Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 243 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wish drive ins were more popular/sustainable. Between that/VOD $$$ maybe they're profits to be made, but I know its unlikely. Im finally venturing out to my first Drive in this weekend (depending on the showings) and am interested in the experience. Masks are required even when ordering outside but the bathrooms is/has been my main concern and why I haven't gone yet as its 30 min away from me.

I just wish drive ins were more popular/sustainable. Between that/VOD $$$ maybe they're profits to be made, but I know its unlikely. Im finally venturing out to my first Drive in this weekend (depending on the showings) and am interested in the experience. Masks are required even when ordering outside but the bathrooms is/has been my main concern and why I haven't gone yet as its 30 min away from me.
If it's the one I'm thinking of, you'll love it. The screen wasn't great, but unless it's a huge effects blockbuster you're good.

Don't you mean "to Gadot"?

@Brian G. I know threatening violence against posters in a violation of the rules, but I'm begging you to make an exception. :)

• Haha
Reactions: GAcoaster
Drive ins are enjoyable and were a really big deal when I was young. But the main reason they disappeared is that the real estate they sat on became many many times more valuable than the profits the movie business could generate. That
situation has not changed, and probably never will.

Movie theaters will not recover until it is (relatively) safe to go to one. Right now, they are not safe. They will not be safe until the pandemic is under control or the virus is mostly eliminated.
Yeah, the only comparable industry where you're spending potentially hours indoors with people that you don't know is the night club industry, which ironically is more dangerous bc of the P2P contact but is coming back faster, but that's also something where you can just leave whenever you want really. You're in for 2.5 hours for Tenet. Studies show the longer you are in contact with someone who is exposed, the more likely you are of getting COVID and the more likely of your COVID being worse if you are around a lot of strangers to you for a prolonged period of time.

Even though you may be distanced, a theater is circulating air and there's a much higher chance of you contracting the virus if you are in there with a Covid-positive person for 2.5 hours than even if you were just doing something outside for the night.

While we will see less theaters in someway they will come back..someone will buy up the theaters and use them.

Also I said this before the good news about movies being smaller budgets like Mando, is they have to focus on story, characters of the storytelling. No more crappy Star Wars where they rely on CGI to save the day, time for story telling to make a comeback.

While we will see less theaters in someway they will come back..someone will buy up the theaters and use them.

Also I said this before the good news about movies being smaller budgets like Mando, is they have to focus on story, characters of the storytelling. No more crappy Star Wars where they rely on CGI to save the day, time for story telling to make a comeback.

Yeah the pandemic might lead to an (even greater) increase of streaming services might allow for increased creativity. Really the only reason I want theaters to survive, and I do, is because of people's jobs.

Yeah the pandemic might lead to an (even greater) increase of streaming services might allow for increased creativity. Really the only reason I want theaters to survive, and I do, is because of people's jobs.
Same

Though as much as I don't think you have to see movies in theaters to enjoy them, I used to go alot because of moviepass/AMC a-list and would not mind havign another summer of me seeing a movie in Citywalk and walking into USH and having no lines for the last hours of the park being open and doing that.

Movie theatres will return one day to what we knew them as, but, they’ll likely be local theatres, one major chain across the US, or studio theatres. That’s how I see the movie theatre model moving forward. They won’t go away it’s a multi-billion industry but there’s no doubt that due to Covid it may be adjusting or changing its future model more than others.

Dune is one of the big releases still up for a December release until today. I wonder if WB is still hoping Wonder Woman will come out this year.
Should be noted that WB just delayed Dune to The Batman's date of 10/1/21. That means The Batman is changing dates again.

GLOW Season 4 cancelled:

Should be noted that WB just delayed Dune to The Batman's date of 10/1/21. That means The Batman is changing dates again.

GLOW Season 4 cancelled:

And the bat signal will stay dark a little bit longer as it's pushed back to March 4, 2022.

Other delays:
The Flash goes back 5 months to Nov. 4, 2022
Shazam 2 goes into 2023 to June 2, 2023

Fans of The rock will be sad to hear Black Adam is off the release calendar completely from its original Dec. 22, 2021 date.

But Wonder Woman is still on for 12/25.

Note: I wonder if the forum has the ability to build a wiki into this thread to show major movies and their scheduled release dates.

