Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 73 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Other things not used: actual money figures. As far as we know the record-breaking number is just bigger than $0.

This one says 10x 2nd's opening day which was JW:FK at $2-$3 million opening day. If that means a $20-$30 million opening day, that's pretty good. Idk that it would have did a lot more than that opening weekend in theaters. The rest of the weekend and what kind of numbers it does from here on out are another question entirely though.

Reactions: tankart150
I'd be willing to bet cruise lines start up fairly quickly. They have virus outbreaks on a fairly regular basis. Of all the tourism industries out there they probably have the best in place sanitation procedures. Now port calls are a different story.

Two big issues I see:
(1) Cruises need lead time to fill rooms. There's no AP community or season ticket holders (well, a much smaller community) who would be there tomorrow if they announced today they were re-opening.
(2) There have been no horror stories involving the outbreak and theme parks, movie theaters, sports stadiums, etc. There have been quite a few about passengers trapped on cruise ships. TV news, local morning radio, social media, they've been everywhere. I love DCL more than I love the parks--that said, I will rope-drop MK as soon as it opens, but after reading about being on a ship with dwindling food reserves and the captain negotiating to let Americans off on U.S. soil, I'm not sure I'd take a free Disney cruise for many months.

Other things not used: actual money figures. As far as we know the record-breaking number is just bigger than $0.

John Campea claiming $26-27M for the weekend, a little less than half of what the original brought in for an apples to oranges comparison.

Two big issues I see:
(1) Cruises need lead time to fill rooms. There's no AP community or season ticket holders (well, a much smaller community) who would be there tomorrow if they announced today they were re-opening.
(2) There have been no horror stories involving the outbreak and theme parks, movie theaters, sports stadiums, etc. There have been quite a few about passengers trapped on cruise ships. TV news, local morning radio, social media, they've been everywhere. I love DCL more than I love the parks--that said, I will rope-drop MK as soon as it opens, but after reading about being on a ship with dwindling food reserves and the captain negotiating to let Americans off on U.S. soil, I'm not sure I'd take a free Disney cruise for many months.

John Campea claiming $26-27M for the weekend, a little less than half of what the original brought in for an apples to oranges comparison.
Keep in mind the time we’re living through. There would be giant watch party’s with only one $19.99 rental in any normal time.

What cut do the likes of Apple or Amazon take compared to cinemas?
Roughly 80/20 Studio/Distributor for VOD.

Opening weekend in a movie theater is more like 70/30-ish depending on the movie and the % balances out the longer a movie plays in theaters so that’s why studios like to make most of their money upfront. Long box office runs mean higher earnings for the theaters.

Keep in mind though that Comcast took home 100% from anyone who rented through xfinity.

I've been trying to get some hard data about HEPA filters and viruses. There's not really a lot of data that I've been able to find, a few old NASA studies about particle size filtration through HEPA filters, but that's about it.
The virus that causes COVID-19 is approximately 0.125 micron (125 nanometers) in diameter. That falls squarely within the particle-size range that HEPA filters capture with extraordinary efficiency: 0.01 micron (10 nanometers) and above. Many media outlets have incorrectly stated that HEPA filters don’t filter below 0.3 micron, and therefore could not capture airborne coronavirus. That is flat wrong. (This NASA study of HEPA filtration is quite technical, but the graph on page 7 and the preceding paragraph do a good job of explaining why HEPA filters are actually most efficient—almost 100 percent at 0.01 micron—at capturing ultrafine particles below the 0.3 micron HEPA test standard.)
If it does filter virus out of the air, how would everyone feel about high throughput HEPA filters in all of the show buildings? It seems like that might be required if you want to start re-opening parks anytime soon.

I've been trying to get some hard data about HEPA filters and viruses. There's not really a lot of data that I've been able to find, a few old NASA studies about particle size filtration through HEPA filters, but that's about it.
If it does filter virus out of the air, how would everyone feel about high throughput HEPA filters in all of the show buildings? It seems like that might be required if you want to start re-opening parks anytime soon.
With UV-C light on the intake? I think they already have that on the market and many public spaces have them installed but I'm not a HVAC guy so I'm not sure.

One take on it

There's a lot of people cycling through show buildings. The AC units would have to be capable of recirculating the entire building's airflow every couple minutes. I don't think that's the case.

There's a lot of people cycling through show buildings. The AC units would have to be capable of recirculating the entire building's airflow every couple minutes. I don't think that's the case.

Doesn't have to be AC units, you can have the individual HEPA filters hidden in buildings

Or with HHN you could build venting structures to pull air near the ground and return at face level to ensure clean airflow and rapid settling of droplets.

Doesn't have to be AC units, you can have the individual HEPA filters hidden in buildings

Or with HHN you could build venting structures to pull air near the ground and return at face level to ensure clean airflow and rapid settling of droplets.
I seriously don't think people should be expecting to see HHN this year

I don't think we'll see a hard-ticket HHN this year.

I think we'll see a couple houses built and they'll be open to regular park guests as a way to entice people to come to Universal.
Nope. The event will either happen in its entirety, or they'll put what they've made into mothballs so they can cut costs on the event next year.

The whole point is I doubt there's going to be an event this year predicated on invading your personal space.

Nope. The event will either happen in its entirety, or they'll put what they've made into mothballs so they can cut costs on the event next year.

The whole point is I doubt there's going to be an event this year predicated on invading your personal space.

As grim as this is, I could see a scenario where it happens in Florida but not California due to the disparities in restrictions each state is likely to see.

That is, straight up, not feasible. They’re already maximizing the amount of space they have. Throw a ventilation system into everything (especially the houses that are already built) would require building everything on a raised platform or add copious amounts of runners above the houses for all the duct work.

Plus, you’re asking for vents everywhere throughout the houses.
As grim as this is, I could see a scenario where it happens in Florida but not California due to the disparities in restrictions each state is likely to see.
This is my expectation.

I do not expect this. not because I expect Florida to have stringent regulation, but because I don't see Comcast risking a lawsuit when an entire house contracts COVID because someone with the disease coughed in everyone's face during scares.

Or entire casts...
Right. Imagine how easy this can spread through every house and street when the whole event is TMs thrusting their face and hands near other people's faces. I just do not see Comcast taking that kind of risk.

EDIT: On top of the company not wanting the risk, imagine how hard it will be to hire the people to do it. They have a hard enough time keeping HHN staffed as-is, the first time a cast gets sick they'll have people dropping off like flies.

I agree, Comcast would rather cancel the event out of an abundance of caution than infect a couple hundred thousand people. Cynically, even if they don't care about the infections they'd certainly care about the lowered attendance.

I think a lot of this is going to depend on the results from the serology tests that have started rolling out in the last week or so. Scotland just announced some preliminary results that showed for every 1 confirmed case they likely had somewhere between 60-70 unidentified cases (based off of the 0.6% hit rate for antibodies from the study vs the 600 cases they had at publication) that did not result in deaths or severe infection; Minnesota believes their number might be somewhere around 100.

Status
Not open for further replies.