Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 244 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im at 2022 for movies. No one anywhere is predicting a widely spread vaccine by next summer, almost everyone says at least until fall 2021 it wont be widely available. Dr. Fauci has said late 2022 until we can go to a theater comfortably without a mask, and that is if we are on track.

Considering our President has Covid and doesn't even wear a mask, I suspect America is in for it here, and we deserve it. I don't see things changing here in America until a vaccine is widely available which is not for at least another year. Movie Theaters are in major trouble, blockbusters will break and go to VOD for this Xmas. Id be shocked if at least 1 doesn't as I just don't foresee large box office numbers until 2022. Its not like people are gonna rush back once they re-open, and in my eyes, if ever, we're at least a decade away from another billion dollar film. It just isn't looking good for indoor activities. Show me every study that other countries are able to do it, and you're right, but This Is America.

Dude, some people who preordered PS5's are already being told they won't get them until 2021. I'm fairly sure that's probably due to slower manufacturing due to COVID. That's an effect just right there.

As far as the MCU and DCEU? Oh well. If you want those to continue, they need to MAKE MONEY. Disney and WB aren't just making these films for fun. They need to make money on these movies in order to afford to keep making more movies. The studios are making these movies on borrowed money basically, based partly on how much the film is supposed to make in return.

For example: Say I was an investor in you selling T-shirts and gave you $200 and you told me you would bring me back $1,000 in revenue at the end of the work day (I gave you a certain %) and you did that everyday for 12 years. Now, all of a sudden, there's an issue and you can't sell T-shirts right now. That's fine. I don't want my money going to waste, right? So as the investor, I would only want you selling T-shirts again once you could get at least somewhere around $600-800 on my $200. It's not $1,000, but at least it wouldn't be a loss.

You see how this works?
Sure but if you have no Theaters in 2022 because the studios let them die....then you make no money EVER.

Sometimes you've got to eat the costs to survive another day and since Mulan failed Disney seems to need theaters.

Maybe they will get bailed out with a Dem in power which is what Disney and other studios are hoping for...but its all guess work. If studios released one film people wanted a month theaters would hurt but live on. So far they gave us Tenet which I will argue isn't like the MCU or DC comic movie films which have a big base that will see it no matter what. But since they wont release these films we will never know what a Bond or MCU movie with a base that has generational support makes.

The switch was sold out for half the year and its an old system because people want to game, I guess Covid is the reason for it but I think even if they doubled how many PS5s there were it would still be sold out because its the hottest new item of the year.

Im at 2022 for movies. No one anywhere is predicting a widely spread vaccine by next summer, almost everyone says at least until fall 2021 it wont be widely available. Dr. Fauci has said late 2022 until we can go to a theater comfortably without a mask, and that is if we are on track.

Considering our President has Covid and doesn't even wear a mask, I suspect America is in for it here, and we deserve it. I don't see things changing here in America until a vaccine is widely available which is not for at least another year. Movie Theaters are in major trouble, blockbusters will break and go to VOD for this Xmas. Id be shocked if at least 1 doesn't as I just don't foresee large box office numbers until 2022. Its not like people are gonna rush back once they re-open, and in my eyes, if ever, we're at least a decade away from another billion dollar film. It just isn't looking good for indoor activities. Show me every study that other countries are able to do it, and you're right, but This Is America.
Why are people liking this? The press has called him out on this for months America doesn't deserve this a few idiots can ruin it for the rest of us but most people I know wear mask and in CA anyway people wear them everywhere even hiking.

Sure but if you have no Theaters in 2022 because the studios let them die....then you make no money EVER.

It's a cliche at this point but theaters are definitely Too Big to Fail. They will either get outright acquired for pennies on the dollar by every deep-pocket tech industry company or will get bailed out by banks or the government in exchange for equity. That's also neglecting the ties between Hollywood and the US government, foremost of the bunch Steven Mnuchin.

Production studios, particularly independent ones, are more likely to die imo; the costs of coronavirus testing for continued production are considerable and they're much smaller fish than the theaters.