I'm glad Video games aren't affected like movies

My god the studios won't give us anything until mid next year (yeah yeah March my butt, they will put films out after most people have a vaccine so mid next year)
Insane they are just fine with moving movies back 1-2 years and still maybe not make the money back. I think spending will be down still after all this, so while they will make more is it worth the film not out for years?

I'm glad Video games aren't affected like movies

My god the studios won't give us anything until mid next year (yeah yeah March my butt, they will put films out after most people have a vaccine so mid next year)
Insane they are just fine with moving movies back 1-2 years and still maybe not make the money back. I think spending will be down still after all this, so while they will make more is it worth the film not out for years?
The losses they would be taking on these films by releasing them now is why studios are comfortable pushing these back. Tenet only barely making $300M WW (more worrisome, only $45M domestically) and taking over $200M in losses is a HUGE scare for the industry.

The video game industry is an at home industry so obviously there would be no change in releasing games. However, we may run into times where there are fewer Triple-A titles being released for long stretches of time coming up as developing a game from home takes a lot more time than working in the studio.

I just assume nothing's coming out till this virus is over. I don't expect any major movies till summer of next year.
Yeah, i'm about here too. It's not even about theaters being open as we saw. People have to feel comfortable going to the theaters again, and I don't think that will happen until we have a vaccine frankly.

The losses they would be taking on these films by releasing them now is why studios are comfortable pushing these back. Tenet only barely making $300M WW (more worrisome, only $45M domestically) and taking over $200M in losses is a HUGE scare for the industry.

The video game industry is an at home industry so obviously there would be no change in releasing games. However, we may run into times where there are fewer Triple-A titles being released for long stretches of time coming up as developing a game from home takes a lot more time than working in the studio.

Yeah, i'm about here too. It's not even about theaters being open as we saw. People have to feel comfortable going to the theaters again, and I don't think that will happen until we have a vaccine frankly.
If that happens which I don't see happening with game sells up and the PS5/Xbox sold out and Switch was sold out for 1/2 the year.

I mean maybe some games get pushed back but most major games are selling well.

I guess but look at the MCU, you can't make anything else until Black Widow is out...or DC with its films. Seems to me like your losing lots of money for not biting the bullet now. You can't sell new merch, and there is no way to know if even next summer will be good.I guess they can just keep pushes them back but Theaters might not be ready even then to make Studios the money back

If that happens which I don't see happening with game sells up and the PS5/Xbox sold out and Switch was sold out for 1/2 the year.

I guess but look at the MCU, you can't make anything else until Black Widow is out...or DC with its films. Seems to me like your losing lots of money for not biting the bullet now. You can't sell new merch, and there is no way to know if even next summer will be good.I guess they can just keep pushes them back but Theaters might not be ready even then to make Studios the money back
Dude, some people who preordered PS5's are already being told they won't get them until 2021. I'm fairly sure that's probably due to slower manufacturing due to COVID. That's an effect just right there.

As far as the MCU and DCEU? Oh well. If you want those to continue, they need to MAKE MONEY. Disney and WB aren't just making these films for fun. They need to make money on these movies in order to afford to keep making more movies. The studios are making these movies on borrowed money basically, based partly on how much the film is supposed to make in return.

For example: Say I was an investor in you selling T-shirts and gave you $200 and you told me you would bring me back $1,000 in revenue at the end of the work day (I gave you a certain %) and you did that everyday for 12 years. Now, all of a sudden, there's an issue and you can't sell T-shirts right now. That's fine. I don't want my money going to waste, right? So as the investor, I would only want you selling T-shirts again once you could get at least somewhere around $600-800 on my $200. It's not $1,000, but at least it wouldn't be a loss.

You see how this works?

Reactions: SeventyOne
I just assume nothing's coming out till this virus is over. I don't expect any major movies till summer of next year.

The problem I see with the virus being over is that there is never going to be a singular moment when everybody decides it's time. At the start of this, everybody was predicting a U graph with a quick slow down of people going out and a quick return to normal. This is going to take a while to get back to normal and will be gradual, studios at some point are going to have to take a risk and put a big movie out but they know that things should improve from that moment.

If somebody offered you $1 million today or $10 million next year, what would you take?

Reactions: youhow2 and Nick
Status
Not open for further replies.