Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 217 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If all of this comes to pass, have we discussed what the Oscars could be like? What exceptions they’d make and how terrible of a selection there will likely be?
It would take a lot to be worst than their selections of the last decade or two. I think the Golden Globes probably do a better job now. The Academy has gotten way too political.

I believe it is the deals w/ the theatres that has stopped releases no?

Driving about today I saw a small concert (must have been yesterday) in a field where everyone was in their car. I recall folks watching movies via generators on the side of their homes after a hurricane had had power out for a long spell.

Why can't the theaters figure a way for make shift drive inns as a means to help each other out (the city via tax revenue, the theater chain via some sort of consessions, and the studios)? In would at least start to move something?

Just my thoughts on new movies for this summer (if I ran the zoo).

Reactions: Mad Dog
Disney is looking to West side Story as a “Greatest Showman” or “Poppins Returns” style musical with legs that can be released into theaters and bring in a decent amount overtime. It is supposed to be one of the Fox wing’s biggest pictures of the year.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Honestly, it feels like if the New Mutants doesn't get released as a VOD, nothing will. I mean, at some point they have to prove that movie actually exists and wasn't just some kind of big "Producers" style scam!

Reactions: Grabnar
If all of this comes to pass, have we discussed what the Oscars could be like? What exceptions they’d make and how terrible of a selection there will likely be?
Disney should push all the last 4 Clone Wars Episodes and make it a "movie" it would easily win best animated film and Hamilton is the second best film I've seen besides that.

I feel Sonic and Onwards were fine but nothing for the Oscars, and need to watch Palm Springs but most other films I saw like Harley Quinn would maybe win makeup, Capone could get Tom Hardy a best actor award, and The Way back could I don't know win something too. But nothing has really come out movie wise that is eligible to win that should really win best picture.

Contenders for top awards imo. Almost everything I listed has yet to be released.
- Da 5 Bloods (Netflix)
- The Way Back (WB)
- Emma. (Universal)
- The Invisible Man (Universal) - For Best Actress
- Tenet (WB)
- The Last Duel (Fox)
- The French Dispatch (Searchlight)
- West Side Story (Fox)
- Stillwater (Focus)
- The Father (Lionsgate)
- Respect (MGM)
- News of the World (Universal)
- The Comeback Trail (Cloudburst)
- Let Him Go (Focus)
- Minari (A24)
- The 40-Year Old Version (Netflix)
- Promising Young Women (Focus)
- Ammonite (Neon)

Best Animated:
- Trolls World Tour
- Soul
- Scoob
- Onward
- Sonic (does this count as an animated movie?)

I can see Palm Springs getting a nom for Comedy or Musical. But at this point, Da 5 Bloods is it.
Palm Springs was absolutely great for it's genre.

A tale of two worlds, right next to each other;
*LA school Districts will not open to students. Virtual learning only
*Orange County California, where Disneyland is located; School Board just voted to reopen the schools. No masks or social distancing will be required.
......the world is crazy right now....no general consensus out there at all.... it's like a tug of war.

Reactions: Andysol
*Orange County California, where Disneyland is located; School Board just voted to reopen the schools. No masks or social distancing will be required.
the world is crazy right now....no general consensus out there at all.
I mean Orange County is California Trump Country, so this comes as no surprise

Reactions: RevFreako
I mean Orange County is California Trump Country, so this comes as no surprise
No doubt. Just a nearly perfect example to show the divide...............and another topic..... Wash. Post ...."NY on Tuesday started requiring travelers from 19 states (Florida is one of those) flagged for high coroavirus spread, to share personal information and travel plans at airports-or face a $2,000 fine"

Last edited:
Best Animated:
- Trolls World Tour
- Soul
- Scoob
- Onward

I don't know if the Willoughbys got a theatrical release, but if that becomes eligible, then it'll replace Sonic and become the frontrunner should Soul get pushed to 2021.

Contenders for top awards imo. Almost everything I listed has yet to be released.
- Da 5 Bloods (Netflix)
- The Way Back (WB)
- Emma. (Universal)
- The Invisible Man (Universal) - For Best Actress
- Tenet (WB)
- The Last Duel (Fox)
- The French Dispatch (Searchlight)
- West Side Story (Fox)
- Stillwater (Focus)
- The Father (Lionsgate)
- Respect (MGM)
- News of the World (Universal)
- The Comeback Trail (Cloudburst)
- Let Him Go (Focus)
- Minari (A24)
- The 40-Year Old Version (Netflix)
- Promising Young Women (Focus)
- Ammonite (Neon)

Best Animated:
- Trolls World Tour
- Soul
- Scoob
- Onward

Thanks for the list!

Wow. Just the fact that most of it isn't released proves just how weak the class is. It's all hanging on potential. Greyhound will probably make the list there as well. Getting a name like Hanks in there in some way is always a benefit to the Academy.

Thanks for the list!

Wow. Just the fact that most of it isn't released proves just how weak the class is. It's all hanging on potential. Greyhound will probably make the list there as well. Getting a name like Hanks in there in some way is always a benefit to the Academy.
Hanks is in News of the World, too.

Reactions: Andysol
......the world is crazy right now....no general consensus out there at all.... it's like a tug of war.
I wonder if this is soooooo Disney can reopen sooner than later. I know it won't now but they might think if Schools are open that means theme parks should be too.....jokes on them when cases go up after school's open and then disney will have to wait longer

I wonder if this is soooooo Disney can reopen sooner than later. I know it won't now but they might think if Schools are open that means theme parks should be too.....jokes on them when cases go up after school's open and then disney will have to wait longer
That's false logic. While schooling can be done virtually, it's still essential whether you agree with in-person classes or not. Disney is not essential and Newsom just went back to Phase 1.

You need to start making peace with the fact that theme parks may not reopen until sometime this fall or later. Not trying to be a downer, but a realist.

That's false logic. While schooling can be done virtually, it's still essential whether you agree with in-person classes or not. Disney is not essential and Newsom just went back to Phase 1.

You need to start making peace with the fact that theme parks may not reopen until sometime this fall or later. Not trying to be a downer, but a realist.
I'm just saying what else kinda logic could this school system have?

LA isn't going to have students come back into classes but 30 miles up the Freeway its ok? Just doesn't make sense unless leaders there are trying to make it "normal" and then they can open things like Disneyland.

I also think its going to bite them in the butt and make it take longer now to get things back to normal in that area.

Guys, some non-essential activities can be done (relatively) safely based on what we know about transmission. Other more essential activities, like schools, are more dangerous because they require prolonged exposure indoors.

Reactions: Nick
I'm just saying what else kinda logic could this school system have?

LA isn't going to have students come back into classes but 30 miles up the Freeway its ok? Just doesn't make sense unless leaders there are trying to make it "normal" and then they can open things like Disneyland.

I also think its going to bite them in the butt and make it take longer now to get things back to normal in that area.
I do agree that it could set them back as it may cause further outbreak and LA County is doing the smarter thing. Isn't Orange a bit more Conservative? That would make sense for why they want in-person classes.

Guys, some non-essential activities can be done (relatively) safely based on what we know about transmission. Other more essential activities, like schools, are more dangerous because they require prolonged exposure indoors.
Yeah, i'd actually rather be at WDW or UOR based on their procedures than inside a school for 8 hours, 5 days a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.