a flash, you’re lost in darkness—but the zombies can still see you, and soon your growing unease will turn to screams and despair. If you’re not already afraid of the dark, you will be."
To add to this; the concept was that you received the vaccine then entered a 'safe' lab, but the lab workers were already infected (re-infected?) by disease carrying monkeys they had been studying. The flashes came from your vision being blurred by the vaccine. As well, scene one and the finale were fully 3-D sets while the sets in between had a flat look about them and honestly resembled the graphic novel illustrations by J Bone or Tony Moore (the latter of whom incidentally did the art on the first story arc of "The Walking Dead": Days Gone By).

• Wow
Reactions: Lucky Planet
I don't know if this house is gonna have any glow in the dark aspects or even flashing lights, or if it's gonna be a regular zombie house,
in some ways it would be better if they dropped the flow in the dark aspects and just do a regular zombie house because it means proper sets and proper props and costumes, if they don't do the glow in the dark flashing lights gimmick then it could look really good with proper sets.

I was looking at videos of Patient Zero and it didn't look that great, some rooms looked pretty pretty bad. the glow in the dark and flashing effects looked great in person, it was really scary, but visually it was kind of bad.

I can't really tell if Patient Zero also involved a photographer, but they still carried the concept over.
It should've...it lacked an effective audio cue to go along with the camera flashing. Combine that with nuclear meltdown (or a Soviet bio-weapon) being the reason for the zombie outbreak and wa-la, would've been perfect.

My major question on this one is what it can do to stand out, or be unique. Zombies are pretty generic, and even the military base/experiment gone wrong angle is a bit generic. I hope that the Death Valley part is more than just a title pun - it would be neat to see zombies breaking out of the base and into desert scenes.

Reactions: chris.g