Sometimes you've got to eat the costs to survive another day and since Mulan failed Disney seems to need theaters.

Maybe they will get bailed out with a Dem in power which is what Disney and other studios are hoping for...but its all guess work. If studios released one film people wanted a month theaters would hurt but live on. So far they gave us Tenet which I will argue isn't like the MCU or DC comic movie films which have a big base that will see it no matter what. But since they wont release these films we will never know what a Bond or MCU movie with a base that has generational support makes.

The switch was sold out for half the year and its an old system because people want to game, I guess Covid is the reason for it but I think even if they doubled how many PS5s there were it would still be sold out because its the hottest new item of the year.

Why are people liking this? The press has called him out on this for months America doesn't deserve this a few idiots can ruin it for the rest of us but most people I know wear mask and in CA anyway people wear them everywhere even hiking.
Glad you see people wearing them, but do you see our infection numbers compared to the world? We aren't handling this well or wearing our masks. Large population out there who don't and won't. We deserve this cause we elected this person and now are dealing with the consequences of those votes, because, elections have consequences.

It's a cliche at this point but theaters are definitely Too Big to Fail. They will either get outright acquired for pennies on the dollar by every deep-pocket tech industry company or will get bailed out by banks or the government in exchange for equity. That's also neglecting the ties between Hollywood and the US government, foremost of the bunch Steven Mnuchin.

Production studios, particularly independent ones, are more likely to die imo; the costs of coronavirus testing for continued production are considerable and they're much smaller fish than the theaters.
I mean I also doubt all theaters will go away...but I would think about 1/4-1/2 of them going away will also really hurt the bottom end on movies.

Its still worth noting we have yet to see one really big film enter theaters with a fan base, even Onward earlier this year was getting very poor reviews. So I would love to ssee the numbers for Wonder Woman or Black Widow

Its still worth noting we have yet to see one really big film enter theaters with a fan base, even Onward earlier this year was getting very poor reviews. So I would love to ssee the numbers for Wonder Woman or Black Widow

Christopher Nolan is a bankable name at the box office and Tenet crashed and burned. People aren't going to go to the theaters until COVID is under control.

Christopher Nolan is a bankable name at the box office and Tenet crashed and burned. People aren't going to go to the theaters until COVID is under control.

Idk, the point about reviews that Jerro made is sorta valid. Tenet was received rather tepidly and Nolan's non-batman oriented fanbase, while vocal, isn't indicative of the GP's movie tastes. Disclaimer: I haven't seen Tenet, but my friends that went to go see it all came out pretty lukewarm and confused. It's not a pandemic movie, and none of the gritty, realistic, and outright dour films that are set to come out are either.

People want escapism right now, toss out a Captain America on PVOD or something lighthearted (like the new Wonder Woman?) and I think that you'd see much better results.

Idk, the point about reviews that Jerro made is sorta valid. Tenet was received rather tepidly and Nolan's non-batman oriented fanbase, while vocal, isn't indicative of the GP's movie tastes. Disclaimer: I haven't seen Tenet, but my friends that went to go see it all came out pretty lukewarm and confused. It's not a pandemic movie, and none of the gritty, realistic, and outright dour films that are set to come out are either.

Nolan's post-Batman sci fi films have made 700-ish million dollars or more. Interstellar had the same middling reviews and made that much. The idea that the GP doesn't show up for Christopher Nolan is just not true. Even Dunkirk made over 500 million dollars.

People want escapism right now, toss out a Captain America on PVOD or something lighthearted (like the new Wonder Woman?) and I think that you'd see much better results.

Also, we're talking theaters here, not VOD. I think WW would do decent on VOD, but the studios don't seem to want to even risk it

Nolan's post-Batman sci fi films have made 700-ish million dollars or more. Interstellar had the same middling reviews and made that much. The idea that the GP doesn't show up for Christopher Nolan is just not true. Even Dunkirk made over 500 million dollars.

