Dr. Doom Refurbishment | Inside Universal Forums

Dr. Doom Refurbishment

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jan 10, 2013
No man's land: SoCal
Apparently Dr. Doom just went under the knife for a major refurb.

I read one of Midway Mayhem's Insta stories that said that he heard that the towers used for the ride have fulfilled their lifespan. Now they have to rebuild the towers completely to extend the rides's warranty. Any idea how long it will be? It sounds like it won't be open when I go mid-September.

Looks like the ride was operational even with the top towers removed. Interesting to see how this plays out. Maybe a situation like hulk where the whole ride is removed temporarily

Reactions: Coolbfitz
Looks like the ride was operational even with the top towers removed. Interesting to see how this plays out. Maybe a situation like hulk where the whole ride is removed temporarily
I just saw pictures of work being done on the towers. Didn’t realize it was still operating.

While they’re not going to so this is purely for fun speculation, is there room for a theatre the size of Bourne to be there? I feel this land would round out better with that there instead of Doom, a show with Marvel characters using Bourne tech sounds like a dream.

While they’re not going to so this is purely for fun speculation, is there room for a theatre the size of Bourne to be there? I feel this land would round out better with that there instead of Doom, a show with Marvel characters using Bourne tech sounds like a dream.
Heck, they have an unused theater sitting a hundred yards, or so away, and another unused theater across the lake.

There are S&S space shots that have been around longer than doom so the warranty thing doesn't really make much sense, unless Universal got a different warranty

There are S&S space shots that have been around longer than doom so the warranty thing doesn't really make much sense, unless Universal got a different warranty

I think Freak misspoke, probably means it's nearing end of useful life and will be replaced.

Reactions: Clive
Cosmetic work I'm guessing

This is Marvel land, so everything has to be kept pretty (not that other lands aren't)

Come to think of it, I don't know the last time Doom received a large refurb like this

Reactions: Clive and Coolbfitz
Not true actually. Uni hosts a few cheerleading comps that end up using the Toon Lagoon theater. They must generate enough revenue that makes it worth keeping just for those types of things.
Well yes, I knew that. But it's very minimal use. Nowhere near a full time use. Cheerleading and a few scattered other functions don't really offset the land usage in a park that has little room for expansion.

Not true actually. Uni hosts a few cheerleading comps that end up using the Toon Lagoon theater. They must generate enough revenue that makes it worth keeping just for those types of things.

If they had the choice of taking it down for an IP based ride that can sell merchandise they'll start demo on it asap.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
Using bourne's tech to make something like a motion comics with thought bubbles and sound effects written could be so cool!