Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 72 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While my intent here is not to wish or speculate on people’s jobs, we’re naturally discussing theme parks so I do have this thought:

Is there a possibility, either both at Disney or Universal but particularly Universal, is there a chance we just flat out see some attractions/shows close for good to save costs? It’s one of the only theories I can think of right now. While you’d want many things to be open to spread crowds in a time like this I’m more thinking straight up $$$ perspective. Like, I can’t imagine Barney, Animal Actors, Fear Factor, or Shrek 4-D cost a great amount to run but I wonder if some of these closures may be expedited due to this? Could be a way for them to save on a future project or two.

Or my math is nowhere near as correct as I hope it is. Obviously this is not what I want for the parks but figured it was a point of discussion.
The only one of those shows I don’t see coming back this year is Fear Factor. It’s already a seasonal attraction, draws a small audience, and closes down in July/August for HHN anyway. Animal Actors and Barney are two of the only “kid-friendly” shows in the park, so need to be available (though will likely see fewer shows).

Shrek is cheap to run, since it’s operated as a ride.

The only one of those shows I don’t see coming back this year is Fear Factor. It’s already a seasonal attraction, draws a small audience, and closes down in July/August for HHN anyway. Animal Actors and Barney are two of the only “kid-friendly” shows in the park, so need to be available (though will likely see fewer shows).

That makes sense. My main wonder/worry was they close multiple things at once to save costs. Fear Factor makes the most sense anyways.

Also random and maybe not the right thread, and everything is weird rn but stay with me for at least a moment, why has Universal never gone for the rights of Elf? Maybe I'm just unaware if they used to, but, the movie had a Broadway show and I could see a musical version selling incredibly well in the parks during Christmas. Idk where the rights belong but its almost shocking they haven't and it'd likely fit well into that theatre

Reactions: tankart150
Just guessing here, but Studios has Macy’s parade and IOA has Whoville/Grinch and now the holiday Hogsmeade show. You can only spend your marketing dollars on so much before you end up diluting the message, meaning there’s no point in having 12 holiday offerings to market because the GP can’t remember 12 messages.

I'd think fewer shows would be counter productive. Fewer shows means people who want to see them will be more likely to crowd in.(ie - if 10000 people want to see a show, 5 shows mean 2000 per show. 10 shows means 1000 per show) If spacing people out is a priority, more shows and showtimes make more sense.

Just guessing here, but Studios has Macy’s parade and IOA has Whoville/Grinch and now the holiday Hogsmeade show. You can only spend your marketing dollars on so much before you end up diluting the message, meaning there’s no point in having 12 holiday offerings to market because the GP can’t remember 12 messages.
Ya that’s fair, but, that’d only make 2 specific offerings per park, so, if they want people spending a full day at each park....

But I fully see your point and do agree to an extent

Things at the Mouse House aren't looking good. Iger has taken over the CEO role again and they have had to take out a $5 Billion loan to cover "day-to-day operations". This is what I was afraid of when they laid off Imagineering.

Last edited:
My family and I are doing the Antibody blood test this Saturday.

I really, really hope we had it already.

Thinking of something like cruise ships- I wonder if they can give a steep discount to someone who can produce a positive antibody test. A cruise with 80% “immune” would allow them to start up sooner. Or maybe even require proof of antibody to cruise. They aren’t American ships (always fly under another flag- usually Bahamas- to get away with labor practices, etc) but I don’t know if they still have to abide by HIPA laws if they’re leaving domestically.

Thinking of something like cruise ships- I wonder if they can give a discount to someone who can produce an antibody test for a steep discount. A cruise with 80% “immune” would allow them to start up sooner. Or maybe even require it to cruise. They aren’t American ships (always fly under another flag- usually Bahamas- to get away with labor practices, etc) but I don’t know if they still have to abide by HIPA laws if they’re leaving domestically.

CDC isn't going to let them disembark people in US territory for 100 days at last notice. A lot of other countries have closed to cruises as well. It's not up to the lines on when they can open up at this point. We'll probably have Disney fireworks and full stadiums before cruises go again.

Thinking of something like cruise ships- I wonder if they can give a steep discount to someone who can produce a positive antibody test. A cruise with 80% “immune” would allow them to start up sooner. Or maybe even require proof of antibody to cruise. They aren’t American ships (always fly under another flag- usually Bahamas- to get away with labor practices, etc) but I don’t know if they still have to abide by HIPA laws if they’re leaving domestically.

How are you getting the antibody test?

How are you getting the antibody test?
Asked my wife and turns out it’s just her, not all of us.

This particular one is a study, I believe. $20

500 for Plano, 500 for ft worth, and 500 for Dallas.

They split it for each.
250 who think they possibly had it previously in the last few months but have no symptoms anymore (this is her). They test in the morning.

250 for those who think they currently have it but dr won’t test because symptoms aren’t severe. They test in afternoon.

Will be a finger p.rick/blood sample.

Fort Worth actually has a place for a drive up antibody test for $75. Anybody can go at anytime.

CDC isn't going to let them disembark people in US territory for 100 days at last notice. A lot of other countries have closed to cruises as well. It's not up to the lines on when they can open up at this point. We'll probably have Disney fireworks and full stadiums before cruises go again.

My town, which has 150-200 cruise ship visits per summer season has banned visits until July 1... so far. They had already banned April. Sorry to bore you with small town news but it is a microcosm of big bucks summer tourism. The state of Maine is frigged without the tax dollars from the coastal towns here.

I'd be willing to bet cruise lines start up fairly quickly. They have virus outbreaks on a fairly regular basis. Of all the tourism industries out there they probably have the best in place sanitation procedures. Now port calls are a different story.

I'd be willing to bet cruise lines start up fairly quickly. They have virus outbreaks on a fairly regular basis. Of all the tourism industries out there they probably have the best in place sanitation procedures. Now port calls are a different story.

They have to have ports that will let them embark and disembark passengers. Right now the US, and many other countries aren't letting that happen. We know the cruise lines would start doing cruises tomorrow is they were allowed. But not much they can do if they can't get passengers on the ships.

Reactions: Clive and Teebin
Things at the Mouse House aren't looking good. Iger has taken over the CEO role again and they have had to take out a $5 Billion loan to cover "day-to-day operations". This is what I was afraid of when they laid off Imagineering.

Unsecured is better than Citibank wanting collateral, but it’s still not ideal. And certainly less ideal than having a pile of cash sitting in the bank instead of all those stock certificates they bought back.

Maybe they got a 0.00% interest rate from Citibank in exchange for the ATM rights at WDW and DLR.

Loans are real (up to $13bn over the year if needed) but the "taken over the CEO role again" is not true, he's doing his roll as Executive Chairman. Maybe a little unconventional but nothing unexpected.

And for those wondering how the digital release of a major feature like Trolls 2 was going to go, "record breaking" is the term used.

Other things not used: actual money figures. As far as we know the record-breaking number is just bigger than $0.

Status
Not open for further replies.