Also, we're talking theaters here, not VOD. I think WW would do decent on VOD, but the studios don't seem to want to even risk it
Thats cool, people see his films

But its still not MCU, its just not. I want to see a big SERIES fail before theaters just not releasing films for two years. Bond, MCU and DC have many people who like old to new films from these series and while I'm not saying they will break the bank I bet they would get people's butts in seats...also NY and LA county need to open theaters to really see if movies can still make money. We have two of the largest markets still unable to see films

But its still not MCU, its just not. I want to see a big SERIES fail before theaters just not releasing films for two years. Bond, MCU and DC have many people who like old to new films from these series and while I'm not saying they will break the bank I bet they would get people's butts in seats...also NY and LA county need to open theaters to really see if movies can still make money. We have two of the largest markets still unable to see films

Distributors and WB thought the same thing about Tenet.

People aren't gonna go to the movies dude. It's just not gonna happen. If the studios thought people were gonna go, they wouldn't be abandoning the next 8 months.

Distributors and WB thought the same thing about Tenet.

People aren't gonna go to the movies dude. It's just not gonna happen. If the studios thought people were gonna go, they wouldn't be abandoning the next 8 months.
Open up the two biggest markets and put a film that most people want to see and then we can see if its dead or not.

Tenet is not for families or teens. I also didn't see much hype for the film, his last film made 500 million which is great but lower than most his other films. As the actor who played Falcon said movies are about the in movie characters now and less about some big director or actor attached to it

Reactions: Disneyhead
No studio is going to take that bet again. WB rolled the dice and lost out big with Tenet

One of the studios is going to get desperate enough to try it sooner or later. If we're talking mid to late 2021 before theaters are reopened, studios are going to have to release on at PVOD/Drive-ins at the very least or they're going to have shareholders riot.

I think we'll have 1-2 big ticket movies drop on PVOD over Christmas, personally.

Reactions: awhen
One of the studios is going to get desperate enough to try it sooner or later. If we're talking mid to late 2021 before theaters are reopened, studios are going to have to release on at PVOD/Drive-ins at the very least or they're going to have shareholders riot.

I think we'll have 1-2 big ticket movies drop on PVOD over Christmas, personally.
Again, I’m talking indoor theaters, not VOD

Again, I’m talking indoor theaters, not VOD

I agree with you, I'm just writing off theaters entirely (the current companies are likely going under and will be bought out). Studios are going to need some form of revenue or ability to write off losses on taxes to remain solvent over the next 12-18+ months which is what I'm referring to. There's going to be a point where the studios will just leave the theaters to the wolves and release the films themselves.

I agree with you, I'm just writing off theaters entirely (the current companies are likely going under and will be bought out). Studios are going to need some form of revenue or ability to write off losses on taxes to remain solvent over the next 12-18+ months which is what I'm referring to. There's going to be a point where the studios will just leave the theaters to the wolves and release the films themselves.
Yea, I definitely agree with that. I think it's bonkers that no one has really tried to release an at-home blockbuster.

Before someone jumps in with "But Mulan!", restricting the ability to watch it at home *only* to Disney+ made no sense whatsoever.

Reactions: awhen and Clive

Disney tried it and quite honestly, I think Mulan failing did a better job at saving movie theater's long term prospects than anything else that has come out of this. The amount Disney lost was a blood bath, and that with them keeping 100% of profits.

Disney tried it and quite honestly, I think Mulan failing did a better job at saving movie theater's long term prospects than anything else that has come out of this. The amount Disney lost was a blood bath, and that with them keeping 100% of profits.
Disney didn't really try it. They locked an upcharge behind a subscription.

Reactions: youhow2
Yea, I definitely agree with that. I think it's bonkers that no one has really tried to release an at-home blockbuster.

Before someone jumps in with "But Mulan!", restricting the ability to watch it at home *only* to Disney+ made no sense whatsoever.
It did make sense because doing it through Disney+, Disney keeps 100% of their profits rather than having to give up 20%. And if we're being honest, the type of person that was going to watch Mulan was probably already signed up for Disney+ anyway, so it being on Disney+ affected very few people as a hurdle. Also, it was released to all digital platforms at the same $30 price point today.

Status
Not open for further replies.