Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 154 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just anecdotal, but....this is our first day out of lock down, and first time non essential businesses have been allowed to open since mid March. Restaurant's/Bars still limited to outside service/pickup though. So, I ventured out since I had a number of things I needed to purchase that I couldn't get before. Just hit the local area though, furthest drive about 7 or 8 miles. Traffic was 'heavy'. Some of the businesses I went to and/or drove past, had more cars in their parking lot than on even a busy season day. Plenty of people shopping, very few 6 ft. markers, but since the governor 'ordered' everyone to wear a mask about three weeks ago to get served in a business, everyone had masks inside, but generally off outside. And, talking about restaurants having a unique idea to get business back. I drove past our local BBQ restaurant, the one that @UK-Trigg featured in his report/thread when he visited us. During normal times they don't open until 4:00 PM. But today, he had eight large tents set up in his parking lot to serve patrons. It was packed at noon with people eating out. It had the atmosphere of a spring/summer outdoor festival. Great idea to attract business within the governor's guideline of customers not allowed inside the building....Bottom line, good to see people, at least here in our area, not afraid to go out, and patronizing the local businesses that were shut down so long. Of course, this area is unique in that it's mostly hard core blue collar workers that have lived through the long economic depression (20 to 30% unemployment in nearly all the valley towns for more than a decade) in this area when the steel industry collapsed causing the Mon/Yough Rivers valley to lose 170,00 high paying jobs in a two year time span. .

So starting Monday restaurants and retail can increase capacity to 50% starting Monday. Gyms can also reopen starting on Monday. aka full phase 1 Theme parks can submit plans for reopening, which must include a date, and be agreed upon by county government. (Reading between the lines there Disney was probably shy about indicating any sort of date)

I'm thinking there's a strong chance Universal and/or SeaWorld will try to go for June 1st. (Disney may lag though)

So starting Monday restaurants and retail can increase capacity to 50% starting Monday. Gyms can also reopen starting on Monday. aka full phase 1 Theme parks can submit plans for reopening, which must include a date, and be agreed upon by county government. (Reading between the lines there Disney was probably shy about indicating any sort of date)

I'm thinking there's a strong chance Universal and/or SeaWorld will try to go for June 1st. (Disney may lag though)
If a gym can reopen...so can a theme park.

Gyms are inside and you are sweating on devices others touch. I know gyms are for health but they have just as many germs as a theme park if not more.

The recent governor announcement, to me, is code for small parks and attractions reopening in a week or two. I still would hesitate to think that we see any major parks reopen before mid-June (SeaWorld could be an exception).

Meanwhile, in California... if you so much as look at a restaurant dining room, the LA mayor threatens to come to your house and infect you. :look:
I live in Ca and get what they are going for but some of the rules are dumb. Like you can go to the beach but not sit down, I could live with this if we had an end date.
But no its open to end whenever but to me this sounds like summer is just going to be cancelled for anything fun outside even if we could just have some rules made.

I'm not one of those Freedom people but I'm starting to understand them more as the leadership isn't leading its wanting Businesses to just fail, people to lose jobs and for this to just stretch on forever.

If a business can have people 6 feet apart, let them open. If a theme park is willing to make everyone wear masks and only let 30% in and clean everything let them. The situation isn't magically going to go away in 3 months so I saw let people reopen IF they can do it safely.

I live in Ca and get what they are going for but some of the rules are dumb. Like you can go to the beach but not sit down, I could live with this if we had an end date.
But no its open to end whenever but to me this sounds like summer is just going to be cancelled for anything fun outside even if we could just have some rules made.

I'm not one of those Freedom people but I'm starting to understand them more as the leadership isn't leading its wanting Businesses to just fail, people to lose jobs and for this to just stretch on forever.

If a business can have people 6 feet apart, let them open. If a theme park is willing to make everyone wear masks and only let 30% in and clean everything let them. The situation isn't magically going to go away in 3 months so I saw let people reopen IF they can do it safely.

I think a lot of the frustration stems from everything appears to be actually very arbitrary. We are consistently not actually meeting the (strict, probably impossible to meet) criteria our governor laid out, yet we're still opening. That points to the grim reality that we are indeed prioritizing "restarting the economy/some semblance of normalcy," just like Florida, we're just... trying to look a little "better" or "smarter" doing it.

The reality is I don't think compliance gets better from here, it only gets worse. So case loads will likely stay pretty steady, meaning in theory, nothing more should open - yet I guarantee we'll see additional phased reopenings, just "slower" so we look "better."

I think a lot of the frustration stems from everything appears to be actually very arbitrary. We are consistently not actually meeting the (strict, probably impossible to meet) criteria our governor laid out, yet we're still opening. That points to the grim reality that we are indeed prioritizing "restarting the economy/some semblance of normalcy," just like Florida, we're just... trying to look a little "better" or "smarter" doing it.

The reality is I don't think compliance gets better from here, it only gets worse. So case loads will likely stay pretty steady, meaning in theory, nothing more should open - yet I guarantee we'll see additional phased reopenings, just "slower" so we look "better."
I read that criteria. It 'is totally unrealistic'. The disease, for all intents and purposes, would just about need to be completely wiped out, and stay wiped out. That's not going to happen, at this point in time. Just a bit of common sense would tell someone that.....and then the arbitrary part....seems like almost every state governor that shut down his/her state, has bent the rules so the big boxes can stay open, but the local small businesses were forced to close. That's not just arbitrary, it's capricious.

"66% of New York state coronavirus hospitalizations are people staying at HOME and NOT essential workers - which begs question: Does lockdown even work?"

"66% of New York state coronavirus hospitalizations are people staying at HOME and NOT essential workers - which begs question: Does lockdown even work?"

This is dumb. Those people didn't get the virus at home. The lockdowns were there to stop the exponential spread of the disease, which they did.

I do want to point out New York is not LA.

LA is spread out and most people drive themselves to work or out somewhere and aren't talking a cab/subway.

I'm once again not saying everything should just open but if you can open it and keep people apart and require face masks to enter, I'm not against people doing things.

Like the beach let people go and sit, enjoy the day not allowing it really wont help too much considering most cases aren't contracted from being outside.

Reactions: Andysol
Status
Not open for further replies.