Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 245 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney tried it and quite honestly, I think Mulan failing did a better job at saving movie theater's long term prospects than anything else that has come out of this. The amount Disney lost was a blood bath, and that with them keeping 100% of profits.
They misfired by making it an add-on to an already paid service. They should've had it out on PVOD everywhere and discounted on Disney+ for subscribers to drive traffic that way.

Mulan/Disney is also burdened by single purchases for households. Disney's bread and butter comes from families and one $30 charge covered the entire house the kids are in plus the cousins who share the password for Disney+. Marvel/more adult franchises pull more individuals which could've lead to more sales.

AMC had terrible debt before all of this started and has more financial engineering to do in order to survive.

Theaters, as a concept and activity, will survive. That doesn't mean that someone will bailout current owners. If any of them go under and studios see them as necessary for a return to previous profits, one or more of them will step in, just like the concerns of streaming made Hulu a JV between studio competitors.

Studios also don't want to push out content when people won't come. Getting a movie out and into the zeitgeist (especially in our news cycle) is really hard, takes a lot of time, talent, and expense to get it out on top.

Reactions: n i c k
It did make sense because doing it through Disney+, Disney keeps 100% of their profits rather than having to give up 20%. And if we're being honest, the type of person that was going to watch Mulan was probably already signed up for Disney+ anyway

I'll disagree. If you have it on every digital storefront you're bound to catch more curious or bored people. We've rented numerous VOD movies because we were bored and something caught our eye on Amazon. Gating Mulan behind a D+ subscription is the definition of baffling.

Also, it was released to all digital platforms at the same $30 price point today.

A month later, when it already released to a lukewarm reception.

But the fact remains that the experiment for a big budget movie hasn't really been tried. Especially not one with a built in fanbase and hype behind it.

Reactions: awhen
Disney tried it and quite honestly, I think Mulan failing did a better job at saving movie theater's long term prospects than anything else that has come out of this. The amount Disney lost was a blood bath, and that with them keeping 100% of profits.

On one hand yeah, the failure of Mulan looks like a pretty strong indictment of PVOD but on the other hand:
  • Racism stoked by coronavirus
  • Mulan was really, really bad
  • They announced ahead of time that it would be included with D+ in a few months
all contributed to killing it in the cradle.

I'll disagree. If you have it on every digital storefront you're bound to catch more curious or bored people. We've rented numerous VOD movies because we were bored and something caught our eye on Amazon. Gating Mulan behind a D+ subscription is the definition of baffling.

A month later, when it already released to a lukewarm reception.

But the fact remains that the experiment for a big budget movie hasn't really been tried. Especially not one with a built in fanbase and hype behind it.
The idea around Premiere Access was right. The movie they chose to do it with was wrong.

To me, obviously a Mulan movie is not going to be something that most people were craving for anyway, so why pay (I didn't). But what if they had done Premiere Access with Black Widow? That becomes a HUGE movie that you have to watch if you're an MCU fan. If they didn't blow their wads on when it would be free to the service after premiere access (as @Grabnar mentions), I think Black Widow/Premiere Access would've done far better than Mulan and may have even become profitable.

Switching gears quickly, the Chinese Box Office is doing gangbusters which has to hurt if you're Regal and having to close down. How good is their box office doing? They just had TWO movies open with opening weekend box offices of more than $150M on the SAME WEEKEND.

Reactions: amar831
Christopher Nolan is a bankable name at the box office and Tenet crashed and burned. People aren't going to go to the theaters until COVID is under control.
Tenet crashed and burned because it was the wrong film at the wrong time. Basing the future of cinemas on a pretentious inaccessible action art film was dumb. I didn't go see Tenet, not because I was afraid to go to the cimema, but because I had no interest in seeing Tenet. In the days of tortured reality and mind bending stress, Tenet was the wrong film.

Tenet crashed and burned because it was the wrong film at the wrong time. Basing the future of cinemas on a pretentious inaccessible action art film was dumb. I didn't go see Tenet, not because I was afraid to go to the cimema, but because I had no interest in seeing Tenet. In the days of tortured reality and mind bending stress, Tenet was the wrong film.
It didn't matter what film it was. It was going to flop harder than a soccer player who got breathed on.

Christopher Nolan is a bankable name at the box office and Tenet crashed and burned. People aren't going to go to the theaters until COVID is under control.

This right here, although I argue that the bloom is off the Nolan rose. (I think he's a hack, don't @ me.)

Reactions: Scott W.
I’ve never heard of this website but alas.

I’ve never heard of this website but alas.

We Got This Covered is clickbait at its finest. I wouldn't put stock in it.

I think an MCU or DCEU movie is the only thing that would’ve gotten people back in theaters, but without NY or LA open, it’s tough.

If by "get people back in theaters" you mean maybe a 15-20 million opening weekend before a steep drop off, year.

We Got This Covered is clickbait at its finest. I wouldn't put stock in it.

If by "get people back in theaters" you mean maybe a 15-20 million opening weekend before a steep drop off, year.
I’m not saying it would’ve been big. Again, it cannot be overstated how important the New York and LA box office are anyway and neither were open.

I wasn’t meaning if one of those opened now, obviously it would do terrible. There probably won’t be a good opening until late next year ate the earliest.

I’m not saying it would’ve been big. Again, it cannot be overstated how important the New York and LA box office are anyway and neither were open.

I wasn’t meaning if one of those opened now, obviously it would do terrible. There probably won’t be a good opening until late next year ate the earliest.
I honestly think that as it stands right now, they're leaving money on the table not dropping movies to VOD. Mulan and Tenet were not.a good pilot program.

[The idea around Premiere Access was right. The movie they chose to do it with was wrong.]
Yeah so if I were an executive for D+ trying to test the waters of paid VODs, I would think to would choose Soul and do a $20 release because of its a new movie. (Bonus points if they released Soul in September, and around Thanksgiving time they make it free to watch for D+ subscribers) And If that was a success then push for Black Widow in December. So Black Widow comes around the holidays, and to keep the boring month of January you have WandaVision for a month because of a weekly release. 2-3 months later and Falcon & The Winter Soldier releases. Around the time of February, you get Mulan on there for free like Hamilton. Disney should hire me because that was a pretty good schedule IMO.

I honestly think that as it stands right now, they're leaving money on the table not dropping movies to VOD. Mulan and Tenet were not.a good pilot program.
I think a movie like Coming 2 America is almost certain to move to streaming. I just don’t know how big studios are willing to risk.

I think a movie like Coming 2 America is almost certain to move to streaming. I just don’t know how big studios are willing to risk.

What they should di is pull the trigger on a sure success like WW. Then you have a real idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.