Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 155 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do want to point out New York is not LA.

LA is spread out and most people drive themselves to work or out somewhere and aren't talking a cab/subway.

I'm once again not saying everything should just open but if you can open it and keep people apart and require face masks to enter, I'm not against people doing things.

Like the beach let people go and sit, enjoy the day not allowing it really wont help too much considering most cases aren't contracted from being outside.

the article is just interesting on how big the number is, for people avoiding as much exposure as possible. i know its not exact science but its interesting to ponder

"66% of New York state coronavirus hospitalizations are people staying at HOME and NOT essential workers - which begs question: Does lockdown even work?"

This news was easily explained the other day in that the people that were staying at home had others that lived in the house who were still working, coming and going. Someone brought them food or they ran down to the corner market, right?

Reactions: Lucky Planet
This news was easily explained the other day in that the people that were staying at home had others that lived in the house who were still working, coming and going. Someone brought them food or they ran down to the corner market, right?

so regardless of closing up everything, food would still make you be in contact. food would always put people at risk, so would it had made a difference if restaurants opened earlier?

so regardless of closing up everything, food would still make you be in contact. food would always put people at risk, so would it had made a difference if restaurants opened earlier?
It is not the food but the increased points of contact to obtain the food that up your chances of getting enough viral load to cause infection. Early, late we still will spread it just need to do it slowly and keep it out of the nursing homes. 95% of deaths in Florida came from the 55+ population.

Reactions: RevFreako
Orlando Informer community on Facebook, is currently running a live cam at CitiWalk. Looks pretty slow today.Must have been mostly bloggers yesterday....Anyway, maybe they'll get busier next week once they open more restaurants.

I think most of those stay-at-home cases were down in NYC where you have apartments with hallways and elevators with buttons and lobbies with people. As great and wonderful as NYC is, it has an achilles heel in this instance... it’s a sardine can.

I think most of those stay-at-home cases were down in NYC where you have apartments with hallways and elevators with buttons and lobbies with people. As great and wonderful as NYC is, it has an achilles heel in this instance... it’s a sardine can.
Yes. And probably a ton in that crammed Queens 6 block area where earlier they said that 20% of the city's deaths came from. Multi generational families, mostly poor immigrants, living in studio and 1 bedroom apartments. There's also one huge population neighborhood where the residents of a certain closed group refuse social distancing and have continued to hold mass street funerals and large weddings. That, by city accounts, is where the second most deaths have occurred.

the article is just interesting on how big the number is, for people avoiding as much exposure as possible. i know its not exact science but its interesting to ponder
I'm sure many were but I also know many kinda...."lie" about it. I know people at work going out and learning to surf right now, to hanging out with others because they are have some form of depression and have to see people and even someone at my work who went on a date before all this and now is living at the guys place on weekends.

So I think people say they are not making much contact but in reality are, similar to how people said in polls they would not vote for Trump but did just didn't want anyone judging them for personal choices that might not make them look favorable.

I'm sure many were but I also know many kinda...."lie" about it. I know people at work going out and learning to surf right now, to hanging out with others because they are have some form of depression and have to see people and even someone at my work who went on a date before all this and now is living at the guys place on weekends.

So I think people say they are not making much contact but in reality are, similar to how people said in polls they would not vote for Trump but did just didn't want anyone judging them for personal choices that might not make them look favorable.
Yes, It's pretty much accepted that there's an expectation bias in certain types of phone surveys. People often answer according to what they think would be an acceptable answer in relation to societal norms. So that bias especially pops up in matters of health, safety, race relations etc. and the interviewer doesn't get a true answer, they get what the respondent thinks they want to hear...Examples; *Question: Do you believe people should put working and making money before health & safety concerns? Odds are the respondent will almost always answer health concerns, whether he/she actually believes that or not...* Are you a racist? Nearly everyone will answer no, whether they are or not........and that's one of the problems with national phone surveys that generally only interview 500 to 1,000 people. They're not all that accurate when it comes to certain types of questions.

Last edited:
Yes, It's pretty much accepted that there's an expectation bias in certain types of phone surveys. People often answer according to what they think would be an acceptable answer in relation to societal norms. So that bias especially pops up in matters of health, safety, race relations etc. and the interviewer doesn't get a true answer, they get what the respondent thinks they want to hear...Examples; *Question: Do you believe people should put working and making money before health & safety concerns? Odds are the respondent will almost answer health concerns, whether he/she actually believes that or not...* Are you a racist? Nearly everyone will answer no, whether they are or not........and that's one of the problems with national phone surveys that generally only interview 500 to 1,000 people. They're not all that accurate when it comes to certain types of questions.

Look at what people do, not what they say.

I've felt for a while that the polling info on the popularity of lockdowns is skewed based on what I'm seeing with my own eyes here in LA.

Look at what people do, not what they say.

I've felt for a while that the polling info on the popularity of lockdowns is skewed based on what I'm seeing with my own eyes here in LA.
It seems like about every time a lock down is lifted, people flee their homes, like it's a jail break. :lol: Similar here. national polling says one thing, the polls in the local newspapers , though unscientific, generally say the complete opposite. And those polls have been getting big numbers of respondents, anywhere from 10,000 to 48000 generally. I'll take the local unscientific polls with the large numbers over the national polls, that might not even had a respondent, from our area, any day. Seeing, is believing. Busy day out there here today with the lockdown finally lifted.

Can an outdoor bar operate in Florida now? If they took the upper club tier at Citywalk and moved tables onto half the whole walkway spaced apart, might that work?
They have to get more than 50% of their sales from food to be open right now. I was in an indoor bar the other day, I was there to get a burger but while the tables were spaced they were full of people drinking not eating. They would greet friends as they came in then they would sit at the same table together.
Second wave incoming!

Last edited:
They have to get more than 50% of their sales from food to be open right now. I was in an indoor bar the other day, I was there to get a burger but while the tables were spaced they were full of people drinking not eating. They would greet friends as they came in then they would sit at the same table together.
Second wave incoming!

Sounds like such an easy loophole to get around.

Buy a burger, get a beer for 1c.

Orlando Informer community on Facebook, is currently running a live cam at CitiWalk. Looks pretty slow today.Must have been mostly bloggers yesterday....Anyway, maybe they'll get busier next week once they open more restaurants.

Orlando's "First" culture isn't just bloggers, but I agree with your general point. Opening day here or at Springs or at the parks is always going to be busiest. Cf. Galaxy's Edge. Forecasted rainy night as well (and thankfully we got some).

But also, unless they're already in the parks, CityWalk doesn't really pull in locals the way Springs does. Decades of parking hassles have affected local preferences, it's not seen as a dining destination in and of itself.

Interesting to hear about USH’s VIP plan. All of my concert tickets through the end of October for shows in LA have been canceled or rescheduled, with Coachella being the only hold out. Can’t imagine that going forward. Based on LA’s concert cancelations, I don’t foresee West Coast parks reopening even in the fall.

• Sad
Reactions: Lucky Planet
Status
Not open for further replies.