Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 202 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think that it's possible that we don't see any new movies in theaters until sometime around October or November, if not until next year at a worst case scenario. But I have heavy doubt that these movies will be playing in August as of now.

As a lifelong movie buff and someone who used to work at a studio in the industry....this really bums me out, but I have to agree.

Reactions: Grabnar
As a lifelong movie buff and someone who used to work at a studio in the industry....this really bums me out, but I have to agree.
I feel like eventually one of these film studios is going to bite the bullet and put one of these big blockbusters on PVOD (like a Mulan or Tenet level film rather than a Trolls level)

Reactions: HalfGlass
I feel like eventually one of these film studios is going to bite the bullet and put one of these big blockbusters on PVOD (like a Mulan or Tenet level film rather than a Trolls level)
Totally agree. If they could a pay option to Disney+ allowing us to pay $5/10 for a new film (Mulan/Widow) then surely they'd still make a lot of money?

Totally agree. If they could a pay option to Disney+ allowing us to pay $5/10 for a new film (Mulan/Widow) then surely they'd still make a lot of money?
Well that's the thing, PVOD is untested for movies of this caliber. But if the bet was successful (and remember a film doesn't necessarily have to make as much money on PVOD as in theaters since there's no profit sharing with the theaters), then I would imagine it would justify continued shifts away from theatrical distribution as a model.

But again, it's untested territory and a film studio would be making a big risk making that move.

I think due to contracts with actors/companies, agreements with IPs, production timeline issues and so forth, we will definitely see a studio release on PVOD, if only to avoid backlogging future projects.

If I had to venture a guess, I think Mulan would be the film to do so, but I could see it being New Mutants if Disney‘s apprehensive about the move.

I don’t understand this at all either. I drop a ton of cash to Amazon to rent individual movies. HBO has one or two films/series that I would be happy to pay to watch... but I am not getting a membership to their limited library of some of the crappiest movies ever made. Same with Netflix and Hulu and the others.

Give me individual purchases!

They won't drop Mulan on VOD, the only way that it makes any money back is with the Chinese audience, especially with all of the xenophobia and racism due to the coronavirus which will limit Western sales.

My bets on first to crack are New Mutants and Bill and Ted, personally.

Now this depends on things getting more under control by the EOY, but take a look at this list; anything Paramount or Lionsgate has a pretty solid shot at getting VOD just due to financials. Universal's got a 50-50 shot if they feel like it's worth it to drop. Warner Brothers is the only studio that I don't see dropping anything. They MIGHT release the new Conjuring, but most of their other movies are being billed as prestige CINEMA movies and I don't see them being premiered on VOD.

They won't drop Mulan on VOD, the only way that it makes any money back is with the Chinese audience, especially with all of the xenophobia and racism due to the coronavirus which will limit Western sales.

My bets on first to crack are New Mutants and Bill and Ted, personally.

Now this depends on things getting more under control by the EOY, but take a look at this list; anything Paramount or Lionsgate has a pretty solid shot at getting VOD just due to financials. Universal's got a 50-50 shot if they feel like it's worth it to drop. Warner Brothers is the only studio that I don't see dropping anything. They MIGHT release the new Conjuring, but most of their other movies are being billed as prestige CINEMA movies and I don't see them being premiered on VOD.
Lionsgate for sure. Their big profit generator has always been their Home Entertainment sector, even during normal times.

Reactions: Clive and Grabnar
To bring up, creditor's are paging the Cirque Du Soleil proposal of Bankruptcy protection to be a doomed prospect.

To bring up, creditor's are paging the Cirque Du Soleil proposal of Bankruptcy protection to be a doomed prospect.

I don't see how they make it through, other than maybe being able to get one show going again at best. This is a shame since Drawn to Life was literally just about to open before the shutdown. I have to think someone may buy out their brand name and try to rebuild them though if they ultimately do go under since Cirque has strong recognition and public opinion.

Vegas entertainment has been a mess lately and I heard Cirque wasn't gonna make it much longer at least in it's current form but I guess this is the nail in the coffin. Yes someone will buy for cheap though. I think netflix should. It would give them an entry into live entertainment and an anchor brand for possible future parks.
Yes. They were on shaky ground even before covid hit.

Pre-COVID, Cirque was already looking to drastically pull back on their number of shows. Personally, I see Cirque almost entirely leaving Vegas (maybe leaving O and/or Ka) and pulling back in a bunch of their touring productions. Luckily for Orlando, I doubt Disney will let Drawn to Life get pulled. I wouldn’t be shocked to see DtL be one of the few Cirque productions worldwide on the other side of this.

Reactions: Mad Dog
And what shape will Cirque performers be in a years time... *ponders*

fat-people.jpg

Last edited:
Cineplex, which is Canada’s largest movie chain is reopening select theatres in BC on July 3rd.

Looking at the seating at the one nearest me. The different screens they have range from 20-50 seats available to reserve, max.

Status
Not open for further replies.