Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 153 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep getting weirdly mixed signals from friends in the industry. Right now, I've been told that all small parks and attractions are ramping up and are simply waiting for the green light from the county, who has since deferred them to the state. Everything from Island H2O live to Fun Spot fits that description. However, the game gets a bit different when it comes to the big three. For the big three to open, one of them will have to be the first to pull off the band-aid. I personally doubt any band-aids get pulled before mid-June, and if we are looking at mid-June, it will be Universal or SeaWorld. The only question in my head is if SeaWorld still has enough market leverage to pull WDW and UOR out of hibernation.
To be honest, my educated guess is that we see smaller attractions/parks reopening late-May/early-June. By mid-June, testing starts at the Uni parks, signaling to other major players that it is time to get ready. By late June/early July we have our first park open, most likely a Uni park, but maybe SeaWorld, and then Disney isn't too far behind with the rollout of one or two parks.

If Sea World could do it and get even two weeks of "exclusivity" it would be a public relations coup. General pent-up demand combined with Orlando's "first" culture would get them all over local news as well as blogs and vlogs that never previously acknowledged they exist. Bring back fire sale prices on APs, you have all year to lure those APs back to see how cool your park can be.

Reactions: Clive and Mad Dog
I keep getting weirdly mixed signals from friends in the industry. Right now, I've been told that all small parks and attractions are ramping up and are simply waiting for the green light from the county, who has since deferred them to the state. Everything from Island H2O live to Fun Spot fits that description. However, the game gets a bit different when it comes to the big three. For the big three to open, one of them will have to be the first to pull off the band-aid. I personally doubt any band-aids get pulled before mid-June, and if we are looking at mid-June, it will be Universal or SeaWorld. The only question in my head is if SeaWorld still has enough market leverage to pull WDW and UOR out of hibernation.
To be honest, my educated guess is that we see smaller attractions/parks reopening late-May/early-June. By mid-June, testing starts at the Uni parks, signaling to other major players that it is time to get ready. By late June/early July we have our first park open, most likely a Uni park, but maybe SeaWorld, and then Disney isn't too far behind with the rollout of one or two parks.
I generally agree with you timeline here. I think Uni will have tests in June, and I would not be surprised to see a soft opening around the end of the month either.

Reactions: Frogki
Looking at some of these clips/pics/videos:

Why are some of these people out there?!?! Why are the at-risk people not protecting themselves and staying home?!?!

Like this:

Perfect example: the old lady with the walking stick. You should not be out!

Why is Voodoo (or universal) not making accommodations for this employee either? A buck ain’t worth your life! Companies should start implementing wellness programs of some sort so they can get their at-risk employees back on the lines.

I realize “mask off” douchebag generated the most buzz, but if/when he gets it; he likely doesn’t end up in a hospital and almost assuredly doesn’t end up dead unless he has a Pre-existing condition we’re unaware of.
But these two examples? The odds of hospitalization are high and the odds of death are far too high a risk than whatever enjoyment or pay they got from yesterday.

It saddens me.

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
While April retail sales were down a bit more than expected, the very important 'Consumer Sentiment' measurement came in at a much higher than expected 73.7....it was expected to be 65.0...........That's an important figure since it shows consumer confidence, which generally drives the US economy, is not as weak as analysts predicted.

While April retail sales were down a bit more than expected, the very important 'Consumer Sentiment' measurement came in at a much higher than expected 73.7....it was expected to be 65.0...........That's an important figure since it shows consumer confidence, which generally drives the US economy, is not as weak as analysts predicted.
Bit of a mixed result though, as "Consumer Expectations" fell to a 6 year low.

Basically stimulus checks worked in the short term to boost current sentiment, but people still don't have much faith in the future, which probably has more of an effect on vacation bookings.

Well I'm already having awful anxiety today so IDK why I watched that!!!

but now you know and can protect lol.
wash hands. wear gloves. avoid touching

the reason i posted was because of the parks possibly reopening

in this experiment in a room of 20-30 people, it took one to infect the whole room. iknow it sounds obvious, but the vid is a good visual representation.
seeing the experiment visually puts things in perspective.

but now you know and can protect lol.
wash hands. wear gloves. avoid touching

the reason i posted was because of the parks possibly reopening

in this experiment in a room of 20-30 people, it took one to infect the whole room. iknow it sounds obvious, but the vid is a good visual representation.
seeing the experiment visually puts things in perspective.
My hands are so dry lol after I touch ANYTHING outside of my apartment I wash my hands, without question. Its making me psychotic at this point if anything.

Bit of a mixed result though, as "Consumer Expectations" fell to a 6 year low.

Basically stimulus checks worked in the short term to boost current sentiment, but people still don't have much faith in the future, which probably has more of an effect on vacation bookings.
Chase came out and said credit card spend was down 40% Year over year March 1-April 11 and dropped off 8 times as much from the start of the pandemic.
So that lends true that a lot of the spend was “cash” (stimulus) and atypical.

Micechat seems to be the only place talking about this, and this part is good news at least to me.

Not Recommended Procedures

• Temperature checks are not recommended due to the inconsistent nature of readings, particularly in outdoor environments. Visitors with COVID-19 could be asymptomatic and have a normal body temperature. Some government agencies may nonetheless require temperature checks.
  • Protective gloves are not recommended due to their ability to spread germs and the false sense of security they create. Frequent hand washing is preferable.

Micechat seems to be the only place talking about this, and this part is good news at least to me.
Ugh. This all sounds so depressing.

Ugh. This all sounds so depressing.
Yes. To me that's so onerous that it's, for all intents and purposes, a Theme Park "Stay at Home" order for me. Hassle is not synonymous with vacation costs,fun and relaxation. ....I'm still basically a no show until park operations return to normal, at least when it comes to vacations. As I've said before though, for Florida local AP's who are going to pop into the parks for just a few hours, on a number of day trips, restrictions shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Disable every other toilet to maintain physical distancing protocols in restrooms.
They can’t be serious.
I’m hoping this is Urinals and not “toilets”. Every other “toilet” would be ridiculous.

I was hopeful that they would take measures that understand the inherent risk about going to the park. Only young, healthy people attend, etc. But as we saw from city walk, people still decide to drag along Great grandma with them.

If they had it where there would be a semblance of normalcy and a bit of risk tolerance knowing you’re at a theme park; And at-risk people would smartly stay away, I’d be more willing to go.
This just sounds miserable in almost every conceivable way. Especially when you risk killing these folks who go regardless of their risk levels.

They can’t be serious.
I’m hoping this is Urinals and not “toilets”. Every other “toilet” would be ridiculous.

I was hopeful that they would take measures that understand the inherent risk about going to the park. Only young, healthy people attend, etc. But as we saw from city walk, people still decide to drag along Great grandma with them.

If they had it where there would be a semblance of normalcy and a bit of risk tolerance knowing you’re at a theme park; And at-risk people would smartly stay away, I’d be more willing to go.
This just sounds miserable in almost every conceivable way. Especially when you risk killing these folks who go regardless of their risk levels.
Yeah, maybe thats what they will do. But to be fair with less crowds, do we need all toilets? Since the cleaning staff is going to have to clean each one maybe it just helps save them time if only half are open over the safely concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.