Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 74 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right. Imagine how easy this can spread through every house and street when the whole event is TMs thrusting their face and hands near other people's faces. I just do not see Comcast taking that kind of risk.

EDIT: On top of the company not wanting the risk, imagine how hard it will be to hire the people to do it. They have a hard enough time keeping HHN staffed as-is, the first time a cast gets sick they'll have people dropping off like flies.

This is a very fair point. I think some of this is going to hinge on what happens legislatively. I know conservatives were rallying around a point that would make businesses effectively immune from lawsuits relating to facilitating infections as a means of avoiding this sort of apprehension.

This is a very fair point. I think some of this is going to hinge on what happens legislatively. I know conservatives were rallying around a point that would make businesses effectively immune from lawsuits relating to facilitating infections as a means of avoiding this sort of apprehension.
But even if the company was immune from lawsuits, imagine the headlines. "Universal's Halloween Horror Nights Turns Into Employee Health Nightmare Nights" is not something Universal or Comcast want.

So, do any of you expect that mandatory masks at all theme parks might be a thing? It seems like a tall order in the summer heat and humidity of Florida even though there is circumstantial evidence that it lowers transmission. I couldn’t/wouldn’t handle it out of doors.

So, do any of you expect that mandatory masks at all theme parks might be a thing?

Yes. I think until there is a vaccine that is widely available, going to a park will be a completely different experience. Mandatory masks, fever checks, designated times for meals, all meals ordered on mobile, all ride times scheduled to decrease queues, etc.

And the only way any of that is feasible is if the crowd visitation is as low as I expect it to be for a while.

Also, if theme parks are going to be adopting social distancing measures, doesn’t that mean 6 feet apart or so and thus makes it impossible for an event like HHN to even occur?

So, do any of you expect that mandatory masks at all theme parks might be a thing? It seems like a tall order in the summer heat and humidity of Florida even though there is circumstantial evidence that it lowers transmission. I couldn’t/wouldn’t handle it out of doors.

I don't see it happening. Kids would be next to impossible to make wear them. On coasters they are going to fly off. They will end up thrown down on the ground creating a biohazard for employees and guests.

Also, if theme parks are going to be adopting social distancing measures, doesn’t that mean 6 feet apart or so and thus makes it impossible for an event like HHN to even occur?

It makes rides impossible if you are going to go down that rabbit hole. Row one on Hagrid's coughs during a launch and everyone gets it.

Reactions: tankart150
Yes. I think until there is a vaccine that is widely available, going to a park will be a completely different experience. Mandatory masks, fever checks, designated times for meals, all meals ordered on mobile, all ride times scheduled to decrease queues, etc.

And the only way any of that is feasible is if the crowd visitation is as low as I expect it to be for a while.
I think you’re (sadly) right on for how the parks are going to operate for at least the next year. Very worrisome for their business but we shall see how it all plays out.

Seems difficult in a theme park setting between all the food and drinks options. Staying hydrated is very important.

For me personally i'd be touching my face more if I were wearing a mask. Between sweating and readjusting.

IMHO

Cedar Point has a lot of (don’t know how else to put this) foreign labor operating its attractions for the season. If that program goes away, best case is limited capacity.

I don’t know if I’d bet on a lost year yet, but I would place a bet on zero days of all coasters operating.

California is doing a very slow roll-back. And Santa Clara county (San Jose) isn’t expecting sports/concerts until Thanksgiving.

I'm thinking:
Limited Daily Park Capacity
Limited Queues (everything becomes 'get your return time')
Slower Load Times (ride vehicles sanitized between every ride, must allow for at least 30 seconds)
Limited Quick service dining options
Mobile order only in CityWalk

Honestly though, people aren't dumb and are implementing the 6ft rule much better than they were
Just go to the store and people are avoiding each other like....well....you know..

I'm thinking:
Limited Daily Park Capacity
Limited Queues (everything becomes 'get your return time')
Slower Load Times (ride vehicles sanitized between every ride, must allow for at least 30 seconds)
Limited Quick service dining options
Mobile order only in CityWalk

Honestly though, people aren't dumb and are implementing the 6ft rule much better than they were
Just go to the store and people are avoiding each other like....well....you know..

Would the parks be able to charge the same price?

I don't doubt for a second that people would still be flocking to the parks, especially the bloggers and if they're having a limited capacity, do they do something similar to what they've been doing for Rise?

Roughly 80/20 Studio/Distributor for VOD.

Opening weekend in a movie theater is more like 70/30-ish depending on the movie and the % balances out the longer a movie plays in theaters so that’s why studios like to make most of their money upfront. Long box office runs mean higher earnings for the theaters.

Keep in mind though that Comcast took home 100% from anyone who rented through xfinity.

Comcast also took 100% from those who rented through fandangoNOW

I think the best strategy for opening Disney and Universal is to let a handful of rich folks enjoy an empty park.
So what you're saying is...

screen_shot_2019_10_10_at_20030_pmpng.png

Not sure if this was posted yesterday... Gov. Newsom of California said that mass gatherings of hundreds or thousdands would likely be banned through the summer. That leaves all theme parks in the state having to stay closed until that ban is lifted. Also will effect concerts, sporting events, and conventions.

As of right now, San Diego Comic-Con hasn't been cancelled as they were being hopeful, but it surely will have to be with rules like that in place. The rescheduled date for coachella almost certainly won't happen, too, while we're at it.

Last edited:
Not sure if this was posted yesterday... Gov. Newsom of California said that mass gatherings of hundreds or thousdands would likely be banned through the summer. That leaves all theme parks in the state having to stay closed until that ban is lifted. Also will effect concerts, sporting events, etc.
Prediction: I really doubt he will be able to go through with this. I think there’s going to be too much pressure from states opening up, from Trump, and from everyone else who just want to enjoy their Summer.

Lets be realistic. Does he seriously expect everyone to stay inside and do nothing ALL SUMMER!? Especially when spring has been canceled?

Prediction: I really doubt he will be able to go through with this. I think there’s going to be too much pressure from states opening up, from Trump, and from everyone else who just want to enjoy their Summer.

Lets be realistic. Does he seriously expect everyone to stay inside and do nothing ALL SUMMER!? Especially when spring has been canceled?
None of the Governors are listening to Trump. Wanna know why? Because he left them out to dry and told them to figure it out when they needed help. Trump also doesn't have the power to override the states.

Also, this would not prevent people from not going and doing things. This is gatherings of hundreds or thousands. Sure that would close down theme parks, concerts, etc. Malls may have to run at limited capacity. But most of the world would be back open to normal. Movie theaters and everything like that would potentially be open. I think he's taking a sensible approach.

This would not be a shelter-in-place all summer. Far from it. But we ARE going to need to practice physical distancing in PUBLIC SPACES until a vaccine is ready. Masks and all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.