Disney+ | Page 66 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney+

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Ah okay, I didn’t think Disney owned firefly, so this rumor caught me off guard. I was told about it by my mother of all people (she loved Firefly).

I knew it seemed like things weren’t adding up.

Originally 20th Century Fox had the rights but after they cancelled season 1,. Joss Whedon asked Universal's Chairman at the time would they pick it up for season 2 and Universal decided to go with a movie instead leading to the film Serenity. They got the rights back in 2005.

Now it is possible Disney Television studios develops a show based on firefly in association with Universal Television for Disney+ but it would mean Universal would have final approval on everything produced and created for Disney+ series which I don't think the studio group would want to deal with at this time especially if Firefly becomes a hit.

Universal Owns firefly rights not Fox...so that is not in the least bit true.
You are wrong. 20th Century is both the Distributor and a production company for the show. You may be thinking of Battlestar Galactica?

EDIT: Although Universal did release Serenity in 2005, so maybe 20th Century had the rights and gave them up when the movie happened?

Reactions: SeventyOne
You are wrong. 20th Century is both the Distributor and a production company for the show. You may be thinking of Battlestar Galactica?

EDIT: Although Universal did release Serenity in 2005, so maybe 20th Century had the rights and gave them up when the movie happened?

They got the rights back in 2005. Disney still gets to distribute the show...but any new series/movies even for television/streaming has to go through Universal.

Reactions: SeventyOne and Nick
So I’m taking this with Incredible grains of salt since there is no reputable sites reporting this, but there are rumors of a Firefly and potentially Buffy reboot going around for Disney+. I wouldn’t get my hopes up though.

I wonder if Whedon will be involved here. After it seems like Warner Bros found some real dirt on him concerning his time on Justice League, that's something I wouldn't go near with a 10-ft pole.

Reactions: Grabnar
Pardon the awful pun, but I can't imagine a BUFFY reboot on Disney+ would be allowed to have any sort of bite whatsoever.

It would surely be watered down.
I think the addition of Star to the service makes a lot more possible. Here in that states, a Buffy reboot would would probably be Hulu, but I could easily see Disney putting a Buffy reboot as a Disney+ Star original internationally.

EDIT:

Last edited:
Universal owns Serenity, not Firefly. Two separate IPS.

And I don't see Disney works with Whedon - beyond the Justice League, he was outed as a lowkey predator a bit before Me Too really coalesced.
Are they really considered separate IPs? The characters, ship, setting, etc. are all the same.

I think the addition of Star to the service makes a lot more possible. Here in that states, a Buffy reboot would would probably be Hulu, but I could easily see Disney putting a Buffy reboot as a Disney+ Star original internationally.

EDIT:

I hate this soooo much

I bet the show would have been great...but adult subject matter can't be talked about unless it's tip toed around.

Disney really needs to open up its subject matter, Logan is a top notch film let alone Super hero film that Disney would have NEVER let be made and why I was against them getting Fox. Literally just less kinda films being made

As stated in the official logline of Secret Guide to Celestial Creatures, the action-adventure drama centers on a Korean American family of legendary guardians who protect the supernatural community that lives among us in plain sight.

Yes, they are. Think of it like Halloween, where different companies own different movies in the franchise.

Another great example is that "Freddy vs. Jason" is considered a distinct IP from A Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th. This loophole has been used to get Freddy and Jason into Horror Nights events in the past.

So, apparently there will be EIGHT episodes in season one of WandaVision instead of the six that we previously thought. This comes from an official Disney Latino website which states that new episodes will air weekly on Friday's from January 15th to March 5th, which is 8 weeks.

Ending on March 5th leaves a one week break (presumably for another round of Marvel Studios: Legends episodes on Bucky and Falcon) on March 12th and then The Falcon and Winter Soldier starts on March 19th. If that show is 6 episodes like we think it is, it goes from March 19th to April 23rd with a one week break (again, presumably for a Marvel Studios: Legends episode on Black Widow) on April 30th and then Black Widow comes out on May 7th.

So to write it out more clearly, the Marvel schedule is looking like this. Everything pretty much lines up.
Legends - Wanda & Vision: 1/8
WandaVision: 1/15-3/5
Legends - Falcon & Winter Soldier: 3/12
The Falcon and the Winter Soldier: 3/19-4/23
Legends - Black Widow: 4/30
Black Widow (theaters): 5/7

and then theoretically we could be looking at something like this. Marvel content every week of the year from beginning to end. It may not be this exactly, but it'd wager it'll be pretty close.
Legends - Loki: 5/14
Loki: 5/21-6/25 (if 6 episodes)
Legends - Shang-Chi: 7/2
Shang-Chi and the Ten Rings (theaters): 7/9
What-If?: 7/9-9/17
Legends - Ms. Marvel: 9/24
Ms. Marvel: 9/24-10/29 (if 6 episodes)
Legends - Eternals: 10/29
Eternals (theaters): 11/5
Legends - Hawkeye: 11/12
Hawkeye: 11/19-12/24 (if 6 episodes)
(12/24 possible start date for Book of Boba Fett?)

Last edited:
I thought Loki was 2021and looking it up, all i see is its coming out next year.

But basically 4 months of Marvel is more then enough for me anyway...I'd expect Bad Batch to be the show in May they will be pushing out like Clone Wars last year.

I thought Loki was 2021and looking it up, all i see is its coming out next year.

But basically 4 months of Marvel is more then enough for me anyway...I'd expect Bad Batch to be the show in May they will be pushing out like Clone Wars last year.
Loki was announced for May 2021. Bad Batch will probably air when What if? airs i’d guess.

Loki was announced for May 2021. Bad Batch will probably air when What if? airs i’d guess.
Something like that or What If after Bad Batch and the July Marvel movie...either way 2021 even from just the first 6 months has more then enough content to make I think most fans happy.

Kinda worried about Wanda being more than 6 episodes but hoping the show is interesting for that long. I think 6 episodes is the perfect amount for the Winter Solider Show.

Also its kinda funny Netflix made many love the all at once model and disney is bringing back the one week at a time show...I know TV isn't dead but funny how we are all good with waiting for the show to air each week but Amazon got crap for doing it with the Boys