Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 203 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In local news: Austin City Limits festival is officially cancelled for 2020

After Coachella et al it was only a matter of time, I don't know anyone who was legitimately thinking that it would go on in October.

Vegas entertainment has been a mess lately and I heard Cirque wasn't gonna make it much longer at least in it's current form but I guess this is the nail in the coffin. Yes someone will buy for cheap though. I think netflix should. It would give them an entry into live entertainment and an anchor brand for possible future parks.

There is so much shady dealings going on just now. I wouldn't call it a theme park but my local park put themselves into administration, couldn't pay any of their staff a few months wages, fired everybody and then sold the company to another family member for pennies and they're now reopening exactly as it was before minus any debt and not having to pay any wages.

I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happens to Cirque.

Here they play old movies and it's a blast. Last week Back to the Future! It was great to see again on the big screen :heart:
Is it just like an independent/local theater?
Some Cinemarks in our area have been open a couple weeks now. I’ve seen Jaws and Space Jam. Looking forward to seeing Jurassic Park next week.

Im not sure how long it’s going to last though, as I’ve been in an empty theater once and the “Crowded” one had maybe 12-14 people in it (4 diff groups). All assigned seats with recliners and loads of spacing. I think it’s $4/ticket and large popcorn is $4 also.

I assumed they were opening to get their staff and hiring/training up to par for reopen, but with the dates getting pushed back, who knows.

Reactions: Grabnar and Mad Dog
Some Cinemarks in our area have been open a couple weeks now. I’ve seen Jaws and Space Jam. Looking forward to seeing Jurassic Park next week.

Im not sure how long it’s going to last though, as I’ve been in an empty theater once and the “Crowded” one had maybe 12-14 people in it (4 diff groups). All assigned seats with recliners and loads of spacing. I think it’s $4/ticket and large popcorn is $4 also.

I assumed they were opening to get their staff and hiring/training up to par for reopen, but with the dates getting pushed back, who knows.
An old college story.....School (Slippery Rock University) was in a very small town, just a couple of pizza places, a small movie theater, and a few small stores. All just a few blocks from our townhouse across from the campus. No bars at the time since it was a 'dry' town back then. Saturday night and it was snowing hard. We called the theater to see what time the movie was starting. Their reply, "What time can you get here?" ....So the four of us walked down, and they started the movie once we were seated in the otherwise empty theater....This new reality reminds me of that good old memory.

More California news coming in hot!
Effective immediately, California is instructing certain sectors to close indoor operations for all counties that have been on the state's watch list for three consecutive days. The affected sectors are: restaurants, wineries, movie theaters, family entertainment centers, zoos, museums and cardrooms. Those businesses can still operate outdoors.

More California news coming in hot!

I hope it works but honestly if it does, then I guess its back to things being closed again and me wondering without a huge bail out how most local business are going to survive

I can understand the view of those who think we should open things now. I also understand the view of those who think things should stay closed until a vaccine. However opening anytime between those two extremes is just an arbitrary date that a politician pulls out of their butt.

Just curious to see what the current prices on hotels in Orlando are for late July. Shocked to see that the Waldorf Astoria is less than half the price of Royal Pacific right now.

Waldorf charges a $45 resort fee and $40 for parking. Enforcement of parking fees at Universal hotels has been......... lax.
I have literally paid around or less than those fees per night to walk/uber to universal/ pay the parking fee at disney to stay offsite. Disney in particular has kneecapped transport and raised prices so bad I would rather uber everywhere and stay at an offsite place at the same out the door price. It would be way more convenient. Whenever I hear people saying "we gotta get the minnie van" I question why they are even on site at all.

Reactions: Andysol
But is Hollywood Citywalk staying open? Is just Buca going to close? And I know they just opened Antojitos... are they only seating the exterior area?

And to me, it was unclear if things like non-food stores (Macy's and the like) or hair salons are included in the shut down.

Also, testing is really filling up in LA. I had a slight fever and cough earlier this week, tried to sign up for a test, and discovered the are ALL full for the rest of this week. Every single location. Both the city and CVS locations. Even the doctor didn't believe me, left, returned and said increduouly... "You're right... they're all gone!" So good luck with that. I ended up going to an emergency room, and they also refused to test me because my fever wasn't high enough (has to be more than 100.4)... but "fortunately", they found a sinus infection, so it may be just that. Still kinda scary though, that I can't get a test anytime soon. :eek:O:

Reactions: GA-MBIT
But is Hollywood Citywalk staying open? Is just Buca going to close? And I know they just opened Antojitos... are they only seating the exterior area?

And to me, it was unclear if things like non-food stores (Macy's and the like) or hair salons are included in the shut down.

Also, testing is really filling up in LA. I had a slight fever and cough earlier this week, tried to sign up for a test, and discovered the are ALL full for the rest of this week. Every single location. Both the city and CVS locations. Even the doctor didn't believe me, left, returned and said increduouly... "You're right... they're all gone!" So good luck with that. I ended up going to an emergency room, and they also refused to test me because my fever wasn't high enough (has to be more than 100.4)... but "fortunately", they found a sinus infection, so it may be just that. Still kinda scary though, that I can't get a test anytime soon. :eek:O:
That's not good, I'm sure we will see a small spike in two weeks from the fourth so hope by then its easier to get tests again

Disney’s going to suspend the College Program for Fall as well. Makes sense considering how many employees they already have on the payroll that will be desperate for hours. And they probably don’t want a bunch of kids together since that’s how this has spread.

Disney’s going to suspend the College Program for Fall as well. Makes sense considering how many employees they already have on the payroll that will be desperate for hours. And they probably don’t want a bunch of kids together since that’s how this has spread.

Was wondering how this would pan out - would they take the good corporate citizen route and employ local people in those spots or go the exploitive corporation route and cram a bunch of college kids into dorms and take back 75% of their paychecks.

This is the equivalent of thousands of jobs for locals who will spend the money in a broader swath of the local economy. Not amazing news, but better than nothing.

:thumbsup: excellent analysis....and so true.

Status
Not open for further replies.